Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Sign in to follow this  
turtle

New Summit in 2018?

8 posts in this topic

I'd like to upgrade to a summit, but noticed that they have several updates on the genesis 2 this year (new burner design, igrill 3, etc) but the summit hasn't been revised in several years.

Has anyone heard if or when they will have a new Summit with the updated components?   If it's 2018 I think I can manage with my existing  grill till them.

I'd be very mindful of many things in a so called upgrade to the line. The Genesis "upgrade" IMO was more downgrade. Yeah sure you can get lighted knobs, and 6 burner models. But mind that Weber was bought out by Black & Decker who will notoriously cheapen and degrade everything they touch. Witness Stanley and Snap On companies and so on. They'll be shifting everything to China as they have with the Genesis line. I'll bet $$$$ to donuts you will soon see a very similar B&D grill being produced at a much lower price point but nearly identical to product(s) with a Weber name plate

I didn't know about B&D buying Weber, but I completely agree with your assessment, hood.  I've looked closely at the "upgraded" new Genesis and see nothing at all to tempt me to switch out my Genny.  The new models are cheap all around and I don't see the design improvements the Genesis got in 2012 that led me to switch out my two-year-old three burner.  I've always been happy with that upgrade and think any Summit "upgrade" would NOT be advisable.  

Frankly turtle, given the B&D purchase, I would be more inclined to find me a "traditional" Summit and secure it while possible.  Haste may be a good thing -- my attempt to look at a 670 at Lowe's returned a "no longer available at Lowe's".  I could be tempted with a sale price, but frankly my upgraded Genesis with side cabinets, double tier grill and rotisserie has been so good over these years, that even a 670 almost seems a downgrade!  

Hood, do you a link about B & D acquiring Weber?  Thanks!

I agree with "Underthehood and Richs" assesment concerning Weber products. My own opinion is their products were diminished as far back as 2010.

I remember 98 or so when I bought my Genesis I looked long and hard at the Summit. Built like a tank, however cost diff between the Summit and Genesis was a bit more than I wanted to spend at that time after factoring in beer consumption.

Fast forward to 2010 got the green light to buy a Summit. Before my wife could change her mind I was off to the local Ace Hardware. Walked around the Summit and could not believe how cheaply made it was. Doors did not align on the cart, had hideous red flames on gas nobs etc. Leaned up against the grill and about launched it into the parking lot. Made my mind up that I would just hang onto my Genesis 3000 and continue my grill search and ultimately went in a different direction.

I am sure if you bought a Summit you would be happy with it. However there are other options at that price point that make more sense in my opinion which means absolutely nothing.

I came across it looking at some business reports but truly I forgot where I found it. It's not truly B&D per se' but the management company that runs B&D. IIRC it may be Cerberus but I did not dig that deep. Cerberus is a company that comes in and bundles companies for the auction block. Recently 2 big names they handled were Home Depot and Chrysler (just before FIAT took it over)

I came across some article in a chicago business report on it. However they want to strong arm me for $5 to read it.

However the snippet I could read for free said BDT Capital aquired majority ownership in 2010.

Thanks, guys.  I thought it just happened.  I also  agree. Weber ain't what it used, for gassers anyway.  My WSM is awesome, however.