michelliot

Just an observation

I guess I haven't been floating around here as much as I used to either. Say, for the past 3-4 years. During that time, queries and responses would pass through here almost at an hourly rate. Someone would ask a question. Answers or comments would almost immediately be flying in from all over the country. Certainly there was a core of responders, about a dozen or more strong that communicated on a regular bases with knowledgeable responses regarding equipment, recipes and innovative ideas to make the BBQing experience more enjoyable. Granted, some of them are still expressing themselves on this forum, but I'm surprised at the sheer lack of volume compared to what once was. The turnover into the next generation isn't what I thought it would be. Now that I think of it, the majority of that core were, in fact, of the "baby boomer generation. Maybe we were going through phase, finding a new art form to express our selves through outdoor cooking. I'm sure our grills continue be incorporated as one of the special tools in our homes. We just don't have to communicate about them like we did then.

I'm just hoping that all of those savory steaks, chops, ribs, burgers and other cuts of meat hasn't caught up with us. My gratings have certainly tasted more fish and poultry these days, but I still smile every time I lift the hefty cover, no matter what I lay upon them.

Hope all is well,

elliot

I guess I haven't been floating around here as much as I used to either. Say, for the past 3-4 years. During that time, queries and responses would pass through here almost at an hourly rate. Someone would ask a question. Answers or comments would almost immediately be flying in from all over the country. Certainly there was a core of responders, about a dozen or more strong that communicated on a regular bases with knowledgeable responses regarding equipment, recipes and innovative ideas to make the BBQing experience more enjoyable. Granted, some of them are still expressing themselves on this forum, but I'm surprised at the sheer lack of volume compared to what once was. The turnover into the next generation isn't what I thought it would be. Now that I think of it, the majority of that core were, in fact, of the "baby boomer generation. Maybe we were going through phase, finding a new art form to express our selves through outdoor cooking. I'm sure our grills continue be incorporated as one of the special tools in our homes. We just don't have to communicate about like we did then.

I'm just hoping that all of those savory steaks, chops, ribs, burgers and other cuts of meat hasn't caught up with us. My gratings have certainly tasted more fish and poultry these days, but I still smile every time I lift the hefty cover, no matter what I lay upon them.

Hope all is well,

elliot

Hey Elliot, I totally agree. I'm one of the originals on here and I too have watched the posts diminish over the years. I'm also guilty as charged.... life, kids and everything else have absorbed all my time! I'm happy to report it's ALL been good changes but it has left me with minimal time to post on all things grill related! I'm also happy to report that my JA is still burning strong! I still place my order annually to get a new set of tamers, grates, etc.. and I still receive them at no charge except shipping. This generation of grills was and probably will be the last of the great bargains out there. I will say it has taken a back seat as my wife surprised me with a BGE this past father's day and that is primarily what we use now. Still a place for them both but it's sharing duty for sure. I too hope everyone is well and I'll do my best to stop in more frequently! Cheers, Don

That's what I like to see.

A 1:29 post with a 1:36 response

Only the best to ya Don

LOL just like old times!!

Noticed myself some drop off and yes a boomer :P soon to be retired just counting the days

Not me, I'm of Gen X era doing all I can to retire before I'm 50 so I can start posting on the forums again! lol

Not me, I'm of Gen X era doing all I can to retire before I'm 50 so I can start posting on the forums again! lol

Smarty pants kid :D

3 to 4 weeks left before I drop the "bomb" at work and tell them in 2 weeks bye bye

Elliot,

GUILTY! Yea, I've been around for a bit, not quite as long as dwost, but maybe too many years? Nah - just go through this "burned out" feeling every once in a while. I don't post very often myself much anymore, but I do drop in here quite often and real quick run through the latest posts. I see much of it as redundant (on my part anyway), not to say I'm bored or anything like that. Guess a lot can be said for getting old? ;)

But I do put in a ton of work hours, probably still averaging 80-100 hours per week. Now in the past I still posted frequently while punching in those hours, but I'm finding my interest in putting stuff out there waning, though I still remain avid in reading the posts of others. Not just because I'm a mod - I do still have a genuine interest in all subjects broached here daily. Maybe I feel I've run out of quality content to offer. Whatever, I think aging is catching up.

I still love grilling (though Patty cooks more than I do on our grill the last couple of years). Maybe I'm getting lazy. It's easier to read than to type a response. Yea - let's blame it on Siri! She has contributed a lot towards me not feeling like typing, but she does not have a presence here on the boards. Maybe Dave or Don can incorporate something like that? Hee hee. Truthfully - I do find it so much more convenient to speak my text on my cell than to type it (no young kid here that can thumb out 250 wpm on a tiny cell screen), so I do place a lot of value on Siri. Would that help me post here more often? Maybe. Doubtfully though since I do type about 75 wpm so that's a cop-out.. ;)

Bottom line, thanks to your prompt, I'll try my best to contribute a bit more. No promises (or threat depending on how you value my input)! But it's not just me - as you point out things have really, really slowed down here for all the veterans. And we are coming off the summer season - usually the busiest time for grilling. I do take note that Weber seems to dominate most of the conversations. These forums did seem to stem from those (like myself) that went the Nexgrill (Jenn Air) route and sought out as much info as possible about this new breed of imported grill. Though the Jenn Air name slowly went away through the years, many still use those grills, but there's no disputing that the Weber folks have kind of taking over these forums. And naturally, no dispute here that Weber is pretty much the best solution out there for an affordable, well built and lasting grill on today's market. But, perhaps because there are so many other sites out there revolving around the Weber name - we see no real growth here because of a saturated venue? I don't have the answer - but whatever the reason - posting on these forums have died to less than a dozen posts or so per day (if that), a long cry from back in the day when you would see dozens of posts within minutes of putting up a new topic. In our heyday we saw a membership of well over 3,000, today the numbers here of daily posters can basically be counted on one hand...

Thankfully, I do still see a smattering of interest from some vets (Don - dwost) jumps right to mind at the moment) on occasion, here you are again as well after a seemingly long absence - and others I feel still lurk but just don't jump in as often. Still a lot of followers, just a subdued number of postings. So, we are not dead, but in a slumber season... Maybe the holidays will spark another spurt of growth in the number of postings. Who knows. Meanwhile, it's great to hear from you again, Elliot! Hope all has been well with you and I, for one, will look forward to reading anything you put out there!

For those others that are, like myself, just casually dropping in and reading but not posting - perhaps take a moment or two and drop a few words. If nothing else - just let us know you are still alive! :P

Happy Fall to all! mike

Good luck with that earlier retirement Don

I have a daughter in private college and another one about to enter so I'll be working a bit longer.

Hood, I imagine the moment that one tells work that it's over has got to be a momentous occasion......savor it.

Mikey, thanks for the my literary compliment. I enjoy putting stuff out there occasionally. Hoping your Sandy recovery is pretty much back to normal and dealing with the next couple of days of weather is trivial.

Be well people, speak soon.

elliot

Elliot,

GUILTY! Yea, I've been around for a bit, not quite as long as dwost, but maybe too many years? Nah - just go through this "burned out" feeling every once in a while. I don't post very often myself much anymore, but I do drop in here quite often and real quick run through the latest posts. I see much of it as redundant (on my part anyway), not to say I'm bored or anything like that. Guess a lot can be said for getting old? ;)

But I do put in a ton of work hours, probably still averaging 80-100 hours per week. Now in the past I still posted frequently while punching in those hours, but I'm finding my interest in putting stuff out there waning, though I still remain avid in reading the posts of others. Not just because I'm a mod - I do still have a genuine interest in all subjects broached here daily. Maybe I feel I've run out of quality content to offer. Whatever, I think aging is catching up.

I still love grilling (though Patty cooks more than I do on our grill the last couple of years). Maybe I'm getting lazy. It's easier to read than to type a response. Yea - let's blame it on Siri! She has contributed a lot towards me not feeling like typing, but she does not have a presence here on the boards. Maybe Dave or Don can incorporate something like that? Hee hee. Truthfully - I do find it so much more convenient to speak my text on my cell than to type it (no young kid here that can thumb out 250 wpm on a tiny cell screen), so I do place a lot of value on Siri. Would that help me post here more often? Maybe. Doubtfully though since I do type about 75 wpm so that's a cop-out.. ;)

Bottom line, thanks to your prompt, I'll try my best to contribute a bit more. No promises (or threat depending on how you value my input)! But it's not just me - as you point out things have really, really slowed down here for all the veterans. And we are coming off the summer season - usually the busiest time for grilling. I do take note that Weber seems to dominate most of the conversations. These forums did seem to stem from those (like myself) that went the Nexgrill (Jenn Air) route and sought out as much info as possible about this new breed of imported grill. Though the Jenn Air name slowly went away through the years, many still use those grills, but there's no disputing that the Weber folks have kind of taking over these forums. And naturally, no dispute here that Weber is pretty much the best solution out there for an affordable, well built and lasting grill on today's market. But, perhaps because there are so many other sites out there revolving around the Weber name - we see no real growth here because of a saturated venue? I don't have the answer - but whatever the reason - posting on these forums have died to less than a dozen posts or so per day (if that), a long cry from back in the day when you would see dozens of posts within minutes of putting up a new topic. In our heyday we saw a membership of well over 3,000, today the numbers here of daily posters can basically be counted on one hand...

Thankfully, I do still see a smattering of interest from some vets (Don - dwost) jumps right to mind at the moment) on occasion, here you are again as well after a seemingly long absence - and others I feel still lurk but just don't jump in as often. Still a lot of followers, just a subdued number of postings. So, we are not dead, but in a slumber season... Maybe the holidays will spark another spurt of growth in the number of postings. Who knows. Meanwhile, it's great to hear from you again, Elliot! Hope all has been well with you and I, for one, will look forward to reading anything you put out there!

For those others that are, like myself, just casually dropping in and reading but not posting - perhaps take a moment or two and drop a few words. If nothing else - just let us know you are still alive! :P

Happy Fall to all! mike

While I have not been here as long as others...and that as a rule should mean absolutely nothing, I believe Cuskit has peeled away and exposed a layer of truth. This forum, in no uncertain terms has become a bully pulpit for all things Weber and anyone that even hints that Weber is not their first choice in outdoor cooking and/or does not place The Weber-Stephens Corp. on the alter and worship it is run out of town by the self-proclaimed "regulars". In fact, my aforementioned statement is typically enough to get me heckled, attacked or banned.

There exists a handful here that are the core of the problem...and you guys know who you are.

Think about it and maintain some intellectual honesty as you do: If you were a new member asking what kind of grill to purchase and perhaps you had a limited budget,and the mob mentality answer is always Weber or nothing...how long would you stick around? And worse yet the Weber bullying is absolutely tolerated and dare I say encouraged.

Plenty of folks produce some truly outstanding food on outdoor cooking equipment that is not made by Weber. Kamados for example have become more popular and no gas grill can come close to producing the taste that one can get from even the cheapest steel big box Kamado...the Char-Griller Akorn....which I'm willing to bet some of you reading this own.

No one asked my advice but the OPs statement of wonder and concern is not a mystery or elusive concept, it's obvious and just takes recognizing it and perhaps being a bit more open minded. Give it a shot and prove me wrong.

As for time, I retired early from one career with a great package and am poised to embark on a new one but I enjoy cooking in all forms more and more...and not on a Weber.

First of all, yeah -- I think it's easy for us all to agree that for whatever reasons, participation is down. To some extent, posts (for the three years I know about) have typically centered on new equipment and advice to newbies about cooking on that equipment. So yes, a lot of redundancy. I think a lot of us also are more involved in the cooking, but it's no longer a "new" event, so maybe we don't have as much to contribute. I also wonder if there has been a trend to less buying of new equipment due to the economy, political uncertainty and other reasons -- so fewer new members and posts.

DockHolliday, a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, but for the most part I don't think "Weber bullying" is very common. Most of us recognize as you said that while Weber makes a good product, there are other things. But again, Weber remains in a cost point that only a few other quality makers occupy. And lastly, you are correct, most of us do appear to be Weber owners -- what else would you expect us to talk about? I certainly don't review very many other grills simply because I'm set for 10 or more years. For me a Napoleon is out now (I have a grill) and the Kamsdo is a duplicative luxury that I would certainly like to have, but have more important needs for my (retirement) money. And notice the number of posts in this thread about retiring -- that can drastically affect expenditures on new grilling toys. All in all, it is very true that almost all new members are Weber buyers (perhaps excluding the built-ins).

Back directly on subject, I've wondered if the BBQ Source can survive with minimal active users and basically one person funding while a couple of others share the work. This past year's participation has been dramatically lower than the previous two years. We all have lives as has been said -- some are improving, some not so much. At some point, other demands take away ANY participation and it can be difficult to spend the time posting. I've noticed also that most of the posts this year are not grilling related whether they be other topics or more personal issues. Again, it reflects a dwindling base. Some of you know about my "year of the 13", and while rather less damaging, it hasn't improved a whole lot though I stopped posting about it. Sandy badly hurt Mike and others. I expect others are the similar -- and new members don't make those more personal posts. It all affects participation.

Rich

DockHolliday, a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, but for the most part I don't think "Weber bullying" is very common. Most of us recognize as you said that while Weber makes a good product, there are other things. But again, Weber remains in a cost point that only a few other quality makers occupy. And lastly, you are correct, most of us do appear to be Weber owners -- what else would you expect us to talk about? I certainly don't review very many other grills simply because I'm set for 10 or more years. For me a Napoleon is out now (I have a grill) and the Kamsdo is a duplicative luxury that I would certainly like to have, but have more important needs for my (retirement) money. And notice the number of posts in this thread about retiring -- that can drastically affect expenditures on new grilling toys. All in all, it is very true that almost all new members are Weber buyers (perhaps excluding the built-ins).

Rich

Believe what you will. Have you ever reflected and asked yourself if you are part of the problem?

There is a n obvious Weber or nothing slant to the forum. In any other forum, if a post re: Weber grills came up, the mods would put in the dedicated Weber forum. Not here. Weber specific issues are most of the limited content. Someone posts a review or asks about another brand they won't even get a response.

It is what it is but denying it won't fix it.

Doc,

For honest recommendations people can only and should only recommend what they've experienced first hand. If there happens to be a Weber grill in their back yard, then that's what they're going to suggest or say to stay away from. Doubt it very much that a falling posting rate is blamed on Weber prejudices. Six posters here so far and five of them own grills besides a Weber. I'm the only one exclusively using a Weber for BBQing and that's basically for financial reasons. Me thinks your evaluation of the situation rests on false accusations. If you want to discuss this further, first do some research on the two general discussion forums vs. the Weber forums and see where the biased opinions are. If they're on the Weber sight, don't you think that makes sense.

Ya know, I started this discussion just to see how people were doing and hopefully all were fine. I have to agree with "Oddball's philosophy" in the Kelly's Heros (thanks Vanole) as to why your contributions might be depressing the volume of posts around here as well.

Enjoy your weekend,

elliot

C'mon man,

Negative waves don't solve anything.

People should only recommend what they have experience with. Otherwise it's all speculation. Agree?

I think "Weber bullying" is really "Weber enthusiasm."

Be happy for the ones who really enjoy using their grills.

I've said earlier, after years of BBQing, I still smile every time use my grill. I felt that way of my 30 year old Charmglow also. Well, maybe not to the same degree.

The last thing I wanted to do is create grounds for an argumentative thread.

Be well Doc.....Speak soon,

elliot

It's too bad when enthusiasm is portrayed as "bullying" by a disinterested party. There is an old saying that when someone points a finger at someone else the remainder are pointing right back.

Many times things that are expressed are expressed from experience. Case in point I had been in a situation of owning a Sunbeam gasser, a Thermos unit also PRIOR to buying a Genesis 21+ years ago. Both while quite costly did not perform ANYWHERE like the Genesis. And when I had some "issues" with that same Genesis rather than call Weber support for advice as I should have I fell for the shiny stainless stuff. Which while still looking beautiful on my deck had it's insides rot to powder inside of 18 months. Next door neighbor fell for the same thing and had same thing happen. Me? I decided to call Weber. Talked to a well informed support person who talked me through a VERY simple procedure and voila' performing like new again. (BTW nothing was needed to be replaced).

Thankfully (unlike my first two forays in to gas grilldom) I was able to get a refund on the shiny one. So if someone like myself passes that EXPERIENCE (not speculation) along why is that bullying? I have seen quite a few others like myself pass that experience along and be pointed out as "bullies". Yet the accuser relies on Weber also, hmmmmmm.

BTW that 21+ YO Genesis is now residing at brother's house who absolutely looooooooves it and cannot believe he wasted his money on others prior to me giving him that one. Too bad I am such a "bully" to my poor brother poor guy :D

I am also nothing but honest and shortly I will post some photos of my Summit showing a "weak spot" where I feel Weber could have and should have done things better. One might also notice (horror of horrors) a Ducane (old real Ducane) and a Wolf in my profile.

Yep I got deals on them but so what?

Best to all!

Hey Elliot. like Mike I have been busy, I have to take your side on the weber enthusiasm over bullying, I'm not so sure people are being scared off, by the recommendation of a weber when there are asking for input especially like Rich mentioned in the price point they are after, I don't see the weber or nothing comments mentioned, we do have to consider the question presented though, and the wisdom of the recommendation, some newbies come on and say " I bought the joe blow special at wally world last year for 300 bucks and its ready for the junk yard, what should I get now".

Well I guess to make an unbiased comment by those of us that have thrown grills in the trash, and wouldn't want to be perceived as "pushing weber" would have to just decline to comment, and as you know I don't have a weber, but I did and its still going after 20 years.

I agree with Doc on "If you were a new member asking what kind of grill to purchase and perhaps you had a limited budget,and the mob mentality answer is always Weber or nothing.

The mob mentality is just stating in 2013 if you have a small limited budget, like Rich said and I'll expand there are very few gas grills worth the powder to blow them to hell in that lower price range, all of this new stuff on the market we cant really comment on because its hasn't been out long enough, I stopped counting the reviews where the purchaser brings a grill home and says its the best thing since sliced bread and the next comment is my same grill is two years old and its ready for the trash.

We have had posters say I have 500 bucks for a grill and I don't care if it lasts a year or two, I'd be the first one to say go to home depo and and just grab whatever looks good to you.

And if someone is looking to purchase a gas grill, my last recommendation would be get an Akorn, because last I checked Akorns (nice unit) is not a gas grill, and have yet to hear someone ask "I am looking for a nice insulated keg unit my choices are Kamodo, BGG and Akorn which should a get" and someone reply get a weber genesis.

So let me present two questions to you all and see if I can get a un weber biased answer ;)

(1) I have under a grand budget, I want a gas grill that will last at least ten years, I want a decent warranty, and please gentlemen recommend a product you have first hand knowledge of.

(2) I have a budget of 400.00 max I cant go a cent over, I need a gas grill that will last this winter only as I am building an Island, and have won a 15,000 dollar Kalamazo in a raffle as my built in.

Appreciate the feed back.

jim

It's too bad when enthusiasm is portrayed as "bullying" by a disinterested party. There is an old saying that when someone points a finger at someone else the remainder are pointing right back.

Many times things that are expressed are expressed from experience. Case in point I had been in a situation of owning a Sunbeam gasser, a Thermos unit also PRIOR to buying a Genesis 21+ years ago. Both while quite costly did not perform ANYWHERE like the Genesis. And when I had some "issues" with that same Genesis rather than call Weber support for advice as I should have I fell for the shiny stainless stuff. Which while still looking beautiful on my deck had it's insides rot to powder inside of 18 months. Next door neighbor fell for the same thing and had same thing happen. Me? I decided to call Weber. Talked to a well informed support person who talked me through a VERY simple procedure and voila' performing like new again. (BTW nothing was needed to be replaced).

Thankfully (unlike my first two forays in to gas grilldom) I was able to get a refund on the shiny one. So if someone like myself passes that EXPERIENCE (not speculation) along why is that bullying? I have seen quite a few others like myself pass that experience along and be pointed out as "bullies". Yet the accuser relies on Weber also, hmmmmmm.

BTW that 21+ YO Genesis is now residing at brother's house who absolutely looooooooves it and cannot believe he wasted his money on others prior to me giving him that one. Too bad I am such a "bully" to my poor brother poor guy :D

I am also nothing but honest and shortly I will post some photos of my Summit showing a "weak spot" where I feel Weber could have and should have done things better. One might also notice (horror of horrors) a Ducane (old real Ducane) and a Wolf in my profile.

Yep I got deals on them but so what?

Best to all!

Thats a really good point Hood, I will recommend weber all day long because of my experience with them, back when I bought my Ducane I was comparing it to the summit 670 side by side (same price) and found the Duke to be the better choice for my needs and also pointed out some draw backs I saw in the 670 here in my posts, I have heard you rave about your Ducane and now your Wolfe, but also call out weber on some issues.

I think it comes back around to Rich's mention of price point these days.

jim

You guys don't get it and its evident to me yo never will. The last 3-4 posts demonstrate that . Weber, Weber, Weber.

Oh well. I rest my case and give up with all of you...the usual suspects.