goosta

New Build in Texas

I've been researching BBQ islands for a while now and am excited to get started soon. We are having a new patio extension being poured first, then a pergola, then I can start on the outdoor kitchen. After many design iterations in SketchUp, I think we've finally got a winner! Still haven't decided on finishing materials - probably tile countertop and stucco sides with the bar side finished in stone veneer. Would like to do more stone, but would be hard to fit in the budget.

Planning on a 32" Blaze grill (even though the grill in the rendering is a Delta Heat). The two cut out areas will house a 36" Blackstone Griddle and a Blackstone Pizza Oven. Everything will be running on propane and I'm hoping to fit a 40lb. bottle inside the bar section (next to the grill).

I've found so much helpful information and ideas on the forums here!

post-29179-0-50178000-1494619609_thumb.jpg

post-29179-0-76905100-1494619610_thumb.jpg

Make sure your propane bottle is in a separate/isolated space and has 2ea 20 sq" openings, high and low.

I'm finally getting ready to start building soon but I still have a few issues to work out. During my research, I have found conflicting information on tile countertops. Some say 1/2" HB is fine, others say two layers of 1/2" HB is good, or I've seen that you must use a plywood base with HB on top. For budget reasons, I'd prefer the first option of just one layer of 1/2" HB, but I don't want to end up with major issues down the line. Any thoughts on this? Does it depend on the location? I'm in Central Texas.

Thanks!

What are you going to cover it with? With granite, you don't need more than 1/4". Mine is granite and survived a crane lift over our new home after being moved on a trailer 20 miles. It is now 18 years old.

Tile is another problem, for this I would use 1/2" and I would NEVER use wood in any outdoor Island. Wood expands and contracts with temperature and moisture. Fine if granite, terminal if tile. The grout will eventually fail.

Your choice of course but I would consider a larger tile. Smaller tiles mean more grout joints to possibly fail over time. I learned that the hard way before I took them off and went to granite.

Thanks for the tip - that is a good point. The only thing I don't like with some of the larger tile is it kind of looks like a floor on a countertop to me (if that makes any sense...). Maybe I just need to find better design ideas. Would love to do granite but that's way beyond my budget unfortunately.

I have seen some creative tile work using both large and smaller ones. Areas where you might set a pan or plate are likely to be central to a surface. You might consider options. Just plain tile is pretty boring. Think outside the box, you might impress yourself in the end.

Thanks, yeah I will do some additional searching and see what I can come up with. I'm assuming it's preferable to have your tile layout figured out before building so that can dictate the top dimensions (to help with less cuts, etc...).

I changed some things around since my first post, so I'm including a few updated renderings. The tile in the picture is just a generic tile texture.

bbq3.jpg

bbq2.jpg

bbq1.jpg

Looks good, it appears as though you are a careful planner/designer. Post photos as you build please. I see 5 places for a large tile and if I were doing it they would be at a 45 degree angle. A bit more work but the rewards are great! 

Thanks! Do you have an image of an example you could post? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing.

Also, just to clarify - do you think I'd be okay with one layer of 1/2" HardieBacker? Maybe with some extra support from my studs in places that need it.

Something like this. As for the HB, if you have good support underneath I would use 1.

floor-tile-pattern.jpg