rawilt

Tile for countertop?

I'm in the middle of a new build now. I've been planning to use a tile for my countertop, but have some concern. Some pictures I've seen look great. But other pictures using tile just looks like a bathroom floor to me.

Any tips for the kind of tile, tile size, grout lines, colors, etc that are best for creating a countertop?

When I built my first Island I used tile. After several years in the sun, rain, hot cold etc a few tiles started to come up. I stripped them all off and recovered it with Granite. It was far better in appearance and after 15 years it still looks new.

So my advice is don't do it in tile.

Good luck

Dave

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a little concerned around the cost of granite. Especially as there are many small parts with large cutouts. I feel like I'd be eating a lot of cost.

FYI, attached is my initial framing. It will be an L shape, but a bar top that extends to the left. That bar top will be a live edge ceder slab, supported on one side by the kitchen and the other with a leg or pole.

post-29043-0-63727000-1485535471_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great start. The lack of sufficient vertical supports allows for sagging which will pop tiles. If you can, add more support. Or use 1/2 Hardie Backer on the sides. 1/4" on the sides is fine if you have more studs and 1/2'" on the top.

Then I would go with the largest tiles you can find.

I have always used the little rubber "X" spacers that you can find wherever tile is sold. Depending on your climate zone, you might also inquire at your local store what prep, tile set and grout is best for an outdoor installation.

Sheet the top with 1" 1/8 exterior plywood, but like Dave said i would go with some more vertical studs, then follow a nailing schedule like every 4"s

You can buy nice granite tiles at Floor & Decor for a good price. I would use a tight spacing (1/8") and a resin based grout. I am looking at tiles that are 12" x 24" . That will cover a lot of space quickly and minimized groute lines.

Thanks. I considered the concrete tops for a while as well. I ended up going with a filled travertine tile that will cooridinate well with the patio tiles and backsplash stacks I picked. I went with large 12x24 tiles and will keep the grout lines as tight as I can. I'll look into the resin based grout options.

Thank you all for the tips!

I've nearly finished the base and cabinets and will start building the counter top soon.