Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bakes

Places to get BBQ on the Road

46 posts in this topic

The shed

7501 Hwy 57. Ocean Springs, MS 39565.

P # 228-875-9590

http://www.theshedbbq.com/

Tkeiy,

This has to be one of the coolest websites I have ever seen for a Q place, or any place for that matter. Very nice job, who ever designed it.

Thanks for sharing,

Eric D :(

Tkeiy,

This has to be one of the coolest websites I have ever seen for a Q place, or any place for that matter. Very nice job, who ever designed it.

Thanks for sharing,

Eric D B)

That is my favorite place to eat, as a matter of fact im stopping by Thursday night in route to Gulfport and pick up a few slabs of ribs. The guy that ownes it is my age 30'ish and just wanted to sell great BBQ and listen to the blues. It has become a Mississippi landmark, Katrina put 5' of water into it but they had it back up and running in three weeks. You can see teh story on Food Network showing teh BBQ compitition in Mobile. they did not win but usually good BBQ is not a contest winner

I am new here and have enjoyed BBQing for as long as I remember. I have eaten at several places that claim to be the best and have eaten at what many consider the best and was surpried wasn't mentioned here. Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City, among hte Tri Cities in Tennessee. A Quaint little joint where you will always stand in line and always be very pleased. A number of other places have been good but none touch Ridgewood, claimed by many like Southern Homes & Garden as the #1 BBQ joint in the country. Go simple get a sandwich, with the slaw and fries and you will have more than you can eat, of course top off with beans and a cobbler to go with the sweet tea and you will never have any better.

There is also a little joint in Tulsa Oklahoma called Stutts on the north side of town. It looks like a dump but the bbq, beans, and either sweet potatoe pie or buttermilk pie is out of this world. Only place I have ever eaten at that comes close in any way to Ridgewood. Sad thing is, regarding Stutts, many even in Tulsa don't know it exists since it is on the North side of the tracks and a part of town many folks don't frequent. That is sad as everytime I am in Tulsa I eat there and have taken people there from all over the country. Besides that, Mamma Stutt knows us and gives my son a free meal when we are there. It is just that kind of place. I live in Wichita KS now and will tell you, even KC doesn't compare to that in Tulsa and back home in upper East Tennessee.

The Twin Anchors Saloon

Corner of Sedgewick and Eugenie

Old Town, Chicago

Not only are their ribs to die for, but they've got one of the best juke boxes in the world (if you're a Rat Pack fan). This was Sinatra's favorite rib joint and their walls are adorned with pictures of him and the owners. The Twin Anchors is an outstanding experience from beginning to end. Go early or be prepared to stand in line. They will take a reservation for parties larger than six, I believe.

I recently visited Ventura, California, and happened upon a small barbecue establishment called "It's in the Sauce." My tri-tip steak sandwich was wonderful...even though I generally like my meat without sauce on it. Yes, they do have a nice red barbecue sauce.

I'd eat there again, in case I go through Ventura again. Judging by the line-up of patrons, the place is highly regarded. It's a take-out, not a sit-down restaurant.

Having searched for this business via internet, I can see that there are at least three of them. So we're talking about some kind of chain, here. :lol:

It's in the Sauce B-B-Q

2050 East Main Street, Ventura, CA 93001

Its In The Sauce BBQ No. 2

1661 Pacifc Avenue, Oxnard, CA 93033

It's In The Sauce Bbq Sandwich Shop

7606 Fallbrook Avenue, Canoga Park, CA 91304

It's In The Sauce Bbq - Corporation Office

1661 Pacific Avenue, Oxnard, CA 93033

http://www.itsinthesaucebbq.com

Now, without a doubt, the most memorable barbecue restaurant dates back to 2001... and before. Bear in mind I was never one to cruise the countryside, looking for barbecue restaurants. This one jumped out at me, as I happened to be driving by just at the right time... about 11 AM on a Sunday, just when they were firing up the huge outdoor pit.

The Old Country Deli, at 600 Marsh Street, in San Luis Obispo 93401 (quite close to the center of downtown in this charming college town)

phone: (805) 541-2968

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/profile~...3D%3D~lbp_1.htm

The last time I was there was in Spring of 2001. BBQ operated only Thurs-Sunday. Give a call, for the current policies.

Awesome chicken!

Fun!

Impressive, just to watch the scale of this operation. :lol:

Though I seem to recall eating in my vehicle...for some reason that I cannot recall.

UPDATE.

Now that it's daylight, I called the number for this establishment. It apologized and referred me to a website. Seems that Old Country's been out of business for a few months, seeking a new place. I hope and trust they will re-establish themselves. They're worth the wait!

http://www.oldcountrydeli.net/

Outside Charleston, WV we used to have two places that served good BBQ.

My favorite [now closed] was Andy's in Institute, across the street from WV State University. It was opened in the 60's and was a family run place for over 45 years.

Andy would line up 4-7 Weber Kettles next to the road, fire them up before dawn, and cook ribs, sausage and brisket all day long at the edge of the highway. Andy would cook, and his wife would make the "fixins" and make up the plates. She made the best potatoe salad also. When you pulled in the parking area, Andy would always talk to you as he was watching his Weber grills.

His business was a bit of a legend in the Kanawha Valley ... Hmmmm His style of BBQ was very distinct ... not Carolina style or Texas style ... a true WV style of BBQ. His wife also made the best "greens" ... collard, beet, turnip, ramps, fixed with pork and bacon fat ... wonderful, I could make a full meal of just greens!

His son ran it for a couple of years after his dad's death, but it wasn't the same.

The second is Porker's ... In Cross Lanes. This is also a family run place ... he has the smokers and grills set up in his front parking lot, along with an old fire truck ... he has a portable BBQ business, and pulls the rig with the antique fire truck. Porker's is the closest BBQ to Texas BBQ I've had in the east. Good, but not nearly as good as some of the mom n' pop places I've eaten at in Texas.

Billy Goat in WV

Now, bear in mind I'm not so well traveled (New England, Midatlantic - Nova Scotia north and only south as far as West Virginia), but I didn't have to go far to enjoy one of Jersey's best barbecue houses. Located in Point Pleasant (mouth of the Intercontinental Waterway - a connection of canals, rivers and bays that boaters could sail from NJ to Florida without going out to the Atlantic Ocean), was a place named the "Southern House", they had an unbelievable reputation, people came from several states around to partake of their wonderful BBQ menu. Their ribs were out of this world! Babybacks were the house speciality, along with their homemade sauce, even the Queen of England would have been licking her fingers on these most delectable of the best! Most people would buy a "bucket", enough for six (though often devoured by one or two hearty men, myself included) along with an extra pint of bbq sauce to saturate these "fall off the bone", mouthwatering, delicious tender morsels! Unfortunately, a kitchen fire destroyed the establishment a couple of years ago, much to the chagrin of thousands (myself included). So far, the land still stands vacant, the future is still up in the air as to whether it will be rebuilt or not.

Still, we also have another, possibly just as infamous, also sharing a rep that draws from hundreds of miles away, another favorite of mine, Big Ed's Barbecue, located on Rt34 in Matawan, NJ. A laid back establishment, wooden tables with wooden benches, it boasts a mix of the worlds best babybacks and St. Louis style spareribs. An all you can eat menu priced very modestly, nobody leaves hungry. On the contrary, bellies are bursting, terrific ribs, home fried skin on potatoes and over 100 different beers will satisfy most peoples hunger. An hours ride away, NY City sends its denizens out by the carload to consume the hearty fare offered by this restaraunt, including many celebrities on a weekly basis.

Now, tonight I'm not patronizing any BBQ restaraunt, on the contrary, as I type, there is a eight pound rack of spareribs slowly smoking its way to completion on my own wonderful grill, tantalizing many a neighbor with its aromatic scent of smoking hickory chips lending their sweetness to the sugary blend of molassas, Tennessee whiskey, paprika and extra virgin olive oil lightly swabbed on the upper side of this huge rack as it is slowly making its transition into a fall off the bone, tender, fingerlickin' mouthwatering specialty of mine, four and one half hours of agonizing wait for it to be placed on my plate! Photos < http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...amp;#entry12719

of this piece of Heaven will be posted a bit later including a modification http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/i...amp;#entry12721 I made to raise and hold the rack five inches above the stock cooking grid. UMMMMMM!! Mike

Kansas City

Gates&Sons, Smokestack, Arthur Bryants, Rosedale, Quicks 7th St.

Memphis

Interstate, Rendevous

Spokane

Longhorn

What he said about Kansas CIty be add: Sam Fiorelli "Jack Stacks", and for sure Masterpiece on the south side.

I hosted my son's wedding rehearsal dinner at Jack Stack's. Everyone seemed to love it.

Dropped a couple grand there - sheeesssh....

I agree with Jack Stack's in the KC area. Love their lamb ribs with a side of cheesy corn. Last time I was there in March on a business trip I ate there twice in 4 days! Just can't get enough. Good thing I didn't get my cholesterol checked that week!

I agree with Jack Stack's in the KC area. Love their lamb ribs with a side of cheesy corn. Last time I was there in March on a business trip I ate there twice in 4 days! Just can't get enough. Good thing I didn't get my cholesterol checked that week!

You are right. My son's Mother in law insisted we make sure the Cheesy Corn was on the menu for the night. It IS good. I understand their steaks are great too. But I could not afford to buy that for the whole wedding party.

I think the thing I find remarkable about Kansas City BBQ is there are so many different styles and every one seems to have it's own fans. I am not someone who lives for BBQ - I do like it a lot though. But I am more of griller - like seared stuff - burnt to you folks in Rio Linda. I'd just as soon spend my money in KC at Plaza III or Hereford House (block away from my old work) for a good Porterhouse steak. But BBQ is still a really important part of KC and it shows.

When I was a buyer for Western Auto a Father and Son manufacturer's rep "team" took me to lunch at the Rosedale BBQ on Southwest traffic way (I think - past Boulevard beer now). I told them anywhere was fine - I wasn't picky when someone was treating me. That Gates or Bryants (pretty hot there too) or what ever they liked that was reasonably close was fine. They said they kinda liked the sauce there....................

I should have seen it coming when they both asked for their own bottle of the extra hot sauce. They both had suits on. And they proceeded to start emptying their sauce bottles on their lunch. About 1/3 of the way thru their meal they both broke out in a sweat that looked like something from a World Wide Wrestling match! Son took his coat off and loosened his tie. Dad sat there trying to look all professional and all. Sweat just rolling down their faces. Rivers of it - no kidding! It was not even summer.

Holy cow! What was it doing to their insides? I'll never forget it. That was almost 30 years ago. Remember it like yesterday.

Leatha's

6374 U S Highway 98

Hattiesburg, MS 39402

Hands down you won't find better down home Q anywhere.

I travel a bit with my job and a couple of years ago we were going to Oxnard CA. I like to review the website for Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and see if any of the places are close to where we're traveling. I found one called Baby Blues BBQ in Venice and we decided to try it. They had some of the best BBQ I've found in a Restaurant. Their beef ribs were excellent. Tender with a very good flavor. The pork ribs were tender, but they weren't over cooked. My co-workers also liked the pulled pork, chicken and brisket. We stop there every time we fly into LAX (about 6 or 7 times over the last 2 years). They serve their food dry with some pretty good sauces on the side. Their sides are imaginative and all done very well. My favorites are:

Collard Greens

Creamed Spinach (fresh spinach)

Sauteed okra with smoked/stewed tomatoes.

My Co-workers also enjoyed the beans, slaw and mac and cheese.

I highly recommend it.

http://babybluesvenice.com/#/home

Baby Blues

444 Lincoln Blvd.

Venice, CA

If you're in the Jacksonville, FL area Bono's BBQ is the place to go.

https://bonosbarbq.com/

I've been going to different locations over the past 40 years and all of them have been good. One of the things I like about them is they cook over an open pit behind the bar in the front of the restaurant. If you sit at the bar you can see them pull the meat off the grill and cut it for your order as you watch. Their pork is juicy and will cut it in chunks if you like (my favorite way). They also have pretty good pulled pork if that's the way you like it. The ribs are well cooked and tender, not mushy. They use a combination of white oak and hickory that's just right. Their sauce is service on the side and doesn't hide the flavor of the meat. The sides are typical for a BBQ place and are flavorful.

I go to a Bono's every time I'm in FL.

There are too many locations to list, but you can see them all, with a copy of their menu, on their website.

I've been to The Shed and it was OK. I gave them two chances but it wasn't really up to my standards. (I admit I'm a BBQ Snob though).

A little story.

Three years ago I took a job in the Virginia Beach area and hadn't lived there in 20 years. So, to try some good BBQ places I did an internet search. I found a place in Hampton Virginia called Q Barbecue and decided to give it a try. When I got there there was nobody in the place but the door was open and I went in. I found the owner (Tuffy Stone) sitting in one of the booths going over some papers. He said they hadn't opened yet and would be getting their final inspection the next weekend and would open then. If you don't recognize the name, he has the competition team Cool Smoke and was on the first season of BBQ Pitmasters on TLC. I didn't know this at the time. As busy as he was, he took out about 15 or 20 minutes to talk Q and was a real likable guy.

I became a KCBS certified judge that year and judged competitions in MD, DE and VA. After the judging was completed I would always look up the Cool Smoke site and Tuffy would always welcome me in and spend some time shootin the bull.

I went back to Q-Barbecue when it was opened for a meal and it was delicious.

http://qbarbeque.com/home.html

As you can see from the web site there are also locations in Richmond.

A little story.

Three years ago I took a job in the Virginia Beach area and hadn't lived there in 20 years. So, to try some good BBQ places I did an internet search. I found a place in Hampton Virginia called Q Barbecue and decided to give it a try. When I got there there was nobody in the place but the door was open and I went in. I found the owner (Tuffy Stone) sitting in one of the booths going over some papers. He said they hadn't opened yet and would be getting their final inspection the next weekend and would open then. If you don't recognize the name, he has the competition team Cool Smoke and was on the first season of BBQ Pitmasters on TLC. I didn't know this at the time. As busy as he was, he took out about 15 or 20 minutes to talk Q and was a real likable guy.

I became a KCBS certified judge that year and judged competitions in MD, DE and VA. After the judging was completed I would always look up the Cool Smoke site and Tuffy would always welcome me in and spend some time shootin the bull.

I went back to Q-Barbecue when it was opened for a meal and it was delicious.

http://qbarbeque.com/home.html

As you can see from the web site there are also locations in Richmond.

Cool story Pop, I have seen him on pitmasters he does seem like a nice guy, he even turned Myron Mixon onto a brisket to compete against him with :D

jim

I can vouch for "smokin pop's" recommendation for Bono's in Jax. Lou Bono's original establishment was a wooden shack over on the south side that was always mobbed. My present favorite location in Jax is at I-10 and Lane Ave. Ate their almost daily when I flew out of Cecil. My parents lived on the West Side of Jax and I used to go pick them up ( I lived in Orange Park) and we would make the weekly pilgramge over to Bono's for supper.

Jeff