Sign in to follow this  
Pastorkevin

Newbie Cast Iron Grill Grate a Question

Hi guys! I'm new here & need some advice. I just purchased a Char-Giller Super Pro Model 2121 Barrel Grill. I initially seasoned my grates by rubbing them with Crisco & heating up coals to about 300 then letting the grates bake until the grates cooled. I've only grilled a couple times & waited until cooking to clean the grates. My question is that wham the grates are cool & I grab them to clean out the ash tray, they feel very greasy & oily, not like my cast iron skillet. Is this normal? Will this change with more use? Thanks.

Seems fine to me. Grill grates are not CI pans so they will behave slightly different

pretty normal especially if you don't do a burn after cooking to incinerate the cooking residue.

also, when greasing them up periodically (canola works well here too), remember to do both sides or the underside will rust in short order.

It sounds pretty normal to me. Some people even specially apply grease on their grill grates, in order to avoid things like rust and burnt food sticking to them. If you maintain the barbecue properly, it can last for ages and still provide quality grilled meat.

Again, pretty normal. Some think it's best to NOT burn off after grilling, just so that you WILL leave greasy coating (even with some food residue, though large pieces should be removed). Personally, I do my burn-off as part of the pre-heat for my next cook. And with cast iron grates, just as with CI cookware, it real important to immediately put an oil coating to protect from rust. As hood suggested, canola oil may be be a better oil. It is more heat-resistant than crisco and most other low-cost oils.

Rich