Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
that1guy

The end of Weber?

16 posts in this topic

So a friend of mine knows a guys that buys grills for a big company. He said weber sold out to a investment firm and we saw the new line of grills today. He said the quality is gone. He said they are even going to open bottom cabinets. I think he said they are going to kill the genesis line and replace it with cheaper grills. But looks like the summit line won't be changed until next year. I hope he is wrong but has anybody else heard about this?

There are pix of the new Genesis line in the Weber forum here. And yes, they do seem more cheap with visible corners being cut and do seem a definite step backwards. But I haven't seen one in the wild yet. So my impression may change.

But rest assured you'll still pay plenty for that Weber badge

I was thinking about waiting to get a new grill but maybe it would be better to get the current line. Pretty soon a good gas grill will be out of most people's price range. Hopefully Im worried for no reason and they will lower the price too.

Sadly there is no good reason for the pricing we see. Think about it. There is nothing "rocket science" about building a good gas grill. Other than companies are doing what so many do these days. Maximizing board room profit. Forget about the workers and the customers. If the people in the board room are happy it's all that matters. Companies that used to be great companies in the field are gone or not good any more. Companies like CharBroil, Charmglow, Ducane and so on. Count Weber on this list too. As they move further and further from turning out solid, durable and innovative product that held up with reasonable care for decades not years.

I was thinking about waiting to get a new grill but maybe it would be better to get the current line. Pretty soon a good gas grill will be out of most people's price range. Hopefully Im worried for no reason and they will lower the price too.

Consider Broil King. They are available at Lowe's and are North America made (USA or Canada), equivalent or better quality than Weber, and you get a better bang for the buck because you are not paying "Cadillac" pricing for the Weber name. Check out my review of the Broil King Regal Pro I purchased in the BK forum here: http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=10216#entry93328

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/en_us/

I like the broil king line. They sell it at a few stores locally. I'm probably just going to pull the trigger on a pellet grill now.

Time will tell if the new 2017 Weber Genesis grills are a good grill for the price or not, but I agree the open cart thing has me concerned though I did read they will have LUX models that have carts.

Time will tell if the new 2017 Weber Genesis grills are a good grill for the price or not, but I agree the open cart thing has me concerned though I did read they will have LUX models that have carts.

So pay extra for what they currently now offer? :huh:

Of course! Now that Weber is getting further and further from being a manufacturing company to a marketing company.

Yeah if it's a premium over the open bottom model that's not going to be good.

Of course! Now that Weber is getting further and further from being a manufacturing company to a marketing company.

Like I said I will wait and see what happens but one thing I hope is these grills are more substance than marketing at their price point, if not hopefully some other company fills the niche.

So a friend of mine knows a guys that buys grills for a big company. He said weber sold out to a investment firm and we saw the new line of grills today. He said the quality is gone. He said they are even going to open bottom cabinets. I think he said they are going to kill the genesis line and replace it with cheaper grills. But looks like the summit line won't be changed until next year. I hope he is wrong but has anybody else heard about this?

Weber-Stephens sold a majority stake in 2010 to BDT Holdings, an investment company. There have been zero other ownership changes since then so your buddy's info. is off. They still have the same CEO as well. They have moved their corporate headquarters a few miles to a new building but that's it. They have come out with a new line of grills for 2017. Ace Hardware has started showcasing them. Might be a pre-order arrangement, of that I am not sure. Looking at the pictures, looks like you get a lot less for your money than the up-2016 models. They are calling it/them Genesis II:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesis-II-E-410-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Crimson-62030001/300167546?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=sQL2OMXc2|dt_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_50058232181_pkw__pmt__product_300167546_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAiAmo_CBRC9qbGQssjqi28SJABYTgZxSYCh5ZHk_L3n-VklkVzGUJhNImbImWN30ieBsRp6oxoC1B7w_wcB

I for one like a cabinet unserneath...even for my NG stainless Spirit. You can store stuff under there and it's a better look. Plus it remains to be seen if the new design is an improvement or change for the sake of change. They look like high priced cheap China grills with Weber color schemes and monikers.Looks like a shift of strategy perhaps towards accessories too. iPhone app wireless thermometers and the like. My main concern would be parts availability of the more established models going forward.

Well I guess according to this http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/the forum will have to move Weber from the "made in north America" forum LOL. Well sadly the handwriting was on the wall here. Steadily shortened warranties, more and more of the content in the box coming from China (meaning the product was no longer "Made in USA" but Packed in USA) but heck now they can't even claim that much with this new Genesis line. If these changes came with a substantial reduction in price well OK maybe a decent marketing move to allow more folks into the Weber "family". But no, the pricing structure has increased astronomically and places the Genesis squarely into the lofty prices from much higher end companies and beyond competitors like Onward who does make their product in North America (mostly Indiana and or Canada).

Fortunately, I believe anyway...and it's not just wishful thinking,parts for the more recent traditional Weber models will be readily available. Big box stores, eBay, Amazon.com, etc... My interest as a potential new consumer down the line, is zero based on pictures, price and intel.

But one door closes and another one opens. So it will be cool to see how the competition steps up their game. Had my eye on a used Napolean last spring for our beach house. Seemed complicated to convert it to NG so I took the easy way out with a stainless Spirit...Craigslist of course.

But there are other brands out there that are very decent including Huntington and Broilking...Onward Manufacturing. ..as some here have stated. Plus it will be interesting to see what President Trump's influence on made in America by Americans will have going forward.

Weber had a good long run. The best ones are probably used or older inventory now.

Weber-Stephens sold a majority stake in 2010 to BDT Holdings, an investment company. There have been zero other ownership changes since then so your buddy's info. is off. They still have the same CEO as well. They have moved their corporate headquarters a few miles to a new building but that's it. They have come out with a new line of grills for 2017. Ace Hardware has started showcasing them. Might be a pre-order arrangement, of that I am not sure. Looking at the pictures, looks like you get a lot less for your money than the up-2016 models. They are calling it/them Genesis II:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesis-II-E-410-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Crimson-62030001/300167546?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=sQL2OMXc2|dt_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_50058232181_pkw__pmt__product_300167546_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAiAmo_CBRC9qbGQssjqi28SJABYTgZxSYCh5ZHk_L3n-VklkVzGUJhNImbImWN30ieBsRp6oxoC1B7w_wcB

I for one like a cabinet unserneath...even for my NG stainless Spirit. You can store stuff under there and it's a better look. Plus it remains to be seen if the new design is an improvement or change for the sake of change. They look like high priced cheap China grills with Weber color schemes and monikers.Looks like a shift of strategy perhaps towards accessories too. iPhone app wireless thermometers and the like. My main concern would be parts availability of the more established models going forward.

I just noticed this post and did a little looking. This doesn't look correct. Looks like Thomas Koos ( former chief for Black and Decker) got the CEO seat in spring of 2013. Also looks like the company was divided into 2 divisions. One for restsurant / comercial and one for BBQ grills. Looks like the original Stephens family went mainly into the restsurant / commercial route and "got out" of the grill buisness. So there could be much more to the OP's post than can be dismissed as rumor.

Basically it has become just another Chinese marketing company. Most of it is either all Made in China or the majority of the pieces are made there and the grill is "assembled?" here. The Weber name will carry on I am sure just like CharBroil, and Thermos and CharmGlow all formerly great American companies now just fronts for Chinese stuff