Sign in to follow this  
DBAlaska

Jenn Air BBQ grill wont get hot

I just bought a used Jenn Air Natural Gas grill and I can't get it over 500 degrees. I bought brand new burners. There is a regulator inside the grill. I have not adjusted it. Any suggestions?

Are you sure it is not set up for propane.  Check the nameplate.  

My understanding is that some of those models have enough "ventilation" that they do not get over 500. If it has a built in regulator then it most definitely is a NG grill. For your safety LEAVE THE REGULATOR ALONE btw. I cannot stress that enough. From what I have read on some old forums those grills will burn through or melt down if you try to modify them hotter. Also the thermometer itself may be faulty. Bottom line I think your grill is operating as designed

I agree with Underthehood.  If you have an oven thermometer, you may want to put it inside the grill and check the temperature.  The thermometers on the top of most grills are very inaccurate. I use a Maverick model 732 to watch both my grate temp and food temp.

500 degrees is pretty damn hot. If it is one of the stainless ones then there is a lot of metal that conducts heat, but if it really is getting to 500 then that should cook anything you want quite well...

Thanks for the help. I use to cook on a Primo grill and they get up to 700 degrees. I'll try the oven thermometer, that's a good idea. It does have a regulator and it is a Natural Gas grill.

Thanks again.

Honestly there is hot and there is HOT. There really is no need for 700. In a grill all that heat is coming from underneath and if you try to sear say a steak at that you get instant inferno. Even on my old Summit 450 the temp gauge never really gets higher than 450 to 475 or so and I can get my steaks good and crusty with a rare interior.