cuskit

The Next Norm Abram

Work has been coming to a screeching halt. Well, has been slowing down for months now - but I had enough load to carry for 3-4 months, but no new work came in. Life is always sweet, heh? So, with the extra time on hand I've been playing around with some new videos. No, I'm not really the next Norm Abram - but I still have fun doing this! My latest woodshop video is here:

A recent three part series starts with this one:

Check them out and please feel free to ridicule me as much as possible - I love being critiqued.. ;)

I've had some fun learning to make these videos, but I'm a long ways off before I put Steven Speilberg out of business though! If any are interested in seeing a few boring videos - see my YouTube Channel here: Cuskit

I'm wondering if any others here post YouTube videos and can offer any advice, either in the taping, editing, posting, promoting or whatever. I'm all ears!

mike

Hey Mikey,

Did know I was in the presence of a celebrity. An informative relaxed presentation. Well done. The only reason PBS hasn't hired you yet for national TV might be the accent. We New Yorkers find it refreshing, others, well screw 'em.

Again, you handled the simple job and the video presentation most professionally. Better than most I've seen on utube.

It's also fun to be able to visualize your personality and physical appearance now when I read your literary additions to the pages of these forums. Speak soon.

Be well,

elliot

Thanks for the compliments, Elliot! I think all members should post a short video so that we can see and appreciate exactly who we are typing back and forth to here.. B)

I'm a big WFAN follower (local NY Sports Radio Station). I listened for years to one of my favorite sports dj's (Joe Benigno) and had an idea in my head what he looked like based only on the sound of his voice. I finally did get to see exactly what he looked like after a couple of years (saw him on tv) and he was not even close to what I had envisioned him to look like. So yea - it's nice to have a video (better than just a photograph) to get to know somebody! :)

mike

add me to the list of admirers. I've used youtube videos for education on a number of topics and your presentation was great. really like the double garbage container trick for cutting holes!

for your hand held shots you could use this http://littlegreatideas.com/stabilizer/diy/ Not your preferred source material but the tool is great (Sure you could figure out a shaped walnut version with hand grips etc ) I made one of these and they make hand helds night and day more stable. the other option is to just fold the legs of your tripod pick up the whole set up and hold it about 1/2 a foot down from the camera (add weight to the bottom with a camera bag if it's a light tripod)

good cutting as well with the transitions to take away the unneeded time but get the necessary details in there for the viewer.

EDIT,

so yeah, now looking online and there some more complicated but inherently better designs out there. (though requiring more time, $, and design)

Edited by Grilla

I think you do a really good Job Mike, I Watched a few of your videos and loved them all, nice use of panning from segment to segment and a great selection of music for sure. Very interesting watching the molding planer, I looked that up and ended up watching a couple of videos from Woodmaster on the making of the knives for those, nice water jet they have, a customer of mine owns a company called Atlanta Die and has a serious water jet as well, he cuts the platens I use on my printer with it.

Still would like to see if you could make wooden trophy discs for me, and round wood mini markers would be very popular in disc golf, watching you cut the circles in the belt sander roll holder made me think of that again.

Thanks for sharing...

Dave

Grilla, thanks for the compliments! I'm really just a rank amateur and I appreciate more than you realize your advice on the hand held device. I've not gotten that far into it, but see now (thanks to your prompt and video links) how much difference that can make. I'm on it for sure and will in the next few weeks be making my own based on your advice. The other thing I know I really have to work on is lighting. My shop lighting is horrible at the moment, but I will be improving that with dozens of different type fixtures I've purchased but not yet had time to install. I spend dozens of hours video taping, editing, back and forth, think I've done a great job and upload it. Then, after watching my videos and comparing to many others I see on YouTube, I smack myself and say "damn! I shoulda done this and I shoulda done that"! But, I'm learning as I'm going! Again, two hands, mountains to move and countless dreams to fulfill. Meanwhile still trying to make a buck in between it all! :)

Dave - thanks also! You just know how much I respect nice words from you! As to making the trophy discs and mini markers, I have apologize for the bad memory here - I forget where we left this subject last time we spoke. If I recall, I was going to purchase one and see what it took to duplicate one. Not sure. But yes - I'd for sure like to get back to that and get moving on something with it! If for nothing other than the challenge, and more so another video production! ;)

You have to advise me more on the mini markers. Again - sorry for forgetting about this stuff, probably going through the last year of Dad going downhill and then passing on, it just dusted out of my mind. But I'll make up for it! I have a machine I purchased used a year or so ago that I believe would be perfect for making your discs. It's kind of a "manual" CNC machine. It's actually called an Onsrud Inverted Router by a company that makes some of the better CNC machines out there. It's made for exactly duplicating shaped objects made of wood (or plastics). Although a CNC is faster, setup time to program them takes a lot of time, and these old inverted routers can rival or beat them for smaller production runs. I think it may be just the ticket for small runs of discs. I'm currently working with a client to make a run of a couple thousand small "craft" type wooden discs, triangles and ovals that he hand paints and sells through select NYC stores. This inverted router was just made to do this stuff, just a matter of properly setting up the initial templates for each object. Same thing as your discs - though his is a bit easier as they are a consistent 3/4" thick throughout. Your discs need to be tapered, but that's (in the words of Sean Connery) "doable". Perhaps a combination of the router and my lathe. Not sure, but willing to give it a go! Let's see what we can do, alright?

mike

Sounds good Mike, look for a friend request from me on FB and we'll coordinate from there. I'll order them and have them shipped to you...

Sounds good Dave! mike :)