Ronald

What Vacuum sealer do you use

Since I have started grinding my own meat I found that I needed a way to properly store it.

I also figured out I needed a better way to store my fresh caught fish

There are a ton of Vacuum sealers on the market.

I thought it would be a good idea if we let each other no which ones are worth it

Since I have started grinding my own meat I found that I needed a way to properly store it.

I thought it would be a good idea if we let each other no which ones are worth it

Mines the brand "seal a meal" and has worked for years, it not only seals the plastic but sucks the air out, I think it was about 40-50 bucks, then you have to buy the bags to go with it, you can get pre sized bags or rolls and make your own bags.

Works good though Ron no more freezer burn and with certain bags you can use them like the old school "boiling bags" like food came in back in the day before the advent of the microwave.

jim

We have the same one as Jim. Works pretty well but sometimes the seal isn't tight. When it is though it works fine.

Here's my $0.02. I seal and marinade a lot of meats; venison, trout, tuna, fowl & beef. For light/medium home-use the lower priced (entry-level) FoodSaver brands work well; V2244 & V2450 ($79~$130). They provide plenty of vacuum; enough to keep even delicate trout fresh. I've used both but own and recommend the V2450 (10years now). The drawback on these is the cycle-time between seals after 3-4 years of (medium) use; they seem to lose a bit of vacuum pressure and require a cool-down time between seals. For a bit more money, I'd suggest the newer FoodSaver Outdoorsman-Premium; my hunting buddies claim no vacuum power loss after 2-years of heavy use; it's built stout but runs about $200. When my V2450 gives out, it's my next purchase (based on size, price & durability). If money and kitchen space were not an issue, I'd own the Weston 2300. However, money is an issue for me and at $400+ I'd consider it more of an entry level commercial unit. But man are they strong and versatile. I'm curious if anyone else has recommendations in the $200 range.

You can always look at Allied Kenco at home models and dream about the commercial puppies. http://www.alliedkenco.com/370.aspx

I purchased a Foodsaver 3880

I got it from Costco so I got a ton of extras.

It works pretty well.

I am now trying different roles of bags

I have a FoodSaver V3860 and am quite fond of it. Bought it used but new in the box off of Craigslist for $100 from what turned out to be my nearby neighbor. Small world. I really like the marinating canister. I use generic 11" rolls off eBay that go for as little as 34 cents a food, I think. I'll be going through a lot more as I've just recently gotten into sous vide cooking.

I have a FoodSaver V3860 and am quite fond of it. Bought it used but new in the box off of Craigslist for $100 from what turned out to be my nearby neighbor. Small world. I really like the marinating canister. I use generic 11" rolls off eBay that go for as little as 34 cents a food, I think. I'll be going through a lot more as I've just recently gotten into sous vide cooking.

I found a new use for the FoodSaver.

I cooked a ton over the weekend and vaccum sealed all we didnt eat. Now we can have good bbq anytime

I've been vacuuming briskets, sausage, ribs for years then freezing them. It's great to open up a bag of brisket in January that you smoked in August and it tastes the same