Sign in to follow this  
dcoville

Help me pick a grill!!!

I've always made the most with the under $500 big box store brand gas grills. I lost my last one during my divorce (she didn't take it, she just didn't ever cover it in 2 years and it fell apart. I forget the brand but it was the 4 burner infrared u grate one from Home Depot. I used it all year round and miss it.

Last year I bought one of those plug in trash can grills that I literally caught on fire (like baking soda required fire). Lets not talk about that.

I hadn't put much thought into it until I was walking through Costco and saw a gorgeous Kitchenaid grill. Like with anything else I prefer to do my research instead of making impulse purchases. Long story short I've started researching Webers, Napoleons, and everything under the sun and am ready to pull the trigger, I just can't decide what.

My budget is around $1000, I'm ok spending less, I'm ok spending a bit more. To spend over $1500 it better do mote than grill (the napoleon with the ice box? lol) Point my money in the right direction!!! Any advice is appreciated!!!

-Doug

The higher quality ones that come to mind in that price range are Weber, Broil King and Napolean. I would try to get a good look at all three.

If you can, try to find a grill shop, You can get better than internet pricing on some brands (not Weber). Quite often they will assemble and deliver as part of the cost.

You are looking for some thing a "cut above" the big box stuff. If you can find a couple of places close by, I think you will be surprised by the price, selection and service available.

Let us know what you decide.

I can say the new stuff coming from Weber IMO is a HUGE (or YUGE) LOL disappointment. Depending on the model either completely made in China or nearly 100%. Heck even the products they claim "Made in USA" are really not (like the VERY expensive Genesis II LX line) are really not. They are only assembled here with parts that were made in China. IMO Weber has fallen from grace in a big way. Even small details like spacing of the grate bars being so far apart that food can simply fall through.

I would be looking more from the lineup at www.omcbbq.com or others. However recently on a shopping trip to Sam's I saw this https://www.samsclub.com/sams/6-burner-gas-grill/prod20650624.ip?xid=plp:product:1:5and my only real misgiving about it is it does not have a rear rotisserie burner so would not be a good choice if you're one that likes to "spin" their food. But from my observation in the store it is all stainless (I am sure not 304 or 316) but at least as good as anything on a Weber (at 3x the price). The grates are solid and well spaced too. Plus at only $499 and with the Sam's guarantee (keep the receipt and if ever dissatisfied they will refund your $$$ or replace the product) you cannot go wrong (especially at $499!). Heck if I really wanted a brand new grill right now I'd sure buy one.

That being said the other option is to peruse listings (like Craigslist) in your area for used high quality equipment. It is how I found my Wolf grill. At the time I bought it the seller was asking $250. When I contacted her she asked if I could get it that day. I affirmed and she said $150. Other than some elbow grease I have not spent a dime on it (an love it). At the time I got it I researched the only Wolf dealer in the area (ABT Appliances) they were still selling it. $10,000.00 for the grill head alone (yes you read that right $10K) and another $3500.00 for the cart. It is solid 304SS even the frame is solid welded 304 square tube stock (and it is thick too). I could have scrapped it for a hefty profit.

So anyway sometimes treasure like this pop up and they're worth checking out.

Good luck!

Well, I pulled the trigger last week on this guy...

https://www.costco.com/KitchenAid-8-burner-Grill.product.100235006.html

Impressed so far!

Congrats Doug. Let me know how the KitchenAid works out for you. I'm considering a similar model sold at Home Depot, although I need a built-in to replace my Jenn-Air (more on that in a future post).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenAid-4-Burner-Built-in-Propane-Gas-Island-Grill-Head-in-Stainless-Steel-with-Searing-Main-Burner-and-Rotisserie-Burner-740-0781/204268053

Thanks,

Dan

Be mindful those cooking grids are really NOT stainless steel but wrapped. Meaning they are plain steel or iron internally. With a thin veneer of stainless outside. They have a tendency to literally explode. As the steel internally corrodes (and it will) eventually the covering splits. Sometimes slowly but many times with a "BANG". I'd be VERY careful dropping that kind of coin on those

I had that type on my members mark grill. They never exploded. They did split open after about 5 years. I replaced them with solid stainless after that.