grill3r

Spare ribs on a propane grill

Hello-- I have a Weber Spirit E-210 and want to grill ribs for the first time. I bought spare ribs from Publix, am going to trim them St Louis style and use a rub and sauce.

Looking around online I have found many different lengths- from 45 minutes to 6 hours.

Any recommendations on temp/time using a grill like mine and spare ribs?

Having a friendly competition for the holiday tomorrow and I am new to this; any help is appreciated!

Hello-- I have a Weber Spirit E-210 and want to grill ribs for the first time. I bought spare ribs from Publix, am going to trim them St Louis style and use a rub and sauce.

Looking around online I have found many different lengths- from 45 minutes to 6 hours.

Any recommendations on temp/time using a grill like mine and spare ribs?

Having a friendly competition for the holiday tomorrow and I am new to this; any help is appreciated!

Sorry you didn't get any replies in time. But for gas-cooked ribs, generally a little hotter and faster works best. Many foil the ribs for part of the cook to keep them moist and help tenderize them. Try 2 hours at ~300° then 2 hours foiled tightly with a little apple juice or bbq sauce at 300° then a little time over direct heat to crisp them up. If you try to do a true low-and-slow at 225-250° it would be closer to 6 hours. If you cooked at 350-400°, you could finish them in 2-3 hours. Best way to know when they're done is to lift them on one side with some tongs and see how much it "sags" and if the bark breaks slightly. Also stick it with a toothpick in several spots to feel for tenderness. It should go right in and out without much resistance.

That recipe is for baby backs not spares which are a totally different animal (so to speak)

Thanks for the advice-- I winged it on Thursday and they came out pretty good.

I think I need to cook longer/slower next time, they could have been more tender.

Also more sauce-- but they tasted amazing:

photo_1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo_2.jpg