Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Kolwicz

Installing a hotter burner

6 posts in this topic

I have an old Sunshine L4 Legend (propane, 4 cast iron burners - about 12K btu each) and I'd like to install either a 20k U burner or a 15+k infrared sear space or both (replace one or two existing burners). I have no idea what I need to know to do this except physical dimensions, which should be adequate either way.

The existing burners are barely hot enough and have very uneven grate surface temperatures, is fine for uncritical foods, but iffy for decent steaks and pork tenderloins and such that I want to get just right internally with a controllable sear.

And, just to make it clear, I don't want to switch to charcoal (btdt and don't want to spend that much time prepping a fire) or spend big $$ to replace what is a decent enough grill overall.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Frank

Are you in Australia?

OK was confused because the grill you ask about is an Australian product. As to your question. Burners in and of themselves are not "hotter/cooler". The amount of fuel and air that flows through is what makes them burn hotter or cooler. That being said your first thing should be to make sure the burner(s) are clean and free of insects, debris and the holes are all clear. Next the gas regulator and valves should all be working normally. Only then can you judge your total heat output and evenness. Just swapping in a different burner will not in and of itself make a hotter grill

I'm running new burners and a new regulator, so that should all be OK and the grill works just as it did before - not hot enough over most of the grate and uneven - there are two palm-sized patches that char nicely (two burners), but the rest is iffy and large cuts brown/cook unevenly. I'd like to have a good size sear or hot area and use the main two burners (on the right of my grill) for slower cooking, possibly with lava rock over the flames.

Maybe invest in a better quality grill. If it runs like that with new burners and regulator than nothing you do will make it better. Scrounge on Craigslist. You never know the treasures you find there. Look at the one I found for only $150. Bare in mind this thing new was a $9000 unit for just the head and another $2500 for just the cart! Very little work needed. Elbow grease basically. post-8321-0-12396500-1479647269_thumb.jpgpost-8321-0-90883500-1479647270_thumb.jpg and this is what I got.