tlhfirelion

Which way to go with 2004 Jenn Air 720-0062 LP, repair or....

Hello everyone, new guy here.  I had a friend give me the above mentioned grill when he moved but it does need new burners.  It appears to be in really good condition inside and the stainless on the outside, but aside from that I don't know about any other internal parts.  The burners are rusted so bad they are falling apart with rust so I've removed those, pressure washed it, and leaf blower dried it.  lol.  Some stainless polish made it shine. 

Now i'm not a hardcore BBQ'er, I just grill burgers, steaks, and chicken breasts from time to time but no rotisserie or anything like that.  I had been saving up for a new Weber but now I'm presented with the pickle of buying a new grill or the parts to fix this Jenn Air. 

Ive never restored a grill but I'm handy so I'm confident I can replace a few grill parts.  How much those parts cost on the other hand plus a good cover is where I'm unsure.  

If should just try and sell the grill I could put it towards a new Weber (just the base model, not the big daddy) thats fine, but if I can get this thing fired up for a hundred bucks or so, it might be worth going that route.  

Those of you that are familiar with the ins and outs of the Jenn Airs can hopefully shed some light on what I might need to look at parts wise aside from the burners and maybe tell me where I would be best served to get the parts I would need.  

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.  

Why not look into the burners (and whatever other parts are in need) before making the judgement. IIRC those older models you have were all 304SS and pretty decent products. Bear in mind all the new Weber stuff is made in China and most likely no better than what you now have. IMO why drop the high coin Weber demands for Made in China when you likely have something as good or better for free?

4 hours ago, underthehood said:

Why not look into the burners (and whatever other parts are in need) before making the judgement. IIRC those older models you have were all 304SS and pretty decent products. Bear in mind all the new Weber stuff is made in China and most likely no better than what you now have. IMO why drop the high coin Weber demands for Made in China when you likely have something as good or better for free?

My first reply didn't go thru for some reason so I'll try again.  Thank you for your reply.  It seems the main issue is what parts I will need to replace, aside from the burners.  If I'm going to go down a rabbit hole of sorts where I end up spending 3/4 of the cost of a new (yes from china) grill on parts/quality cover for a 13 year old grill, is that worth it?  I don' know the answer to that question.  I don't know where is the best place to buy parts either, amazon?  I'm a big fan of stainless still parts so I'd hope to be able to replace the cast iron burners with ss if possible.  Thank you for your reply.  

Firelion,

I faced nearly exact same problem multiple times with different grills. My Charbroil and Thermos LP BBQs lasted less than three years, so I started doing homework. Many said there were better grills, but most recommended the Weber because with minimum care it will last nearly forever, cooks consistently, requires almost no maintenance, and when maintenance is required, parts and support are readily available. At Lowe's they had a killer deal with delivery and setup on an aircraft carrier sized Jenn Air with even better features than the best Weber for a cost well below the Weber I could afford. My on-line checking showed there were lots of strong supporters, so the Jenn Air came home. Other than stainless cabinet rust it worked well until year three then the burners rust, igniter failed, the LP regulator failed, and rotisserie failed. Sourcing parts proved near impossible until I found sources shared here. I upgraded my Jenn Air going with upgraded bullet proof brass burners and other improvements at a huge expense, only to find after finishing Jenn Air admitted they had big problems and offered free replacement parts. Regardless, my BBQ worked well again. Soon after I was drafted to cook for almost a hundred people on a friend's Weber Genesis LP grill. I  kept a pot going on the side burner with my special pork and beans, with brown sugar, ketchup, a touch of mustard and bacon. All were fed well and I became a turncoat. The following week I got rid of my Jenn Air and ordered up a new Weber Genesis Silver with side burner, rotisserie and cover. I've been using this same grill steadily now for more than ten years. My total cost to keep it going was an unneeded but desired upgrade to stainless steel grates and replacement of the enameled "flavorizer bars" with stainless. Its thermometer will be next as it is a few degrees off. Given none of my prior LP grills ever lasted more than three years, nothing but kudos here for the Weber. Mine is still solidly at work. From the Friday before through Father's day I've BBQed three big meals feeding at least forty plus friends and family. Good luck to you. 

7 minutes ago, Bill Pentz said:

Firelion,

I faced nearly exact same problem multiple times with different grills. My Charbroil and Thermos LP BBQs lasted less than three years, so I started doing homework. Many said there were better grills, but most recommended the Weber because with minimum care it will last nearly forever, cooks consistently, requires almost no maintenance, and when maintenance is required, parts and support are readily available. At Lowe's they had a killer deal with delivery and setup on an aircraft carrier sized Jenn Air with even better features than the best Weber for a cost well below the Weber I could afford. My on-line checking showed there were lots of strong supporters, so the Jenn Air came home. Other than stainless cabinet rust it worked well until year three then the burners rust, igniter failed, the LP regulator failed, and rotisserie failed. Sourcing parts proved near impossible until I found sources shared here. I upgraded my Jenn Air going with upgraded bullet proof brass burners and other improvements at a huge expense, only to find after finishing Jenn Air admitted they had big problems and offered free replacement parts. Regardless, my BBQ worked well again. Soon after I was drafted to cook for almost a hundred people on a friend's Weber Genesis LP grill. I  kept a pot going on the side burner with my special pork and beans, with brown sugar, ketchup, a touch of mustard and bacon. All were fed well and I became a turncoat. The following week I got rid of my Jenn Air and ordered up a new Weber Genesis Silver with side burner, rotisserie and cover. I've been using this same grill steadily now for more than ten years. My total cost to keep it going was an unneeded but desired upgrade to stainless steel grates and replacement of the enameled "flavorizer bars" with stainless. Its thermometer will be next as it is a few degrees off. Given none of my prior LP grills ever lasted more than three years, nothing but kudos here for the Weber. Mine is still solidly at work. From the Friday before through Father's day I've BBQed three big meals feeding at least forty plus friends and family. Good luck to you. 

Great post, thank you for taking the time to reply.  Your issues with the jean air aside, I can't count how many rave reviews I've heard about weber and their longevity, their cooking ability and ease of finding parts when they may be needed.  I was totally on the fence but finding parts is proving to be difficult, or at least affordable parts.  

I guess my question now is what do I ask for it price wise on craigslist?  I know nothing about Jenn Air.  $300 too much?  $250?  I'm spitballing here. 

Keep in mind that the Webers people were raving about were "true" Webers. Weber is no longer the Weber we used to see. They sold out to Black & Decker. All they are now is a name/marketing shill for Chinese made products (same as Black & Decker). Seems anything that company touches goes down the toilet. Old Weber = fantastic product. Well made, long lasting and so on. New Weber all you're buying is a Chinese product with a premium warranty package but even that is slipping.

Not sure (OP) why you are having a hard time figuring out what you may/may not need for that JennAir or the costs. If the grill is all stainless "steel" (not still lol) that it seems going to some premium parts should yield you a pretty respectable grill for FAR less than a new Weber will cost you. These days the entry level into the Genesis line is close to $1000. Not a Weber fan any more. They lost me for a number of different reasons.

1. Their vaunted warranty. They did not stand behind my own Summit. When I had fire box rust issues I contacted them. Wanting to buy the part. "Oh wait you're under warranty yet" "We will have that right out to you" Next contact, "oh we're so sorry we no longer have that part or make it". Me "so how do you not support your own product that is under warranty?" Bottom line the best they (Weber) would do offer me a 10% discount on a new Genesis Big effin deal!

2. They have sold their souls to the devil (the Chinese made gods). The grills are cheaply made and EXPENSIVE. Frankly all they've done is cut quality dumped tons of people here out of jobs and raised their prices. I don't like to do business with pretenders.

Bottom line I'll bet if you look up a guy on Ebay (RCPlanebuyer) he makes very high quality replacement parts for different grills at reasonable pieces. Arguably so good they'll be the last ones you will ever need to buy

Good luck

I know when I was looking for parts, there are places like grillparts.com and grill-parts.com.  I was rebuilding a grill for my son and started looking at amazon.  The prices were much less, and since I had prime, the shipping was free. Long story short, if you are trying to decide whether it is worth it or not, check amazon for part prices, they blow everyone elst out of the park.  Many are chinese parts,  but so are the oem parts.

One last option is to look at craigslist for an older weber.  Well made, and the parts are inexpensive on amazon from non oem manufacturers.  You would end up with a better grill at a lower price than the new Weber grills.

Thank you to everyone for their feedback.  I found the parts on amazon for under $80 out the door.  Thats only cast burners and stainless heat shields so I hope nothing else needs to be replaced.  If not, it was the smart play.  I'll try and find a good cover to make it last and maybe have $100 or so buck invested in it.  If anyone has any suggestions on what brand of cover to get, I'm all ears.  Thanks again for your help!

I bought a Ravenna Gas grill cover from Amazon last year and it is still in good shape.  It is a heavy duty canvas one.  Post a picture when you are done!

24 minutes ago, bten said:

I bought a Ravenna Gas grill cover from Amazon last year and it is still in good shape.  It is a heavy duty canvas one.  Post a picture when you are done!

I found a nice cover, burners and heat shields and they're all ordered so we are good go!  I keep trying to get more info on the mods that were talked about on here for the older Jenn-Airs like the heat shield mod and the divider mod but none of the pics will load.  I'm gonna turn this thing into a meat making machine!  lol  

Well everything was installed and a new tank of LP and I'm back to grilling! :)  Thanks to everyone for the feedback. it's been a long time since we had a working grill so we've been cooking on it every night.  Man how I missed the taste or grilled meat!  *DROOL*