Sign in to follow this  
runbikeswimfly

Smoked chicken: to oil or not to oil?

Hey folks,

I've been smoking beef and pork for years and have never oiled my meat before putting it on my smoker, because I thought it would keep the smoke from penetrating the meat. But I'm smoking a chicken for the first time and wondering if I should oil it first. Most of the online recipes I've seen say to rub the chicken with oil before you smoke it. Should I oil the chicken to keep it from drying out or should I not oil it to make sure the oil doesn't block the smoke flavor from penetrating the skin and meat? What do you guys do? I really want it to taste like smoke, not just like it's been in the oven. Thanks everybody.

Jim

It's my understanding that oil helps smoke adhere to it

16 hours ago, runbikeswimfly said:

Hey folks,

I've been smoking beef and pork for years and have never oiled my meat before putting it on my smoker, because I thought it would keep the smoke from penetrating the meat. But I'm smoking a chicken for the first time and wondering if I should oil it first. Most of the online recipes I've seen say to rub the chicken with oil before you smoke it. Should I oil the chicken to keep it from drying out or should I not oil it to make sure the oil doesn't block the smoke flavor from penetrating the skin and meat? What do you guys do? I really want it to taste like smoke, not just like it's been in the oven. Thanks everybody.

Jim

What kind of smoker are you using? I've been smoking meats for 30 or so years and have never used oil on anything. Also, what kind of chicken are you using and what temp?

RE:smoking a chicken.  I recommend spatchcocking it (or at least cut in half).  Also, low and slow won't do it.  Chicken needs 300-325 degrees for the skin.  Anything lower will yield rubbery skin.  Interesting thread here about using mayo as a slather:  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32160

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Also, low and slow won't do it.  Chicken needs 300-325 degrees for the skin.  Anything lower will yield rubbery skin.

Good point on the skin there, I always use a high heat smoke on chicken, I usually go 325-350...