Don S

Pork Belly

Just bought my first pork belly slab approx 4lbs. I know many of you may be shocked it's my FIRST one.

Plan on smoking it skin side up in my Master Built Smoker 6 hours 250-260. Butcher suggests followed by 1-2 hours @ 350 to crisp it up.

Any comments, suggestions, observations?

Pardon MY ignorance, but are you making bacon or pork belly? I've done bacon a couple of times with pretty fair success but still feel I can do better. I asked my question because you didn't mention curing.

Pardon MY ignorance, but are you making bacon or pork belly? I've done bacon a couple of times with pretty fair success but still feel I can do better. I asked my question because you didn't mention curing.

Not bacon, BBQ' d pork belly. Hear it's really tasty and totally different than pork shoulder. Most of online recipes are Asian.etc.

Looking for somewhat traditional bbq style

Nice! Thanks for the explanation. Hope you can give us some pics -- sounds very interesting. I bet you need a bid drip pan!

My butcher said "Once you go belly you'll never go Butt" . We'll see!

Here's a suggestion from a friend (Anthony Mullins) that owns Swine Dining Competition Bbq Team in Georgia

"I injected it first with a combination of apple juice, sugar, salt, white vinegar and trappy's hot sauce. 3 to 1 apple juice to vinegar. Then applied rub and refrigerated overnight. Smoked for 8 hours at 260F. During the cooking, once I had the color I liked (about 3 hours), I wrapped it in aluminum foil for the balance of the cooking adding about a half of a cup of apple juice in the foil. The key to success is letting all of the fat render out. At the end I glazed it with BBQ sauce and let it set up then it rested about an hour on the kitchen counter before I pulled it apart. It takes a good bit of time but man is it worth it. You can always cook it hotter and faster."

Anthony Mullins'creation Grilled Pork Belly and Cheese Sandwich

IMG_2039.JPG

Well report back on it. I'd love to try this. Though I would have to do it in a gasser since I don't have a large enough charcoal grill any more

Well report back on it. I'd love to try this. Though I would have to do it in a gasser since I don't have a large enough charcoal grill any more

It's only 4 lbs so you're gasser should work fine ! Going to take pics.....

Looking forward to it, Don.

Well, just consumed some PB, I have to say the process may be on me!

8 hrs @ 260 ,, rested , followed by 1 hr at 350 !

Not enough, greasy etc!

At this point rather do Boston butt ! Someone help me on this!

IMG_4290.JPG

ouch! Maybe some just like the fat? Do you think more time on the first pass? I would think it would start getting pretty chewy, though.

ouch! Maybe some just like the fat? Do you think more time on the first pass? I would think it would start getting pretty chewy, though.

imho! If you cook it down to get rid of the fat, you are looking at $10/lb

Miss Barbara said too fatty, I said too fatty, butt () if you cook it down fats gone, so's your money!

Someone help me here! Left overs are in the trash

I agree with you on that. Actually, living in NC and just a few miles from one of the acknowleded best bbq places in the state, it's now a tossup whether to even smoke Boston Butt or go to Allen & Sons and pick up a finished pound for $8.

Could be worse Don. I used to brew beer -- 15 gallons at a time. My job became more intensive and instead of brewing regularly, I could only occasionally find time. Before I quit, I had poured 4 complete batches down the hillside because of DIFFERENT mistakes I made which produced pure swill. Just can't stay consistent when you only do it for a snatched day now and then...

Not exactly the same situation, but I do know how you feel about throwing your results in the trash.

But I will wait to see if someone else has some good ideas. At least SOMETHING good came of this... <wince -- too soon?>

You have to admit when you screwed up! Not sure I know the answer at this point. But will stick to the basics for now!

Bacon is bacon, butts are butts , pork belly is........?

Don, Rich

First off sorry the cook did not turn out for you.

A friend of mine gave me a 5+ pound porkbelly that I have not had the nerve to cook yet.

Seen multiple youtube vids and done some research. Heck even watched a project smoke episode of Raichlens when he cooked it for some type of Asian bun thing.

Couple of vids had procedures for crisping skin. One guy poored hot oil over the fat to crisp it up. Another guy used a gasser to finish it off. Sounded like hitting wood when he tapped it with tongs. Gave both of these ideas a wave off.

Then I remembered Triangle posted a German receipe here once with detailed instructions for Krustenbraten. It calls for a difft cut of meat but the process for crisping up the fat is pretty straight forward.

With that in mind next weekend I'm going to give it a shot.

BTW the original receipe is killer. I have done it twice with success.

Fingers crossed on outcome.

Well, just consumed some PB, I have to say the process may be on me!

8 hrs @ 260 ,, rested , followed by 1 hr at 350 !

Not enough, greasy etc!

At this point rather do Boston butt ! Someone help me on this!attachicon.gifIMG_4287.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4287.JPG

dont throw it out Don, if you cured it or smoked it, fry it like bacon afterward, if you still don't like it put it in the toaster oven on 150ish for a few hours and cut it into dog treats

dont throw it out Don, if you cured it or smoked it, fry it like bacon afterward, if you still don't like it put it in the toaster oven on 150ish for a few hours and cut it into dog treats

It was such a gooey mess that it was tossed. I've got a new Boston butt in freezer to work on

And all the dogs in the neighborhood are mourning... -_-:D