Sign in to follow this  
Chris B

Broil King Regal 490 Pro

So, I promised more detail a while back. Real life just got in the way..... So here goes:

The Broil King Regal 490 Pro has 695 sq. in of cooking space (500 sq. in for the grates). I can cook most meals on two burners if it is just us or if we have a crowd, it is big enough to cope. So, it is right sized for my family.

Spec-wise, it is a four burner grill with a side burner and a rear rotisserie burner. 304 standard stainless steel (mostly) and aluminum construction. The grates are especially heavy gauge stainless steel rod type. Passed the magnet test. The ss burners have a 10 year warranty. The hood has a heavy solid feel. All in all top grade. The only compromise to quality is may be in the cabinet. Some flex on an uneven surface. At this price point there has to be some compromises and this seems to be it. No big deal, though. I leveled it off and it is all good. Very impressed.

As I mentioned previously, this is one hot grill. There was a serious learning curve as my old Weber never got nearly as hot. The other observation is heat retention. Oven holds heat like crazy. Even on full high, where it can reach 700+ degrees, you can barely perceive any heat at all when standing next to the grill. So, how do you learn to deal with such heat? Turn it down, of course! My old settings that I used for my Weber no longer apply. LOL!

That said, everything we have cooked has come out fantastic. The heat is very even. No hot/cold spots. The whole grilling surface is usable.

We have cooked the usual array of steak, chicken, pork, hot dogs, burgers, fish, etc. We have also used the rotisserie several times for chicken and pork. We also did a leg of lamb on the spit that came out terrific.

Cleanup is easy. Although, I am probably too lazy to keep it shiny forever!

Now, I was going to avoid the BK vs. Weber thing...... So, I will say that in the sub $1000 market, there were only really two serious players. BK and Weber. Slight quality edge to BK at this point (talking current models, not necessarily past Weber glory years). BK is made in either the US or Canada. No made in China or Mexico stuff. Won't go wrong either way. But for my money the BK was a much better deal. I'll check-in in a few years to see if I was right.

post-10259-0-83731100-1402430297_thumb.jpg

post-10259-0-69476000-1402430304_thumb.jpg

post-10259-0-92395200-1402430312_thumb.jpg

So, I promised more detail a while back. Real life just got in the way..... So here goes:

The Broil King Regal 490 Pro has 695 sq. in of cooking space (500 sq. in for the grates). I can cook most meals on two burners if it is just us or if we have a crowd, it is big enough to cope. So, it is right sized for my family.

Spec-wise, it is a four burner grill with a side burner and a rear rotisserie burner. 304 standard stainless steel (mostly) and aluminum construction. The grates are especially heavy gauge stainless steel rod type. Passed the magnet test. The ss burners have a 10 year warranty. The hood has a heavy solid feel. All in all top grade. The only compromise to quality is may be in the cabinet. Some flex on an uneven surface. At this price point there has to be some compromises and this seems to be it. No big deal, though. I leveled it off and it is all good. Very impressed.

As I mentioned previously, this is one hot grill. There was a serious learning curve as my old Weber never got nearly as hot. The other observation is heat retention. Oven holds heat like crazy. Even on full high, where it can reach 700+ degrees, you can barely perceive any heat at all when standing next to the grill. So, how do you learn to deal with such heat? Turn it down, of course! My old settings that I used for my Weber no longer apply. LOL!

That said, everything we have cooked has come out fantastic. The heat is very even. No hot/cold spots. The whole grilling surface is usable.

We have cooked the usual array of steak, chicken, pork, hot dogs, burgers, fish, etc. We have also used the rotisserie several times for chicken and pork. We also did a leg of lamb on the spit that came out terrific.

Now, I was going to avoid the BK vs. Weber thing...... So, I will say that in the sub $1000 market, there were only really two serious players. BK and Weber. Slight quality edge to BK at this point (talking current models, not necessarily past Weber glory years). BK is made in either the US or Canada. No made in China or Mexico stuff. Won't go wrong either way. But for my money the BK was a much better deal. I'll check-in in a few years to see if I was right.

I liked your review. I have the BK Sovereign 90 and love it. I don't worry to much about a shiny grill. I want a clean inside for food, only. A good choice.

Had a great pinnacle outdoors for 10 years - on it's last legs

Just ordered Broil King Regal 490 Pro at Lowes

Do you still like yours after 3-4 months ?

Is it really 304 stainless where it matters ( grates and burners etc ) - should be if it passed the magnet test

Called company they said they are using 430 steel now :(

Thanks

Grillnc

Still like it. Great grill. Mine passed the magnet test... So, I assumed 304. Who knows? The burners have a ten year warranty, though. So, I am not worried.

Third year follow up. Still going strong. No rust, same high heat. Just needs a bit of cleaning... LOL!

Chris,

Thats good to hear. With a good clean, routine maintenace and after grilling letting the grill cool with lid open that grill will last you a long time. Its a nice unit.

Hi!

New to BBQ gas griller. Just like to know if something is wrong with my griller. I noticed the flame on the burner pipe is not equally same throughout. Front and back of the burner have slightly high flame than the middle. Please see attached photo.

Thanks

20170805_200357.jpg

Hi Alloy, Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums.

I don't see a problem there at all. Lots of burners have different sized holes at the beginning and end to add a bit of extra heat to even temps at the front and back.

Dave