Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

wakebdr

730-0164 - can i replace the grill "box" ?

7 posts in this topic

My 12 year old 730-0164 is in pretty bad shape.  The outside of the grill is flawless and I just replaced all burners, flame tamers, and cooking grids with warranty parts.  However, the inside of the grill is falling apart.  In fact, the bottom of the grill or fire "box" (I don't know the proper name) has a hole about the size of a softball in it.  Is it possible to replace that part?  There are other parts that are falling apart (top rack holder, igniter guards, etc.) but I can do without those if I can fix the main part of the grill.  If not, then I guess I'm in the market for a new grill. :)

Here's what the inside looks like: https://goo.gl/photos/fdJ6orVkWCS96WGp6

Edited by wakebdr
added image

Looks like it is a lost cause if that is welded in.  You might want to try and find one on Craigslist and see if you can turn 2 into 1.  Otherwise, I think it is time for a new grill.

1 hour ago, bten said:

Looks like it is a lost cause if that is welded in.  You might want to try and find one on Craigslist and see if you can turn 2 into 1.  Otherwise, I think it is time for a new grill.

It was just tack welded at the four corners, but those connections have come undone also.  I'm wondering if I can just get a piece of stainless steel from a machine shop and just put it in the bottom of the box?  I just got the other warranty parts so maybe I'll give customer service a call and ask them about this also.

You might be able to also find a stainless piece from Home depot.  They sell some sheet stock.  you can just pilot drill the holes where the tack welds were, and use stainless sheet metal screws to attach a sheet.

Wow, that is a lot of damage.. isn't that piece bent in the middle?? What bten suggested would work for you, you would just need to give the sheet a slight crease in order to lay uniform on top of the old piece.. post an updated pic if it turns out ok.

Glad to hear they are still honoring the warranty parts, I just put in my back up burners & shields myself - might give them a call to see if I can get a few more years out of this thing.. the best grill I've ever owned..

I had two different models of JA (2005 and 2008) and both had firebox failures.  Nexgrill did not have replacements for either grills back then just 2 years after each model was new.  You will probably have to fix it on your own.

Just like Weber too. They left me high and dry with a failed cook box on my Summit even though it was under warranty.