Sign in to follow this  
Okeano

Weber Summit Smoke Box Modifications

I'm wondering what people have done to their Summit for improvement. The sear zone isn't getting quite hot as I'd like, and the smoker box does not work well. I would like to convert the right side of the grill (460) to a charcoal sear station. However, I'm not sure if there is narrow cooking grate out there that would fit in the space of the smoker box (I'm thinking of buying the narrow grate that comes with the 660 then trim it to the right width with hacksaw). I'm looking at the charcoal pan for Napoleon too, but haven't check the fitment. Has anyone found good solutions and/or parts that can convert part of the grilling area to charcoal (that lights by the burner or funnels the gas itself for fire source)?

I would look at multiple charcoal trays available for other grills and see if one would work. The ones that come to mind are Coyote, Lion, and Blaze. There may be others. If you contact one of the vendors for these products, they may be able to give you the exact dimensions so that you can find one that fits. I know the lion is pretty narrow, it just might work. I would try to find one that fits over one of the burners in place of the flavorizer tents.

here is the instruction sheet for the Lion tray.

http://cdn.shocho.co/sc-specsheets/2878008%20Charcoal-Tray-IM-B.pdf?_ga=1.240607686.456449403.1487356591

I found the dimensions on the Lion tray:

"17-5/8" x 7-1/8" x 1-3/4

These dimensions include the lip at each end of the length of the tray they are just over a half inch each so the actual tray demension is 16 1/2 inches long.
By David H on March 24, 2015"

Understand the newer Weber products are not made nearly as well as the older ones. Be aware that charcoal (especially hardwood lump which is the only charcoal one should ever cook over) burns MUCH hotter than gas flames. Two things first. You will most likely void your warranty. Two, you can have enough heat to burn through or warp the fire box of your grill. Bottom line. If you feel the need to use charcoal get a separate charcoal grill made for that use

Understand the newer Weber products are not made nearly as well as the older ones. Be aware that charcoal (especially hardwood lump which is the only charcoal one should ever cook over) burns MUCH hotter than gas flames. Two things first. You will most likely void your warranty. Two, you can have enough heat to burn through or warp the fire box of your grill. Bottom line. If you feel the need to use charcoal get a separate charcoal grill made for that use

Yes, after I made this thread, I did more digging. It does sound like using charcoal in my Weber would not be a good idea. I do want the grill to last and would hate to void the warranty. I recently discovered the charcoal chimney so that has made starting a charcoal fire much easier. Thank you for the advice.