Beef'n'Bacon

Newbie Looking for a Grill!!!

Hello all! Stumbled on these forums as I was trying to figure out if the Lowes brand Master Forge was any good, and decided to join up and ask some more questions! As the title states I'm looking for a grill! I'm not opposed to spending some money and after looking around on here decided that a Weber was probably my best bet in terms of getting a product that will last and I'll be happy with and not looking to replace in a couple years. I'm looking at the Spirit E-320 and the Genesis E-310. The Genesis is a pretty significant jump price wise over the Spirit, and aside from an increase in power and size from the Spirit to the Genesis, is there any thing construction wise or anything that would skew my decision one way or another? I'll have to take a look at them in person to see if the Spirit is too small or not, but if there's no difference other than size, the $150 price tag might prove to be too much.

Look forward to being a contributing memeber, and of course posting pictures of my beef and bacon creations ;)

I would not waste hard earned $$$ on the MF. I think Lowes also carries the Broil King product. You might want to check those out if Weber is a little too spendy for you. Bunch of members on here have them and are happy. Not sure what your total budget is either

So update, I went to lowes last night and looked around at grills. I looked at the genesis and spirit, and while they're really good quality, some of the other options were just more 'bang for the buck' than the Weber. I ended up going with this Char-Broil. I looked at some reviews of the Char-Broil brand and the biggest issue was that their 'TRU-Infrared' isn't true infrared, it's a low power infrared and so it's a bit of a gimmick. That being said the BTU's of the grill are higher than the Spirit, and a smidge less than the Genesis, and for close to half the price. Combine that with the side burner, it was too good of a deal to pass up on. The other issue is the quality, which is obviously a concern, but I'm not all that worried about it, I don't grill that often, maybe once or twice a week, and keep good care of my things, so I don't think it will deteriorate as fast as some people have said. And if it really gums up then I can return it and get something a bit higher quality.

Good luck. Every CB that I have ever seen has been a rusted mess in less than two years. The Webers or Broil Kings OTOH have been proven to last 10+ years without issues, longer if you maintain them well.

Good luck. Every CB that I have ever seen has been a rusted mess in less than two years. The Webers or Broil Kings OTOH have been proven to last 10+ years without issues, longer if you maintain them well.

Yeah we'll see.. Hopefully it'll get me a couple years, at that point I'll be able to get something a bit nicer. This was kind of a sudden purchase, as my girlfriends sister works at Lowes and gets 20% off, and we're starting to get our backyard set up so we wanted a grill (just moved into a new house) and the feature list was too good to pass up right now. But that being said if the quality is really bad after a break in weekend then I may look into returning it and picking up a Spirit or Broil King.

B&B you're WAY beter off buying a used "quality" product than a cheapie new product. Many of us here with various brands can attest to that. I stupidly bought one of the shiny Chinese products (Sam's Members Mark) made by Grand Hall. Looked absolutely great. Withing 18 months it was a pile of unusable rust with a nice shiny outside. It looked great on my deck though but I could not cook anything on. Neighbor had same experience with Charbroil inside of a year flames were coming out of everywhere but where they should as the entire thing rusted through. Really I would look at something else even used.

B&B you're WAY beter off buying a used "quality" product than a cheapie new product. Many of us here with various brands can attest to that. I stupidly bought one of the shiny Chinese products (Sam's Members Mark) made by Grand Hall. Looked absolutely great. Withing 18 months it was a pile of unusable rust with a nice shiny outside. It looked great on my deck though but I could not cook anything on. Neighbor had same experience with Charbroil inside of a year flames were coming out of everywhere but where they should as the entire thing rusted through. Really I would look at something else even used.

The way I look at used products is if I have the knowledge of how it works, how it ages, and how it breaks, and how to fix it, then I'm comfortable buying the used product because I know what I'm getting myself into. I don't fully trust people selling used products, either because they're sleazy or they just don't know what's going on with it, and as a result I'd like to have a good base level of knowledge before buying a used product. that being said, I don't have knowledge about grills. I know there's an igniter, and burners. I don't know how to look at the lines and make sure that they're taken care of, make sure the burners aren't on their last legs from being sitting in the grease sea, stuff like that, so I'm much more comfortable buying a new product. Also I wanted to pick something up before memorial day weekend, so that narrows out a used grill. I know the phrase, 'don't be hasty' will come into play here, but I'm a bit of a young gun so I'm not quite ready to be patient.

And like I said I'm gonna try it out this weekend and see how it cooks, I was lured in by the vast amount of features and size, and if it doesn't work very well then I'll return it and look to pick up a Spirit or look at some Broil King grills.

First run of it, I like it. The four burners are pretty solid, they did a good job of evenly cooking the meat and didn't get one zone hotter than another, the zones were heated as well as you would think and stuff cooked nicely. Ill have to keep an eye on the materials and see how they hold up, but in terms of how it performs I'm happy with it.

Good luck. Any grill will do a decent to nice job when new. It will be 6 months, 12, and so on when it's horns will come out and you'll wonder why you fell for all the bells and whistles that just don't get it done any more.

First run of it, I like it. The four burners are pretty solid, they did a good job of evenly cooking the meat and didn't get one zone hotter than another, the zones were heated as well as you would think and stuff cooked nicely. Ill have to keep an eye on the materials and see how they hold up, but in terms of how it performs I'm happy with it.

That grill looks like the updated Quantum that I got in 2010. The firebox failed and was replaced by CB within 8 months and the stainless steel grates/emitters failed at 9 months and were also replaced by CB. All three of the thermometers broke after a year. Overall, the grill cooks well, but is not well built. Charbroil has changed the "infrared" grate system with cast iron grates, but my bet is that the stainless steel emitters will rust very quickly. Good luck with your new grill and please register it with CB and keep your receipt.

Yeah the construction is something that I'm a bit worried about, but the features!!! I dunno, we'll see, and you'll be the first to know when the grill goes bust in a couple years. I did get the 3 year warranty through Lowe's so hopefully that'll make it hold up a bit longer.

Some pics!!!

BaDhXao.jpg

The grill in all it's shiny-ness.

3S7ZC07.jpg

Hot dogs and ribs, and rolls for caramelized onions and garlic.

UAoBQhI.jpg

Bread toasted on the 'toaster' racks, pretty amazed that there are lines.

HN6mWD3.jpg

Dinner is served!!

Hopefully they'll honor that warranty. I was in Lowes one day and the people were in the same boat. Charbroil grill under store warranty trying to get repairs and the store would not help them. Features don't make a good product. Quality construction and solid simple design go much further. It's why I just picked up my second Broilmaster today could not pass it up. SS base, second level SS foldable retracting grate $65 a guy can't go wrong :)

Just got the Wolf out of hibernation. Knocked off a couple cheap porterhouse steaks on it not too bad for a $150 grill :D

post-8321-0-84153800-1400962010_thumb.jpg

post-8321-0-91573800-1400962011_thumb.jpg

Mmmmmm looks good! If it heats it'll cook it! I'm gonna do up some Cornish game hens that I'll do on the grill with copious amounts of a custom berr BBQ sauce. And some hot dogs of course and perhaps some veggies if there are any to be had!

Late comment, but maybe some one will see.

I agree with all the advice about getting a quality grill. If both are used a lot, a Genesis will last longer than three Charbroils. Use that cost to figure the value.

Now about cooking. My Weber gets hot, cooks evenly, and I can create multiple zones for the right result and to be able to cook several different items at the same time. I am traveling, and as a result my Genesis is at home and I must use the Charbroil in this condo. It is a lower model than OPs. While it will cook and I've had some success, it just doesn't get really hot and seems to have basically two modes -- as hot as it can get or almost off. I don't know the age, but not new, the insides are still in decent shape, and it had never been cleaned. ( Three internal fires in three attempts -- since I scraped off the inside, no issues.) Construction is poor and there is no drip tray. The owners complain about dripping grease, but I haven't had that problem.

So enjoy the Charbroil -- for at least some time it should cook for you. Next time consider the economics, invest in a better grill ( the Genesis is priced higher than the Spirit for many very good reasons) and learn how much more enjoyable grilling with a quality grill can be. (My son-in-law had a Charbroil professional for seveAL years. He would NOT believe my comment about my Genesis, until my daughter and I bought a 330 for him. He thanks me constantly.)

Rich

So after two weeks I'd had it with the Char-Broil. Couldn't stand having to thoroughly clean it every time I used it, and I mean thoroughly... The 'infra-red' holes got all gummed up every time and I had to get in there with a fine toothed brush to unplug all the holes. Also in learning that I can't use stainless steel brushes on it, because it would kill it, I decided that enough was enough. I returned it and bought a spirit e320, due to budget constraints, which I've used and much happier with it!

I kinda figured you'd get to that point (though not that soon). That Charbroil IR (fake) is such a joke. Using their theory of Infrared technology every grill with metal plates over the burners are infrared. There are very few TRUE IR grills on market and are mostly very high end. When you use one there is no doubt it's what you're cooking on as they're wicked hot and fast and actually a little scary IMO. Frankly I am not a fan of them as they're too singular in purpose. If I want something that hot I'll throw some hardwood lump in a kettle and it will be hotter than any $5000 IR grill I have ever seen or used.

Anyway congrats on the better purchase. I looked at those the other day at HD and seemed like a nice grill for the $$$. Others in the forums here are raving about the Broil King products and if you read anything I write you'll know I have become a HUGE fan of Broilmaster being absolutely amazed at how thoroughly it seems to trump my Webers and Wolf even though neither are nothing short of truly excellent grills it's just that much better performing. Kinda small though (a little smaller than the Genesis).

Either way you finally have something that will last and perform well

I kinda figured you'd get to that point (though not that soon). That Charbroil IR (fake) is such a joke. Using their theory of Infrared technology every grill with metal plates over the burners are infrared. There are very few TRUE IR grills on market and are mostly very high end. When you use one there is no doubt it's what you're cooking on as they're wicked hot and fast and actually a little scary IMO. Frankly I am not a fan of them as they're too singular in purpose. If I want something that hot I'll throw some hardwood lump in a kettle and it will be hotter than any $5000 IR grill I have ever seen or used.

Anyway congrats on the better purchase. I looked at those the other day at HD and seemed like a nice grill for the $$$. Others in the forums here are raving about the Broil King products and if you read anything I write you'll know I have become a HUGE fan of Broilmaster being absolutely amazed at how thoroughly it seems to trump my Webers and Wolf even though neither are nothing short of truly excellent grills it's just that much better performing. Kinda small though (a little smaller than the Genesis).

Either way you finally have something that will last and perform well

Well Lowe's has a 30 day return policy and I kept thinking to myself about everything that I'd experience in the short life span, and everything that people said here, and figured I'd be happier in the long run, especially since I wasn't in love with the grill. And my dad was free with the truck so I figured why not get it done. I'm much happier with the Weber, and even got 2 compliments on the way out of Lowes on it, one by the check out woman, and another from a guy in the parking lot, so I'm sure I made the right choice! Can't wait to get to some real grillin'

Had a father's day bbq for my family and my gf's family, 8 of us in total and things went off without a hitch. burgers went 5 on each side and were flawless. I've never seen such good grill marks in my life!! Can't be happier with the Weber, and it handled 8 pieces of corn, 8 burgers, and 6 hot dogs, + buns without a hitch. Thanks for all the words of advice, and even though I strayed from the path of quality I righted my wrongs and got back on the right track!!!