tghooper

wood kitchen cabinet doors outside?? newbie build...

Hello all

I've been looking through all the posts and founds lots of useful information and thanks to all the contributors.

I've started my build using metal studs and 1/4 hardiboard. Just started framing the openings for doors. I found some nice solid wood oak doors for very little money that I plan to strip, prime and paint. My question : will this last in the rain and cold? Or am I wasting my effort?

Will post some pics soon

Thanks

Tony

Tony

It depends on exposure and climate. If it freezes where you live, then they probably won't last long. If they are facing the sun or very wet, the same result.

Check with your experts at a paint supplier to find out what treatment and finish will withstand the weather conditions there.

Nice and neat! I am curious why you are using wood as part of the framing though.

I don't know what RG is. I used a fiberglass mesh tape for my corners on the Hardi Backer seams. Then I painted concrete glue on the HB prior to a single color coat of stucco. It still looks great 16 years later.

I used tile on my first build. Exposure to sun, heat rain and other elements caused a few tiles to concern me. It was fine for about 6 years. I replaced everything with granite and that was over 10 years ago. It was the smartest move I ever made.

I'm using tile for the sides and concrete countertop. May do granite if I get lazy and not up to the challenge of pouring concrete.

I'm putting on the hardibacker now. I noticed the screw heads are keeping the HB from being totally flush with the metal frame in certain parts and leaving gaps that will be filled. Are these waves and unevenness in the wall be a concern when I tile?

Thanks for your input.

This is why I color coated mine with stucco. I have seen rock and brick facades used as well but never tile.

Keep in mind that the coefficient of thermal expansion is going to be different where wood and metal join. This becomes a living joint for movement with temperature and moisture. In my opinion, this could make the tile separate from the HB.

I didn't use stone because of the weight. The island is going on the deck so wasn't sure if it would be safe without reinforcing the beams. And wasn't sure if stucco would be a good choice for the weather here in the Pacific NW.

Are there stucco houses there? If there are, then you should not worry about stucco. I applied stucco to mine 16 years ago and it still looks new. Our weather here occasionally gets below freezing and often get to above 108 degrees for weeks at a time. We had 36" of rain in 2006. My island has never been protected by any structure over it to protect from wind, rain or sun.

I might add, we only painted the HB with concrete glue 45 minutes before applying a single color coat of stucco.

All I can do is advise what has worked for me and what I know about other builds. I have never heard of anyone tiling the sides. You might be ok, but I think it is a risk.

Finally got the Hardiboard on. It was definitely the most tedious and time consuming. Working in sections, I removed the pan heads lath screws on the frame and replaced them with flat heads thru the Hardi and studs. Everything is nice and flat.

post-28650-0-16138600-1454298604_thumb.jpeg

post-28650-0-02992100-1454298630_thumb.jpeg

post-28650-0-16358900-1454298651_thumb.jpeg

Stucco next?

Good luck with that. Tile did not last more than a few years before it started coming off. That is when I replaced the top with granite. The thermal expansion and contraction due to weather eventually takes it's toll.