RickNY

Question on how to check if NG Genesis Silver C was converted properly

Hi.. We have a 10 year old Genesis Silver C Premium (2005). It was given to us new as a gift, and has always been used with LP. Last weekend, I wanted to replace several things on it, and discovered that the nameplate inside the grill specifies that it is an NG model. (Part 6831301)

Heres my question.. The grill is equipped with the LP tank holder/scale.. Is there a way I could tell if the rest of the grill was converted properly to LP (e.g. orifices, manifold)? I spoke to the person that purchased it for us 10 years ago, and he didn't recall anything about a conversion being done.. I notice that when the grill is set with all 3 burners set for medium on the control knobs, that the hod thermometer will get up to about 425 F -- which seems high to me.

Thanks,

Rick

It's fine. If it wasn't jetted correctly (IOW using on LP when it should be NG) you would not be able to use the grill at all. You'd be going through tanks of gas like nobody's business. Also flames on high would be wrapping around the flavorizer bars and be actually visible and orange. That style of Genesis runs hot due to the shallow fire box. Don't sweat it. The trouble with how they put the s/n on the grill is it's too easy for the side panel to be switched accidentally or on purpose. Perhaps the person assembling it dropped the control panel and swiped one from another grill. There is no difference between NG/LP models other than the s/n taped on the panel

Yeah, thanks, Hood! Good and interesting answer even though I don't have to deal with it.

Rick, Hood also spoke the the temps with Med settings. My current Genesis 330 would hit about that also. With all burners on high, my max is about 650-675, so the 450 on Med is not out of whack. My difficulty (and "complaint" if you want to call it that) is getting temps low enough to cook slowly. Even with only one burner on Low, my minimum is 350. For anyone else with a 330 model, it recently occurred to me to try setting the "sear" burner to low instead of one of the outside burners. Not much closer to my food at the other end, but that burner is rated at fewer BTUs than the others. I haven't tried that yet. My house was being painted limitiing my access to my grill. (I think the sear burner is 8 vs 10 BTUs, but not sure.)

Well, two things... I decided this morning to replace the burners on this unit.. Despite cleaning the old burners, I was experiencing quite a bit of orange flame on the front and rear burners.. When I would preheat the grill with the old burners, the hood thermometer would be reading 600+ after 15 minutes or so. While replacing the burner tubes, I took a look at the orifices and compared them to pictures elsewhere on this site that had a picture of the NG and the LP orifices side by side. I clearly have LP orifices on there. I believe we had the original burner tubes from 2005 on there.

Secondly -- after replacing the burners, I preheated the grill. Now I have nice blue flame throughout with occasional yellow tips, and after 15-20 minutes of preheating on high, the hood temperature seems to settle in just below 600. I noticed that Weber redesigned the tubes slightly from the ones I replaced by adding a slit about 3/4 down the length of each tube, which I read that Weber did to improve air mixing.

Thanks for the help!

Rick