peakay

New 2016 E-330 Tested: Time to Temps and High / Low

Hey there,

I got my new E-330 from Lowe's this week (photos below) and decided to break her in last night. While doing the burnoff I timed the temperatures as they went up/down plus checked out what the high and low temps are for it.

I realize these will change with time as the grill gets seasoned, but thought it might be interesting for those looking at new ones. weather was about 70 degrees with a good breeze blowing on the grill. Also, this is with all 4 burners going (3 + sear) - I paid for that extra burner, might as well see what she can do!

Here's what I saw (degree - time) at the hood / dome thermostat:

• 200 - 0:35

• 300 - 1:15

• 350 - 1:50

• 400 - 2:25

• 450 - 3:10

• 475 - 3:40

• 500 - 4:05

• 525 - 4:45

• 550 - 5:30

• 575 - 6:20

• 600 - 7:25

• 625 - 8:25

• 650 - 10:55

• 675 - 13:45

• 680 - 15:00 (calling this max temp - might have gone up a few more)

Next, I turned off only the sear burner and temps immediately fell. After 5 mins, the max temp dropped by 45 degrees to 635.

As for low temps, I brought the temps down slowly and then opened the hood for a while to cool more, then tuned on just the sear burner for 10 mins., then switched to just the LH burner. Here's what i saw:

• 240 - sear only on low

• 230 - left burner only (calling this low temp)

The above surprised me as I thought the smaller sear burner would put out less heat on low -- didn't seem to be the case. you might as well just use the left burner for low/slow as the control is better. The good news is these temps look good for low/slow BBQ, so that is great!

@richlife - might have to try your gasket mod once this is broken in and see how she does.

Hope this is interesting to someone. YMMV of course. I seasoned the grill afterwards with a bunch of 80/20 burgers - yum!

20160822_180257_zpsxqdu8q0k.jpg

20160822_175924_zpsksywgyvd.jpg

I think it's because the sear burner is right under the thermometer not because it's "hotter"

I think it's because the sear burner is right under the thermometer not because it's "hotter"

Actually its much farther away than on my 1989 model.

The old grills were great, but the new ones are cool too. After 12 years of using my redhead, I was bored with it. Time to try something new and see how they work. Respectfully, there is no need to try to find a flaw in every new millennium weber...we get it, you prefer the old ones.

Actually its much farther away than on my 1989 model.

The old grills were great, but the new ones are cool too. After 12 years of using my redhead, I was bored with it. Time to try something new and see how they work. Respectfully, there is no need to try to find a flaw in every new millennium weber...we get it, you prefer the old ones.

Not sure where you're trying to go with that quip. I was simply stating a FACT that the left burner is further from the thermometer than the searing burner PERIOD which allows the thermometer to "read" it easier is all. Not comparing it to 1989 model or making ANY other judgement. Yes I prefer the older models so what? There was NO judgement or opinion call made on your new unit. Just that the sear burner is closer (being near the center) where the thermometer is. That's where it ends. Got it?!

I don't think temps matter too much. Any competent grill will get sufficiently hot. It is how you use those temps that matter. For reference, see attached photo of my BK after about 8-9 minutes, ambient temp was high 60's F. when this shot was taken.

post-10259-0-85667700-1472313424_thumb.jpg

I was simply stating a FACT that the left burner is further from the thermometer than the searing burner PERIOD which allows the thermometer to "read" it easier is all. Not comparing it to 1989 model or making ANY other judgement.

OK, this makes sense now with more explanation -- I took your comment a whole different way. It's all good!

I don't think temps matter too much. Any competent grill will get sufficiently hot. It is how you use those temps that matter. For reference, see attached photo of my BK after about 8-9 minutes, ambient temp was high 60's F. when this shot was taken.

True....was just throwing out what I saw for any prospective buyers wondering how high/low they go. You certainly buried that needle on the BK!

Chris, you didn't say in your review (or I don't remember). Is that hood lined? IOW, double stainless with an air gap? You said you don't feel heat radiating much and that's a fast heatup. Just wondering about the build.

Chris, you didn't say in your review (or I don't remember). Is that hood lined? IOW, double stainless with an air gap? You said you don't feel heat radiating much and that's a fast heatup. Just wondering about the build.

Maybe? I am at work right now. Online specs are:

the Regal 490 offers a stainless steel hood panel with double-lined cast aluminum end caps

All I know is that grill is crazy hot and well insulated. When I get home, I will check to see if I can tell anything further.

Rich I am pretty sure BroilKing is a double walled hood. Also they use heavier weight aluminum castings than Weber does. They're more like the old deep firebox Webers than the new very thin walled ones

Do you have NG or propane?

Thanks for doing this test because I recently converted my S330 from propane to NG. Ever since then I felt it's coming up much faster than when it was using propane. I thought I couldn't keep it at low but it did stay at 230 ish with just the left burner on low which is consistent with your stats. So thanks for that.

Do you have NG or propane?

Propane, newer tank mostly full. This was the first time it had been run, so I assume this is the best case scenario.