Sign in to follow this  
FrankM

What Makes A Regulator Go Bad?

The other night I went out to use my Kirkland Signature series grill and immediately noted something was not right. Basically I was barely getting enough gas flow to light the burners. Since it was dark and cold I left it to Saturday so I could see what I was doing. My first thought was spiders, but that didn't seem right as every burner was affected. I had a spare regulator that I had received from Nexgrill and decided to give it a try. Made the change and voila, back in business. I did notice that the replacement had a slightly larger exit orifice than the original and wondered if that may be covering up a still present problem. OTOH, the grill fired right up and seemed up to temp okay, so I guess it's okay now. I guess what threw me is that I've never ever had to replace a regulator before. Is this just a freak thing and it was my turn?

Frank - it appears you inadvertently posted this topic twice. I took the liberty of deleting the duplicate. :)

As to your subject - yes, regulators do go bad. Not sure if that was your problem though. I use NG so no regulator required on my Signature grill. I'm sure others will chime in here with their thoughts. mike

You failed to mention if you were using a bulk tank or one of the 20 pound tanks.

The issue you described happens once a 20 pound tank gets old or the safety trips on the tank.

Every once in a great while a regulator will go bad. It was probally something in the tank thou

Cuskit, Sorry about the double post.

Ronald, I have another 20LB tank which is full and even though it occurred to me, I didn't swap them since the one in there now still has a lot of LP in it. Because of that I also discounted the notion that it might be related to the cold temps. If the tank or the valve on it were to be faulty what do you do in that case? What happens to the LP? Can they be serviced and/or repaired?

What happens to the tanks is that there is a Safety built into the knob/valve.

If the knob/valve is cranked to fast or to high then the safety trips.

Spiders and insects also crawl in the the knob/valve on propane tanks

You also run into the problem if the propane tank was not properly purged before it was refilled.

It is a lot cheaper to have a tank refilled than exchanged

Usually the knob/valve on the tank goes bad long before the regulator

To get rid of a bad tank , just exchange it

If it is a custom tank then just buy a new fitting for it

If the grill is now working just keep your original regulator

I use propane for three grills, two generators and the motor for my boat.

I have yet to have a bad regulator , I have gone through a few knob/valves

Also depending on the temp outside LP does not off gas as much when it gets around freezing. When I was using the 20lb tanks I couldn't use my sear burner on my grill because it wouldnt get enough gas. My dad had the same issue with a furnace for a back shop. He had to have 3 100lb tanks just to keep enough flow when it was cold outside. I switched to NG so I no longer have the issue. You could try a bigger tank or a tank heater. I've heard of people using NO2 tank heaters.

Also depending on the temp outside LP does not off gas as much when it get around freezing. When I was using the 20lb tanks I couldn't use my sear burner on my grill because it would get enough gas. My dad had the same issue with a furnace for a back shop. He had to have 3 100lb tanks just to keep enough flow when it was cold outside. I switched to NG so I no longer have the issue. You could try a bigger tank or a tank heater. I've heard of people using NO2 tank heaters.

I couldnt agree more

The larger the tank. The better the flow

Frank, the problem is not the tank or the regulator, its the black knob that connects the two together. Just get a small drill bit and enlarge the hole that is brass. You can disconnect the hose from the BBQ and listen to the gas flow, it should have a soft sound. Once the hole is drilled you will notice a stronger gas flow. Any problem drilling a hole, coz some do have a s/s ball bearing, I would get a new QCC1 or black knob.

Frank - it appears you inadvertently posted this topic twice. I took the liberty of deleting the duplicate. :)

As to your subject - yes, regulators do go bad. Not sure if that was your problem though. I use NG so no regulator required on my Signature grill. I'm sure others will chime in here with their thoughts. mike

Just reading this. Dusk it, how can you say using NG doesn't require a regulator. I just switched from LP to NG and would not have past the code inspection had I not had a regulator and shutoff outside for my grill hookup.