Sign in to follow this  
Don S

New Masterbuilt w cold smoker attachment & Bluetooth

Finally broke down and bought a 30 inch Masterbuilt Electic smoker w/Bluetooth

Added the cold smoker attachment

Bluetooth not very strong, loses signal once I walk into house

Ribs came out great, as did some smoked sausage and chicken wings!

Couple of pics

image.jpgimage.jpg

Looks like you filled it up already !

Even after being around for years, Bluetooth is still kinda hit-or-miss. Most devices use class-2 transceivers which will run up to about 30 feet in open air if there is no interference. When you start putting exterior walls / doors in the path the range drops off quickly or entirely as you are seeing. If you have the ability to try a different phone, tablet, lap-top ... give it a go. I have seen night and day differences with Bluetooth connections from different phones due to power management even though they were all class-2 capable.

I looked but couldn't find any tech data on the bluetooth transceiver in your smoker. Its probably Class-2 Version-4. If making this connection work inside your house is important you can find some web data about modifing the antenna to achieve greater sensitivity.

Maybe its just me but bluetooth control of a smoker or any of the new ovens coming out is more of a sales gimmick than anything else. Cool, yes but a silly solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Thanks for your thorough reply. Tried making connections with several iPhones and iPad with Same results

Sent email to manufacture doubt that their response will be as thorough as yours. Truthfully I have no interest in sitting on the deck next to the unit and using the remote device to control the time and temperature!

For those that know my history this is a big stepdown from my past smokersimage.jpg

Now thats a serious piece of hardware!

I quickly checked the Amazon reviews. Several people commented about the short connection distance. 10 - 15 feet looks average but one reviewer indicated it worked throughout his house. He must have paper thin walls.

After seeing your trailer pict I quickly realize bluetooth capability was not the key feature that compelled you to buy this unit but I'll bet that it is for some folks without your background. It just irritates me when stuff doesn't work like it should, the manufacturer knows about it, and doesn't care.

I didn't research Bluetooth as I should have! An old BBQ guy with limited technical knowledge.

Let's wait and see what Masterbuilt has to say ;)

P.s. What compelled me to buy it was the fact I could set it up and walk away and come back at the APPROPRIATE time!

I'm not one that likes to tinker with my smoke and temperature every 30 minutes like most of the products out there make you do!