Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

statsman

On-Line Map of Texas BBQ Joints

13 posts in this topic

This is neat, although it is far from complete. I intend to add the ones I know of to it.

http://www.communitywalk.com/texas_bbq_joints/map/145

Your typical BBQ place in Texas will have beef brisket, pork ribs, hot links (sausage), chicken, and maybe smoked turkey breast. Sauce will be on the side. Side orders will generally be beans, potato salad, cole slaw, and occasionally fried potatos or fried okra. You can usually get a pickled jalapeno pepper, too. Many places are dry.

Statsman,

It is an interesting site. I wonder if we have something like this for Michigan? Most likely not. :(

Regards,

Eric D

I thought this could be a good resource. When people have asked before about Texas BBQ on this forum, they usually get referred to the great little places out in the country where the real masters practice their craft. The problem with that is if business brings you to Austin, and you decide to drive to Taylor for a bbq dinner, you will probably find the place closed when you get there. You see, those country places usually smoke the meat in the morning, and close for the day when they run out.

This website is a good reference source for BBQ in the major cities, where visitors might actually find themselves.

Eric, that site actually allows you to publish your own maps. It would be an intgeresting project to have a few members work on publishing a nationwide BBQ joint Map...

Bluesin

Additionally,

Google has this also in a new map called my maps...

Bluesin

Google has this also in a new map called my maps...

Bluesin,

I tried the Google map search for BBQ in my area this morning. It worked fairly well, but missed a few places that I like. Maybe this is a good thing. If everyone knew where they were, maybe the service would take a hit? :lol:

Eric D

Oops, sorry, I was referring to the my maps function where you can add your own stuff to your own map and share it. From what I can tell that is what the communitywalk maps link above actually is, a user created map that people can add to, with descriptions, comments, etc.

So you would go create a map of Michigan, then start adding in the addresses of your favorite BBQ joints, and then you can share that map with others, share the login with others so they can contribute.

It looks like google does the same thing, however from my cursory look, it looked like the communitywalk one was better...

Bluesin

WOW

Texas really loves their BBQ don't they.

-=Jason=-

One trip to the orginal Luling City Market (one of those small town joints that close up when they run out) and you'll understand. :lol: I had a client down around there a few years back and I practically went there for lunch 3 times a week for about a year. I still haven't been able to quite match that brisket.....mmmm...brisket...

Huck

We were traveling from a particularly fun weekend in San Antonio when we happened to stumble onto Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, TX. Mrs. Tigerfan wanted to wait until we got back to Houston to eat, but I was hungry and not interested in waiting another 1 1/2 hours. We pulled off at Flatonia and I saw the sign for Joel's BBQ. She couldn't understand why I would want to drive out of my way for BBQ when there was a perfectly good McDonalds on our side of the Interstate. (She just doesn't get it.) Anyway, Joel's is in the back of an old gas station converted to gift shop. It is a BBQ Joint! Not a restaurant, a joint. Screen doors, picnic tables, and sweet tea. I was in heaven! You could see the smoke pouring out of the back and smell the hickory and mesquite in the air. We we getting it to go (a compromise) so I had to get something I could eat in the car. Sliced brisket sandwich with a side of potato salad fit the bill. Mrs. Tigerfan wasn't going to order anything, but I think the smells overwhelmed her and she succumbed to the chopped brisket sandwich.

My, oh my! It was good!! I even overheard her telling one of her friends on the phone how good it was. If you ever get the chance to stop there, you won't be disappointed. Nothing fancy... just good BBQ. Can't wait to go back. :)

Joel's BBQ

I-10 W at FM 609 at Exit 661

Flatonia, Texas

www.joelsbarbq.com

Tigerfan1965

We were traveling from a particularly fun weekend in San Antonio when we happened to stumble onto Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, TX. Mrs. Tigerfan wanted to wait until we got back to Houston to eat, but I was hungry and not interested in waiting another 1 1/2 hours. We pulled off at Flatonia and I saw the sign for Joel's BBQ. She couldn't understand why I would want to drive out of my way for BBQ when there was a perfectly good McDonalds on our side of the Interstate. (She just doesn't get it.) Anyway, Joel's is in the back of an old gas station converted to gift shop. It is a BBQ Joint! Not a restaurant, a joint. Screen doors, picnic tables, and sweet tea. I was in heaven! You could see the smoke pouring out of the back and smell the hickory and mesquite in the air. We we getting it to go (a compromise) so I had to get something I could eat in the car. Sliced brisket sandwich with a side of potato salad fit the bill. Mrs. Tigerfan wasn't going to order anything, but I think the smells overwhelmed her and she succumbed to the chopped brisket sandwich.

My, oh my! It was good!! I even overheard her telling one of her friends on the phone how good it was. If you ever get the chance to stop there, you won't be disappointed. Nothing fancy... just good BBQ. Can't wait to go back. :D

Joel's BBQ

I-10 W at FM 609 at Exit 661

Flatonia, Texas

www.joelsbarbq.com

Tigerfan1965

tiger,

I just checked out the site - and I'd say Joel's is my kind of place! We have a "joint" similar to this locally, called Big Ed's Barbecue, and reading up on your link reminds me a lot of Big Ed's. These places are the absolute best - no bells and whistles, limited menu, and good old homecooked meals! Thanks for the interesting post - I thoroughly enjoyed reading the link and the associated articles. <_<

Mike