Sign in to follow this  
Briant73

Weber Genesis 330 lid paint issue

Hello been awhile since I posted but recently I noticed the left side of my weber genesis lid the paint is flaking off, Weber is going to send me some touch up paint and told me to sand it but before I do anything I wanted to see what the people here think because a it's not a small area and the paint seems to have a textured finish to it. Let me know what you think I should do -

Update this grill is less than five years old in case anyone is wondering.

post-4517-0-90385500-1471279045_thumb.jpeg

Unless you think their instructions were completely clear, I would wait until you have the paint (to see if they provided enough for the complete side or just to spot paint), then call and ask for clarification on the sanding and painting. The side panel is definitely textured. Are you supposed to sand off the texture? What do you apply the paint with? (a roller will restore texture somewhat) Did they give you complete instructions? (how to apply, spot or complete, how much to sand, how long to cure before using, and any other questions you may have)

As this is being offered as a warranty solution, I don't think you should follow any instructions except Weber's.

They're slipping. In the past (at least if you read the anecdotes many post(ed) here) they would have sent you a whole new hood

So far all Weber has done is offer to send me paint, tell me to sand area and apply paint (that's it), tell me the warranty for rust through still stands and to contact if further issue. I will see what they send me but if it's a small tube of paint I will contact them again. When I sent the pictures to them, made sure to tell them even where you see paint, it's flaking off so I think I'll need to repaint most of the side.

They're slipping. In the past (at least if you read the anecdotes many post(ed) here) they would have sent you a whole new hood

Yup.

Looks like it will continue to peel unless you repaint the whole thing or get a new hood. I would push Weber on this.

New paint will not "solve" it. The reason the paint is coming off in the first place is because the parts did not go through the proper chemical etch PRIOR to being finished at the factory. Until those parts are chemically etched paint will just continue to flake away

New paint will not "solve" it. The reason the paint is coming off in the first place is because the parts did not go through the proper chemical etch PRIOR to being finished at the factory. Until those parts are chemically etched paint will just continue to flake away

I feel you're right and I will contact Weber once i see what they sent me, which I'm pretty sure is just a small touch tube of paint.

Well as everyone guessed and I suspected they sent a small tube of touch up paint and no instructions past the sand and paint they told me in an email. I wrote them another email detailing my questions and concerns, I know that no product is perfect but I bought Weber for the customer service if something does go wrong so fingers crossed I get somewhere with their support.

Update - I wrote weber back and they apologized for the confusion and are sending a new lid. I asked them what about the firebox which I noticed is having the same issue as the lid (though not as easy to see unless looking for it) and an issue I have had since I got the grill, the igniter is not working well. I will see what they say but glad that someone in customer service is listening and working with me!

Another successful serive story -- more complicated, but successful -- so far...

Another successful serive story -- more complicated, but successful -- so far...

So far very good, they saw pictures of the firebox and are going to replace that also. They asked I check the igniter positioning on the burners which I will do but to be honest I think the igniter unit itself is weak, it's never been good since day one.