HoustonTexan

Cast Iron Grates for Jenn Air drop in grill needed

I am on my third set of "stainless" grates. They swell and split. I want to go to a more durable cast iron grate. Any suggestions of a place to buy? I looked at Music City Metals but they dont seem to have the correct size of 12.5" x 19.25" x 3 or an overall dimension of 36.5" x 19.250". Thanks for the advice in advance!

Stainless is FAR more rugged than CI but on your grill ou really don't have TRUE SS grates they are stainless tubes with steel or cast iron inside. Basically not good stuff

the most expensive grates you can buy are s/s, 304 is the key word your looking for when buying. Some are thin, others like mine on my Jenn-Air are thick and really heavy. But if you really want to try cast iron go to shopnexgrill.com with your model number you can look to see if they are available. Nexgrill is the same as Jenn-Air. Be prepared to spend about $200 on a good set. Hope this was of some help. Ken

I am on my third set of "stainless" grates. They swell and split. I want to go to a more durable cast iron grate. Any suggestions of a place to buy? I looked at Music City Metals but they dont seem to have the correct size of 12.5" x 19.25" x 3 or an overall dimension of 36.5" x 19.250". Thanks for the advice in advance!

Have you considered GrillGrates, which are anodized aluminum? I have a set on my Charbroil Quantum and they work well and will definately outlast my POS grill. They have the added benefit of reducing flareups and evening out grate temperatures.

Some things to keep in mind about aluminum. First while a very good conductor it does not "hold" heat well. One reason it is so hard to caramelize and brown stuff in aluminum cookware. It also does not get as hot as cast iron or heavy steel (stainless). There is simply not enough mass to do the job. As for grill grates basically all they do is turn a grill in to an oven. They are basically what Charbroil tries to foist off as "true infrared" which is a total line of crap. All CB does is slip a thin screen under the grate or as part of the grate and voila infrared ROFLMAO.

Thanks. Mine are quite heavy on my Jenn Air too but they do appear to be covered tubes. The splitting occurs toward the back of the grill where it seems to be the hottest

the most expensive grates you can buy are s/s, 304 is the key word your looking for when buying. Some are thin, others like mine on my Jenn-Air are thick and really heavy. But if you really want to try cast iron go to shopnexgrill.com with your model number you can look to see if they are available. Nexgrill is the same as Jenn-Air. Be prepared to spend about $200 on a good set. Hope this was of some help. Ken

Most of the Chinese "stuff" uses these fake SS grates. They try to make people think they're getting real SS cooking grates. They don't last and they don't actually work as well as either REAL SS or REAL cast iron.

Some things to keep in mind about aluminum. First while a very good conductor it does not "hold" heat well. One reason it is so hard to caramelize and brown stuff in aluminum cookware. It also does not get as hot as cast iron or heavy steel (stainless). There is simply not enough mass to do the job. As for grill grates basically all they do is turn a grill in to an oven. They are basically what Charbroil tries to foist off as "true infrared" which is a total line of crap. All CB does is slip a thin screen under the grate or as part of the grate and voila infrared ROFLMAO.

Hood,

I have to respectfully disagree with you concerning grillgrates. They get wicked hot, as hot or hotter than the solid stainless grates on my first JA and create the darkest grill marks of any grate I have ever used, including porcelain coated cast iron. They are also different from the stock CB "infrared grates" in that they allow a lot more convection heat through because the holes are much larger. As for turning the grill into an oven, there is no difference in the way food tastes with grillgrates, the CB grates, or any of the other grates that I have used with gas grills.

To kinda chime in where Hood left off, the grill grates remind me of a ribbed griddle with holes in them I am always leery of any product that uses the "no flare up" catch phrase, for me I depend on those exposed flames to "chargrill" what I am grilling.

I found this demo of the grill grates as RonG pointed out Wow really nice grill marks, But unfortunately the rest of the meat is very much lacking any sear, so to go to Hoods point about the "oven" if I put the grill grates in my oven and preheated it to say 500ish and threw a steak on, I would assume about the same results as this pic of the finished rib eye's on the grill grates post-6248-0-79694100-1373222492_thumb.png

This is what I would aspect to see over a conventional grate where the meat is subject to "flare ups" post-6248-0-22696900-1373222574_thumb.png

As far as Charbroil being a IR grill, I find that laughable as well, the layman (like myself) equates the term IR to mean my foods being cooked rapidly over some glowing mass of extremely high heat, by CB's standards if I put a sheet tray over my conventional burners my grill is now magically an IR grill, and I actually do that often, when I am basically using my grill as an oven and don't want direct heat hitting my food.

For my tastes in beef and the way I prefer to grill, I'm going for the latter of the two methods.

Just my opinion though.

Sorry in advance for the size of the first pic ;)

jim

Jim,

I agree with you about the charbroil infrared grates to an extent; I would get great grill marks next to grayish-brown meat that was between the grates. My results with the grillgrates are very close to the second picture you showed, although if you like the entire surface of your steak more charred, then grillgrates won't do it for you, and the original CB quantum grates won't even come close. Bottom line, grillgrates perform more like regular grates(with less flare ups) then the CB quantum grates.

I never said "they don't get hot" but physics are physics and because they have nowhere near the mass of steel or CI they could never hold the same amount of heat. Example I have VERY expensive aluminum cookware. (not talking cheap Chinese crap but true thick made in USA stuff). I could leave it on a burner til hell froze over yet it will not brown food like a good old Lodge CI pan or even my high quality stainless stuff. It dies not have the mass to do it. Basically if I have high end very heavy 3/8" SS grates why on earth would I waste my time and money covering them up?

I don't think JA used solid SS stuff either. I believe they were stainless tubes with iron inside. Not a good device. There is air space inside and of course different rates of expansion and if you had these it could account for your perceived lack of performance form the JA grates. As for me for the most part give me some good old fashioned flame kissed food. If I don't want that than with a high quality grill the temps can be controlled to remove the threat of flames.

But bottom line if they make you feel good use them. For my way of thinking if I already have high quality equipment I have no need or desire

Basically if I have high end very heavy 3/8" SS grates why on earth would I waste my time and money covering them up?

Who is saying you should cover up SS grates? The OP has to replace his wrapped SS grates which are splitting, hence my recommendation of grillgrates.

I don't think JA used solid SS stuff either.

My original JA (2005 three burner) had solid SS grates, but my second one (2008) had wrapped grates like the OP.