Sign in to follow this  
Dchambers25

Impending bbq island build

1399322749[/url]' post='93467']

dchambers! That turned out great! Great work.

I'm gonna have a a few questions for ya when I start my build.

Thanx! And ask away. I owe this forum and everyone here a debt of gratitude for the info posted here, so I would be happy to pay it forward.

Good luck and post pics!David

Hi -

Newbie to forum and preparing to build mine (1st one). Yours turned out great!! You gave me an idea to extend my raised bar from 12 to 18 inches. How do you support the bar counter ? ... is there a way when you make the overhang and then cover or are the supports put on after cover??

Thanks!

Very nice counter tops. What sized glass chips / aggregate did you use in the top? I'm making counter tops as well, and trying to decide on either size #1 or size #2 glass chips. Thinking I'd like the #1 for a denser look.

Got started grinding today

421983cfa8012734a163e696bfc4c13b.jpg

2f337f2379157efa909e4a38ff6863fc.jpg

The process isn't that hard, just a little time consuming. I got in about 6 hours of grinding. Started with the 50 pad then went to the 100, then put on a slurry coat. I am not sure if I will be able to get any more grinding in this weekend. The only part I wish I would have done differently is made the concrete mix more soupy from the start. The bar area has some big voids in it next to where the forms were. Nothing a little slurry couldn't fix, but it just would have saved some time

Hi -

Newbie to forum and preparing to build mine (1st one). Yours turned out great!! You gave me an idea to extend my raised bar from 12 to 18 inches. How do you support the bar counter ? ... is there a way when you make the overhang and then cover or are the supports put on after cover??

Thanks!

Thanks! We are really enjoying the bbq. We have a lot of wet areas where we live so mosquitos have been a nuisance in the past, but my wife found a very cool way to make tiki torches out of old wine bottles on the internet.

I used Simpson L brackets to do the overhang. Bigdawg used the method and documented it well. I couldn't find his post on this site, but here it is on another site http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/10041-Bayside-Build

Very nice counter tops. What sized glass chips / aggregate did you use in the top? I'm making counter tops as well, and trying to decide on either size #1 or size #2 glass chips. Thinking I'd like the #1 for a denser look.

Thanx. We love the countertops too. I did not purchase any glass. I just crushed up old beer bottles and seeded them in. The process produced varying sizes of glass chips. Upon grinding down the concrete, the mixture of aggregate and glass shown through. I have about 70 sq ft of countertops and I think I crushed up about 40 bottles. The green chips are Heinekin and the brown and Samuel Adams, with a 2/3 to 1/3 mixture

Post pics!

David

Thanx Roy and dRwOOd.

Roy I used led light strips. Time consuming to solder and heat shrink, but they are waterproof and look great, and only cost around $50 for the wiring, controller, transformer and all the lights. Lot of bang for your buck.

This is the tiki torch my wife found to make. We have one mounted on each post, and about four more on standby. They only cost a few bucks to make.

63e783b0c1e610ed029ef9b7a572dedd.jpg

9c08254fbc10c1104c5a7266686d3b35.jpg

Thanks! We are really enjoying the bbq. We have a lot of wet areas where we live so mosquitos have been a nuisance in the past, but my wife found a very cool way to make tiki torches out of old wine bottles on the internet.

I used Simpson L brackets to do the overhang. Bigdawg used the method and documented it well. I couldn't find his post on this site, but here it is on another site http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/10041-Bayside-Build

Dchambers,

I am at that stage in my build where I am looking for lights. I have a back splash like you do so your lights setup appeals to me.

Do you have the name or model # of the lights you used? They looks like LED strip lights which is perfect. But the light output and angel looks great

based on your pictures. Also, the small sections of lights used on the walls, are those just cut strips of the same LED lights? Or something diff?

Your help is much appreciated.

Robert

1415292997[/url]' post='93969']

Dchambers,

I am at that stage in my build where I am looking for lights. I have a back splash like you do so your lights setup appeals to me.

Do you have the name or model # of the lights you used? They looks like LED strip lights which is perfect. But the light output and angel looks great

based on your pictures. Also, the small sections of lights used on the walls, are those just cut strips of the same LED lights? Or something diff?

Your help is much appreciated.

Robert

Hey Robert. Sorry for the delay.

Here is a link o another write up of my build where I detail where I got the lights. I think it's one of the last entries. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/69577-New-build-Advice

All of the lights are made from one 16' roll of LEDs.

David