Links

Faux BBQ island/wall from a rolling NG grill?

Given the high cost components of custom islands we're looking at alternative solutions. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Use a store bought grill - build two flanking box frames on either side (see attached pic) - which allow it to roll into place with a fairly tight fit. The inner wall of the frames wouldn't even need a panel, thus leaving it open air to the entire inside. This is intended to go up against a pre-plumbed wall (see pic) measuring just under 8' long. The gap on the diagram behind is due to a NG pipe and the lid clearance - which would require space anyway unless maybe doing fully built-in. If it looks bad because it doesn't go all the way back flush to the wall, we could add a small metal grate/grille and/or backsplash to fill it.

Originally, my thought was to remove the side "wings" from one of these grills to make an even tighter fit - but I started to think they are probably designed with the wings for heat dissipation clearances - so probably best not to fully enclose one. They don't seem to make these types of grills without the wings.

I searched and searched online but couldn't find anyone doing this oddly enough. It seems so simple - just build a surround and slide it in - so why not?

We do not want a built in fridge or other things. Just counter. The sink can be stand alone. Or countertop.... The wall behind is cinder block/stucco - there is ventilation above, and the whole area is under cover. Stuccoing the counter/wall base to match would be easy.

post-29348-0-61624300-1496317443_thumb.png

post-29348-0-28785700-1496317468_thumb.jpg

I see no issue with taking off the shelves (wings). You will be ventilated to the back, Are their vents on the sides?

It would not look much different than this:

https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-grills-smokers/gas-grills?ff2=1999&ff5=326

You need to make sure you build it with steel studs and keep combustible materials away from the sides. you may want a small air gap on each side for ventilation.

Thanks - most all of these units do have side vents from what I've seen. A lot of them have the shelves built in to the body - but the link photo you posted is exactly what I envisioned - just working around the ventilation and side shelves/wings.

The form factor with big chunky shelves is probably easiest to build something around. (see attached pics) Not necessarily these - but similar.

Of course the surrounds can be made of hardi board. I built a hardi board island with built in grill back in the 90s and used aluminum angle iron and a pop rivet gun for the entire frame and box as a single unit. It was simple and easy. Clamp, drill holes, and pop! These days I'd rather just buy something that's plug-n-play but can't find anything reasonable that's a built in look but runs on NG and is delivered.

post-29348-0-09050400-1496371799_thumb.jpg

post-29348-0-44717300-1496371904_thumb.jpeg

and if you keep the side shelves, you may be able to keep a side burner