Sign in to follow this  
Ronald

Making you own sausage or ground meat

Since we were talking about how bad stuff was in the stores I got the idea to start grinding my own

Does anyone grind there own meat and make there own sausage?

What do you use to grind the meat?

Since we were talking about how bad stuff was in the stores I got the idea to start grinding my own

Does anyone grind there own meat and make there own sausage?

What do you use to grind the meat?

I do it all the time now. First let's cover burger meat. I quit buying ground beef quite a while ago. Ya know how when you buy a package of what looks like really good ground beef and you open the "pile" up and what you find is the inside all brown and smelly? Well they take the good stuff and wrap over the brown. Yuuuuk! I buy whatever cut of meat suits my fancy. A chuck roast, sometimes a brisket, one of the best I have found is what one store sells as boneless shortribs (even though they a shoulder steaks). I trim any excess fat and try to keep my fat to lean ratio at about 75%. I don't care what the AMA says I hate eating a dry mealy burger ;) Once I have my meat trimmed the way I like it is cut into chunks/strips I place it on a sheet pan and freeze it for a short while (until it firms up). I also throw the kitchenaid grinder attachment in the freezer (the auger, plates knife and housing). After about half hour to 45 min I put the grinder on my KA stand unit with the coarse die and do an initial grind. I than follow with the fine die and a second grind. Trust me you never tasted a burger so good.

Sausage. I buy really nice cuts of pork shoulder (either the whole roast or what Sam's sells as country style ribs). I trim out all sinew and bone, again take excess fat out. I trim the meat into chunks and from here I toast fennel seeds, I get my fresh garlic and other seasonings (here I go nowhere near the amount of salt in a commercial mix) once my dry seasonings are together I put them in my little KA food processor/mini chopper and grind it all up. The spices and garlic blend gets put in the chunked up pork and mixed thoroughly allowed to rest in the fridge an hour or so while the grinder att is in the freezer. I than follow the same procedure as the burger grind. I make my sausages in to patties as I don't have a stuffer attachment. I will tell you it is the best sausage I ever ate unless I go back to the time my grandpa made it when I was a kid. I make mine rather mild but you can add heat if you like. I cook it Tony Soprano style. First I get my peppers (and onions if you like) and slice fairly thick. I get them grilling. I throw the sausage patties on the grill and brown one side. I than put the patties browned side up on top the pile of peppers and let everything finish together. The sausage juices drip through the peppers and gives drop dead flavor. The whole mess get's put on a nice crusty roll and tute e' tavola eh mangiare' eh bere' Loosely translated come to table eat and drink! :)

Disturbing. Just had a good breakfast and now I'm hungry all over again! :huh:

Thanks, hood. (And thanks for asking Ronald.) We really don't need more than than to get started. This post is now copied into a file in my Grilling folder called "Hood's Ground Meats". Doesn't matter, except as quality or preference demands, what you use to grind with -- but these simple instructions provide the oomph.

Rich

Disturbing. Just had a good breakfast and now I'm hungry all over again! :huh:

Thanks, hood. (And thanks for asking Ronald.) We really don't need more than than to get started. This post is now copied into a file in my Grilling folder called "Hood's Ground Meats". Doesn't matter, except as quality or preference demands, what you use to grind with -- but these simple instructions provide the oomph.

Rich

Rich

They say tastes and smells trigger strong memories. Well I'll tell ya, there are times I suddenly am brought back to that little round brazier grill my grandpa had. I can still smell the homemade sausages grilling at my Uncle Massimo's hands on holidays like father's day and other summer get togethers along with pieces of chicken, grammas egg plant parmesan, mostacolli with sunday gravy and a host of other goodies. Playing in the alley and so on. Anyway what I did was go online for a basic mild sausage recipe than experimented until I triggered those sensations of smell and taste.

Of course now I am the grandpa and my little grandson always wants to come outside to help his "papa" at the grill. We lost grandpa and gramma well over 20 years ago but not a day goes by (especially now) I don't miss them and those backyard/alley summer cook outs.............................oh well can't type anymore

I kinda have a decent recipe figured out if you want it I'll post it or PM it to you. It really is all kinda from memories though

Hood - I hear you on the "grandpa" thing. My best sausage memories come from my Grandpa and nothing I've ever bought has ever come up to his homemade sausage. He and my Dad raised their own pigs - so you know the meat was prepped just by the food fed to those pigs. Of course - could never do this myself, not in me to raise an animal for food and kill it...

But I can't shake the memorable meals, especially that sausage. Seems to me we had a member here, maybe Old Bill, or something like that who contributed a lot about making our own sausage. Hood - yours sounds great, for myself, just a bit lazy (perhaps short of time) to do this myself. But someday...

I still prefer chopped beef from Costco. I don't take the packages in the cases - I ask and they ground me several pounds as I wait. Whatever they use - tastes just fine for our meatloaf, burgers, meat balls, etc..

Do NOT ever eat a Wawa breakfast sausage sandwich... :(

mike

Yeah, I'm with you both on the memories though mine was really two short experiences with a favorite uncle. Uncle Pete (RIP) was (strangely :blink: ) Italian. (Not "a strange Italian" but "strangely enough, Italian.) One memory was the only time I ever got to eat his homemade Italian sausage with speghetti. I've never found anything as good since. The other time he stopped by to visit us in NC shortly after we built our house while he was driving from FL to CT. He told me that in CT he would buy cherry peppers and stuff them with provolone and prosciutto jarred in EVOO. But in FL he couldn't find cherry peppers, only jalapenos. He left me with a jar that today has me licking my lips with the memory.

Hood, I'd be glad to have your recipe to start and will exercise my usual judgement to adjust to my taste. And then I'll eat!

Rich

I'll try and put it up tomorrow or sat Rich

OK Rich here ya go. This is for about 3 lbs of pork. Last time I did this I bought a 4.5 lb pork shoulder roast (figuring I'd lose 1.5 lb in waste bone, cartilage and excess fat. I was right on the nose. I worked on that butt like a surgeon ;).

I used about 2 tbs of minced garlic (fresh), about 1.5 tbs paprika (hot or sweet at your preference I use sweet), 1 tsp fennel seeds (I toast these first), about 1 tbs Kosher salt (if table salt use less or to taste), 1/2 tsp cayenne (if hot paprika eliminate), some fresh parsley (Italian about 2 tbs)., and 1 tbs (or to taste fresh ground black pepper). If you're stuffing into casing about 3 tbs of good red dry wine. However in my experimenting while the wine adds a nice flavor if you're just making into patties I found it best to eliminate this.

I take all my dry spices along with the parsley and garlic and put in a food processor to grind together. I cut the trimmed out meat in to 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces and put all the spices in the bowl with it mixing it well and let it sit in fridge to hang out for about an hour. Than I grind the meat twice with a relatively coarse die. I make a small patty and fry it to check taste/texture and adjust as needed.

Enjoy!

Thanks, hood. Looks pretty easy and I have everything on hand, so as soon as things settle around here...

Rich

I know this is an old thread, but with the kitchenaid grinder, you can make any kind of sausages. For all types of protein, I use pork fat - does not melt fast like chicken and beef fat. For chicken sausage, use thigh meat, and for beef sausage, you can use chuck. For fish, I do not use pork far, but I do small dice scallops - especially when making shrimp sausage to mimic the appearance of fat chunks. I have made so many varieties of sausages over the years, and many times it is trial and error. I do some of them coarse ground, and some fine ground, depending on what texture I want the cooked sausage to be. As for most, I grind and season the protein, decide on what kinds of garnishes I want (ex. like cranberries and nuts for turkey sausage) and fold them in at the end. The kitchenaid stuffer is no good. It will grind all of your garnishes and that is not good. If you are serious about stuffers, there is a good one at gander mountain for about $130. I have made so many different types, and the possibilities are endless. If you are into curing sausages too for smoking, there is another whole world of things you can do.