Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

biglag

My Hardie Backer smoker - thanks blusin

The size is 25x43x17. It took 9 sheets of hardie backer board. Cost was around $700, mostly for hardware. The racks are 25x15 and can fit 3-4 butts each and smoker holds 4 cooking racks spaced at 6" apart. I bought 8 racks total, so that was $130 right there. If anyone plans on doing one of these, I'd highly highly recommend buying the paint by the quart instead of trying to spray it. And buy plenty of Gorilla glue to save yourself from multiple trips to the hardware store. If I were to do this exact smoker again, I could build it for under $500 because I had lots of waste. Also, I used casters which aren't neccessary, two thermo's, 4 handles on the sides, and a huge handle on the door. Doing away with that alone would save another $100. Something else I'd do different is better or more hinges. I have a sagging door that I need to lift every time to close it properly. I also wasted lots of paint by trying to spray which was 8 bucks a can. My first burn in this i fired it up to about 500 degrees for 5 hours. This is for sure meant for low temps. My top and door both warped because of the heat so I lost my seal and had to use an oven gasket to get the door to seal back up. I do think this is going to make a great smoker, as long as it holds up. My first cook only lasted about 6 hours on about 8 lbs of coals but I had the water pan in there. My second cook without the water pan was about 7 hours on maybe 5 lbs of coals....and i was able to maintain 225-275 the whole time. Once i add a better basket, I'm sure the cook time will be even better. A smoker this size from one of the manufacturers would have cost over $3g's. Thanks blusin for your help!

post-22066-0-52493500-1372696596_thumb.jpg

another great thing is the heat retention on this thing. It only takes about 30-40 seconds to get the temp back after opening the door. Although a second door for the coals may not be a bad idea because of all the air introduced with an open door often causes the temps to spike a bit.

Wow, that is a thing of beauty! Nice work. Keep us posted on how it performs.