T-BoneFL

Choice between EP-310, EP-310, E-310, and E-330, plus grates and sear

Hi.

First time poster here and I currently own a Weber Genesis Gold gas grill that lasted 15 years. Time for a new grill. My old grill came with bare cast iron grates from Hope Depot that lasted 4 years... too much maintenance and they started to rust, so I replaced with PCI that lasted 11 years (never rusted). Flavor bars were replaced twice in 15 years... but probably could have been replaced a third time.

A few concerns:

1. I really like the EP-3xx in Smoke color... I would gladly pay the extra $50 over the cost of an E-3xx just for the color alone. But my concern is the SS grates. I've never had SS before and don't know if I would like them. I guess they'll never rust if I care for them... just like my PCI never rusted after 11 years of use.

2. Do I need the sear station? I guess ignorance is bliss :). I thought I was getting good sear on the old Genesis by preheating to 550, searing both sides, then lowering to 350 or so to cook indirect. But after seeing photos of dedicated IR burners, I now see that I was not. I really want a Weber and they don't have IR sear burners. Does the Genesis Sear burner really work work well and worth the money?

3. GrillGrates. I am considering GrillGrates (mainly if I go with the E-310)... saw plenty of youtube videos... then i read something about they are needed for grill that have poor heat... but webers are not in that category. So... would 2 GrillGates be worth it for searing if I go with the E-310 grill? What if I go with the E-330?

4. Finally, it did cross my mind to just get the plain E-3xx in one of the standard colors... and when the flavor bars need replacing, I could replace with heavy gauge RCPlaneBuyer flavor bars. If the PCI grates ever chip and rust, then I won't know what to do :)

Thanks again..

-T

Some thoughts and some opinions (which are solely my own).

The EP is better simply because of the stainless steel internals. For all intents and purposes you will never again replace flavorizer bars once you have stainless. However I have to say the new crop of stainless grates Weber charges so dearly for are IMO a disappointment. The spacing is so wide and the actual wires so small you could drop an entire porterhouse between them. I can fit my entire finger between them. In some ways I'd recommend getting the cheapest you can and than upgrading from RCPlanebuyer for grates and bars. As for grillgrates they basically turn your grill into a CharBroil. Look at a so-called Tru Infrared from CB and you'll see what I mean. If you like that sort of thing fine but me? Give me traditional grilling with quality materials. All things being equal heavy quality SS grates will perform as well as CI ones with less upkeep.

As for the searing burner, I have cooked on my sister's new style Genesis without one and frankly found it slightly disappointing performance wise especially compared to my very old Genesis III. Again my own opinion and observations.

I find myself a little "spoiled" as I have my Genesis III bought close to 25 years ago, my Summit 450 (currently out of commission due to rusted out fire box), and my Wolf monstrosity. For good measure I have a Broilmaster also someone gave me.

I have a current style EP-330 in Brick Red and, after 3 years with it, wouldn't consider any other Genny or any Summit short of the 6xx series. This Genny is that good. I don't agree with Hood's assessment of the Genesis SS grates. Yes, they are not as hefty as the Summit ss grates, but they are still plenty good and plenty (way plenty) strong and I doubt I will ever wear them out even with my continuous heavy usage. After only 2 years, I upgraded from the previous E-310 version with those PCI grates - while fine, they can't compare to the ss. If you buy an E-3xx or any 310 or 320 and ever get your hands on an EP-330 or S-330, I thinK you will be disappointed in your decision.

As far as the 330 sear station, no, it is not a true sear burner. But it adds a third burner right under your steak.

The EP-330 is more than just ss parts and extra stations. It is a superbly designed grill. Heat is not just about BTUs which are a measure of energy used. Heat is about the result. So the BTUs of the 330 may not look high but neither is propane use. The design allows for plenty of heat (hotter than the previous Genny) but, because the grill is so efficient, it uses about half the amount of propane as my small .Q-1200 for comparable cooking. And much less than the previous Genny models. And now you ' can understand the sear ration.

So stretch a little and be happy for many years.

If you search my previous posts, you'II see that I've written a lot about the EP-330 with pictures. Passing time and lots of use have only strengthened my opinions.

Thanks . guys. I appreciate the opinions.

Richlife: interesting you mentioned that you would not consider another weber except for maybe the summit 6xx, I did look at the E-620... it's a nice grill and online price of 1669 w/ fee shipping. I am not a fan of SS exteriors. Even at that price, it's pretty steep. But the burners are pretty close together so heat is probably more uniform, and I could use the extra grill width.

Hood: So I am leaning towards the the 330 of the 4 listed so I can get the sear station. And before I consider the aluminium GrillGates, I will have to cook some steaks first to see if the GrillGates are even needed.

Anyway, the EP-330 looks sweet...

-T

- T

Rich, my gripe with the grates (all Weber grates) doesn't have to do with strength but spacing. There is about 5/8" space between bars which IMHO is WAY too much and too easy to have stuff fall through. I realize I may be spoiled but I regularly enjoy just throwing things on the grill like shrimp or mushrooms, etc. On the new Weber grills I could never do that as even 16/20 shrimp would just fall through and would absolutely need to be skewered same with baby bella mushrooms. I admit I get lazy and don't bother to skewer smaller food. But common Weber.................for the price point they're in IMO there is no excuse for this especially on an otherwise fine piece of equipment. This is true of all the lines (Spirit, Genesis and Summit). Recently I was at a big box store with the little guy. There sitting on the floor was a Weber and a BroilKing side by side. Both had the PCI grates. Weber grill my entire finger could fit between the grate bars the MUCH less expensive (but IMO) equally well made BroilKing only the tips of my fingers. Additionally the BK had a pretty cool grate design in that you could reverse them to a type that was an inverted V design similar to the cast stainless grates on DCS grills which are pretty cool. Not trying to dis the Weber but really Weber. You could do a little better for the price. Again just an observation

T-Bone save your $$$$. GrillGrates are not needed (or IMO even desirable) unless you're trying to make up for deficiencies of a poorly designed grill in the first place. I still stand by my idea of buy the E330 then simply upgrade the flavorizer bars and grates to ones from RCPLanebuyer. You'll get Fbars you will never again need to replace and same with the grates. They will be full 3/8" 304 SS welded beautifully and spaced properly.

I truly think at about the $1000 price point the Genesis EP/SS series is Weber could have done this themselves.

Be well and happy cooking.............................both of you. Rich, best to your wife. I know a little of what you go through since my own wife has a medically verified allergy to pork. So if I am doing more than one type of meat I have to have different sets of utensils and even sometimes use 2 different grills

Best of luck on your decision T-Bone!

My wife... what a gem. I told her jokingly that I could get a really nice weber for 1599... the e-620. She said Sure.

I said Are you nuts? I cannot spend that kinday of money.

Here reply was We are both working. Get it if you want it.

I wish I would have had that conversation before I posted to the group :)

Anyway, the distance between the 620 burners are comparable to the distance between the 330 sear burners. So I am thinking that using 2 adjacent 620 burners would act like a sear station.

Mainly because the burners are approx 6 inches apart. And on the 330, the sear burner as spaced about 5 1/2 inches from the left and middle burner.

Anyway, looks like I am headed a different direction, but willing to give the SS grates a try. But the advice I got here helped.

-T

You know the old saying "in for a penny in for a pound"? I would suggest to you looking into either the 470 or 670. The reason is if you like rotisserie foods you will truly appreciate having that dedicated rotisserie burner. Also that side burner is a really nice thing to have. Can't tell you how many times I use mine especially in the summer. Just a suggestion

You like myself have a good wife!

You know the old saying "in for a penny in for a pound"? I would suggest to you looking into either the 470 or 670. The reason is if you like rotisserie foods you will truly appreciate having that dedicated rotisserie burner. Also that side burner is a really nice thing to have. Can't tell you how many times I use mine especially in the summer. Just a suggestion

You like myself have a good wife!

Yup, in for a pound now :) The E-620 comes with the side burner, so that's nice. I used mine every so often on my Genesis Gold. Although I am not too thrilled about getting the rotisserie... never used one before and probably can live without it.

-T

If you've never had good rotisserie you haven't lived my friend LOL. Because you went ahead with the 620 you can still do some spinning but because of the burner layout you'll never get the results you could with a dedicated rotisserie burner or with an old style Genesis with E/W burners. I didn't know the 620 had a side burner so that is one advantage for you. Enjoy!

Side burners have always been kinda meh for me. But a rotisserie is an invaluable tool.

Dammit... now I am second guessing. Have not pulled the trigger yet. More research is in order. I am researching add-on rotisseries... many seem to fail according to the Amazon reviews.

The 670 is way more than I want to pay. And the 470 is a huge jump over the EP-330. Although the 470 is about the same as the 620.

-T

If a 330 is big enough for you the 470 is a great compromise as you get the rotisserie burner (and I think the actual rotisserie kit) included in the price, your searing burner and the side burner. Just sayin'

I just question spending that kind of money on the 4xx when the 6xx is available. For my money, the 330 is little different than the 4xx so a much better bargain. With spousal approval, go all the way! But it's appropriate to do as you say and compare and see them for yourself. Frankly, no need to second guess -- you will get a great grill.

Hood, good explanation on the grates. You're right. I am either very careful with my shrimp (assuming I'm only grilling a few to go along with something else), or I use a grill basket with them.

Just following up. I went in a different direction altogether.

AMAZON Prime Day special had the Kamado Joe Classic And Joetisserie rotisserie attachment. 1,000 bucks.

While my wife gave the OK for the 620, she kept saying "buy a big Green Egg," so... gonna give the ceramic cooker a try.

Hmmmm, She sez "buy a big Green Egg," and you buy a big Red Egg.

Whatchya think Rich????

John

Well, it did not exactly happen like that :-)

My wife never really did like gas ggrillin. this last 4th of July, she made us all Hamburgers on her $30 Bubba charcoal grill that she bought because my existing Weber Gold Genesis isn't working anymore.

She's actually been telling me for decades that we should go barbecue with charcoal.

Hmmmm, She sez "buy a big Green Egg," and you buy a big Red Egg.

Whatchya think Rich????

John

Hey! What she says, John. :wub:

Regardless, with the Big Green Egg you get a great grill/smoker, T-BoneFL. Smile -- reap the reward! And I repeat :wub:

I said that because when I Google searched Kamado Joe Classic all I saw was RED egg.

I have said for a long time that I will not debate one word on the taste that can be achieved using charcoal, but will not back away from, with using my gas grill we are going to the dishwasher before you can come in the door. Charcoal grilling is for an event not every day.

John

Amen to that. IMO a good gas grill is nearly indispensable. Also used properly and with little "tweaks" the consumers of the food made on it in most cases are not able to tell the difference whether it was done on gas or charcoal though if that charcoal is the briquette type full of mastic and chemical the unmistakable odor and taste of chemicals does give it away LOL