Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bakes

Places to get BBQ on the Road

46 posts in this topic

I can vouch for "smokin pop's" recommendation for Bono's in Jax. Lou Bono's original establishment was a wooden shack over on the south side that was always mobbed. My present favorite location in Jax is at I-10 and Lane Ave. Ate their almost daily when I flew out of Cecil. My parents lived on the West Side of Jax and I used to go pick them up ( I lived in Orange Park) and we would make the weekly pilgramge over to Bono's for supper.

Jeff

Jeff,

Your screen name leads me to believe you might be a fellow Nole. I too, am from Orange Park and Green Cove Springs. I started by going to the original Bono's on Atlantic Blvd. When I was stationed at NAS Jax I used to go to the one in Orange Park on US 17. They've now closed/moved that one so when I'm visiting I go to the one in Flemming Island. I now live in GA and I have a son in Tampa. When we visit we always plan on eating at the Bono's in Gainsville (gag). It's the only bright spot about that town.

BTW, I went to FSU in the early/mid 70s.

Smokin Pop,

Actually went to USNA (wayward school for boy's)and then to FSU for my Masters (meteorology). I 've been to old original shack (bilious blue paint and all)numerous times. Yes the one in OP is gone now. Will never set foot in "Hog Town" myself that just would not be right. I was at FSU in 76-77 timeframe. Have not been to the one at Flemming Island.

Were you with the P-3 bubbas out of Nas Jax? Was sad when they closed Cecil and moved everything up to Oceana.

When heading south this past winter in the M/H I stayed at Pecan Park and shot over to Bono's for supper at Lane ave. Hit it the next day for lunch enroute Miami. Will do the same again when I head north in May. During Spring Break (second week in March) will run up with my daugher to Jax on a Bono's run.

Jeff

Smokin Pop,

Actually went to USNA (wayward school for boy's)and then to FSU for my Masters (meteorology). I 've been to old original shack (bilious blue paint and all)numerous times. Yes the one in OP is gone now. Will never set foot in "Hog Town" myself that just would not be right. I was at FSU in 76-77 timeframe. Have not been to the one at Flemming Island.

Were you with the P-3 bubbas out of Nas Jax? Was sad when they closed Cecil and moved everything up to Oceana.

When heading south this past winter in the M/H I stayed at Pecan Park and shot over to Bono's for supper at Lane ave. Hit it the next day for lunch enroute Miami. Will do the same again when I head north in May. During Spring Break (second week in March) will run up with my daugher to Jax on a Bono's run.

Jeff

I graduated from FSU in 75. I was a Supply Officer in the Navy. I was stationed at the Readiness Command on NAS Jax.

I see you're in Virginia Beach, I work on Little Creek with the SeaBees.

A "Chop" I see. SeaBees are a great bunch of folks. You still active or retired. Myself I'm retired and live off Great Neck Rd. I'm actually here in the Beach until Sat and then fly back to Miami. Had a couple of med appointments, got back into Norfolk on Saturday a couple hours before the snow.

If you are still around in May maybe we can toss down a couple of cold ones and I'll fire up one of the BGE's and do some pulled pork or brisket.

Jeff

A "Chop" I see. SeaBees are a great bunch of folks. You still active or retired. Myself I'm retired and live off Great Neck Rd. I'm actually here in the Beach until Sat and then fly back to Miami. Had a couple of med appointments, got back into Norfolk on Saturday a couple hours before the snow.

If you are still around in May maybe we can toss down a couple of cold ones and I'll fire up one of the BGE's and do some pulled pork or brisket.

Jeff

I'm retired. On the Warchant BB my screen name is Navchop and has been for years.

Snow??? I had to go home to GA a couple of weeks ago because my wife was injured. I didn't know it had snowed. I should be back in a few weeks and I would love to get together.

SP,

Hope the Mrs is okay.

Snowed Saturday evening got about 1 inch of snow and freezing rain.

When I get back in May I will PM you and see what would be a good time.

Jeff

SP,

Hope the Mrs is okay.

Snowed Saturday evening got about 1 inch of snow and freezing rain.

When I get back in May I will PM you and see what would be a good time.

Jeff

Sounds good.

Memphis:

Central BBQ

(Central Ave Location)

Period.