Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don S

Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ Cookoff

takeahike66    0
Visit us this year, Oct 26th and 27th - We'll be pulling in on the 24th to set up. Great trip if you like small towns and whiskey.

Jack Daniels Website

jack7044_bbq_happenings.jpg

I read so many posts I forgot how to read the index. I saw the posting of this topic in August, and assumed it was held in Aug. I saw a posting by Bluesin this week that he was meeting you in Lynchburg, and could not figured out why Jack Daniels was holding two events a couple of months apart.

Good luck to your "team" and Happy Grilling!!!! :lol::lol::(:P:P Five stars for your briskits.

bluesin    0

Just a heads up, Don does not compete, he vends (sells Q) at this cookoff. The Jack Daniels is an invitational only and you have to have won at another KCBS cookoff and then also get invited in order to compete in it...

Bluesin

takeahike66    0
Just a heads up, Don does not compete, he vends (sells Q) at this cookoff. The Jack Daniels is an invitational only and you have to have won at another KCBS cookoff and then also get invited in order to compete in it...

Bluesin

Well, its the judges lost not being able to taste Don's great Q's. Maybe one day in my traveling assignment, I hope to be in tht neck of the woods to be able to taste the varieties of cooking methods. :lol:

cuskit    0
Well, its the judges lost not being able to taste Don's great Q's. Maybe one day in my traveling assignment, I hope to be in tht neck of the woods to be able to taste the varieties of cooking methods. :lol:

I'm curious. I just tried a rub purchased in Costco (Sweet Mesquite), they are now carrying a line of rubs, maybe four or five varieties. I used it last night on some back ribs, yecht! Wasted an entire dinner. I applied the rub at noon time after rinsing off the ribs and removing the membrane. Patted it over the entire rack and a half, covered and left in the refrigerater until four o'clock. Came home early from work, set up the grill for slow cook (my custom high rack, 225 temp, indirect heat with apple juice in a drip pan under the ribs. After 2-1/2 hours, started basting with maple syrup/brown sugar glaze for another half hour. All afternoon at work I had been smelling the rub on my hands, no amount of washing seemed to remove that very strong mesquite smoky smell. I had a feeling I wasn't going to like this rack, the smell was not to my liking. Yep - the ribs were way way to strong with the rub, totally objectional to both my wife and myself! We actually threw them out! I was very disappointed. Just wondering if these contests have a lot of this very strong flavor, and how popular they are? I had ordered some similar ribs in NYC at a rib house a year or so ago, it was served with just a dry rub, I hated it! But apparantly it was big, the place is always packed and long waiting lines. Is this the usual down in the Southeast and Southwest? I've never been to one of these big bbq festivals, and wondered what is the most popular rib taste?

We're going to stick to the China Reds, always sweet, more to my liking. Though I do love the molasses taste found in many of the local spots that specialize in ribs around here. I've used mesquite wood chips in my smoker, but never had that pungent smoky taste found in this Kirkland Rub. Looking at the ingredients (see second photo), I'm assuming the strong taste came from the mesquite smoke, the balance of the rub is made up of normal ingredients I use quite often (except for the demerare sugar).

Kirkland brand rub:

Curious, Mike

Abeach2bum    0

Mike,

Where did you take those pictures? Not in YOUR kitchen obviously! :lol:

I usually stay away from anything that says "robust" (spelled - this is strong stuff) and I very seldom use anything that is smokey flavor. I like to add my own smoke on the grill and can easily control the amount of flavor. I know one thing - I did a tri tip on Sunday and used some left over Jack Daniels hickory chips I had for a light smoke. Then I remembered why they were left over - makes everything taste like bacon! They will now be used in my new fireplace for show...

Thanks for the heads up on the Costco Rubs

S

cuskit    0
Mike,

Where did you take those pictures? Not in YOUR kitchen obviously! :lol:

S

My kitchen counters may be vintage, but my my bar counter is Corian! :( I purposely moved out to the bar for those photos, figured maybe no one would look at the counter instead of the rub can. But you're too observant! :lol:

One of these days I'm going to surprise you! Hee hee!

Mike

takeahike66    0
I'm curious. I just tried a rub purchased in Costco (Sweet Mesquite), they are now carrying a line of rubs, maybe four or five varieties. I used it last night on some back ribs, yecht! Wasted an entire dinner. I applied the rub at noon time after rinsing off the ribs and removing the membrane. Patted it over the entire rack and a half, covered and left in the refrigerater until four o'clock. Came home early from work, set up the grill for slow cook (my custom high rack, 225 temp, indirect heat with apple juice in a drip pan under the ribs. After 2-1/2 hours, started basting with maple syrup/brown sugar glaze for another half hour. All afternoon at work I had been smelling the rub on my hands, no amount of washing seemed to remove that very strong mesquite smoky smell. I had a feeling I wasn't going to like this rack, the smell was not to my liking. Yep - the ribs were way way to strong with the rub, totally objectional to both my wife and myself! We actually threw them out! I was very disappointed. Just wondering if these contests have a lot of this very strong flavor, and how popular they are? I had ordered some similar ribs in NYC at a rib house a year or so ago, it was served with just a dry rub, I hated it! But apparantly it was big, the place is always packed and long waiting lines. Is this the usual down in the Southeast and Southwest? I've never been to one of these big bbq festivals, and wondered what is the most popular rib taste?

We're going to stick to the China Reds, always sweet, more to my liking. Though I do love the molasses taste found in many of the local spots that specialize in ribs around here. I've used mesquite wood chips in my smoker, but never had that pungent smoky taste found in this Kirkland Rub. Looking at the ingredients (see second photo), I'm assuming the strong taste came from the mesquite smoke, the balance of the rub is made up of normal ingredients I use quite often (except for the demerare sugar).

Kirkland brand rub:

Curious, Mike

I wrote a reply last Wednesday, but it was lost during the blackout.

My bad, for not posting earlier on the Costco rubs, could have saved you time and money. One of my wife friends were staying over the week, and as a small gift, had purchased three of the rubs sold at Costco, The Nebreska Steat, Mesquite rub, and Salmon rubs. While the list of ingrediants listed were the same as the ones I would normally use, the final taste was horrible. On a set of steaks that I used the steak rub, on, I was blamed for adding some horrible secret ingrediant that ruined the taste, I tried the Mesquite rub on a brisket, and it also did not have the right taste.

I also tried tasting the rubs straight out of the bottle to see why it did not bring out the expected flavor. But my weak taste buds did not find anything unusual.

Note on wife management - :) . Now each time I do some grilling, I throw a little of each of the rubs away so it appears that I'm using the "great" rubs. Carol, stills believes I'm adding something extra to the rub to give it that strange taste. :) So now, I just make up my own as usual, and throw away a little of the Costco rub each time. :lol::lol:

cuskit    0
I wrote a reply last Wednesday, but it was lost during the blackout.

My bad, for not posting earlier on the Costco rubs, could have saved you time and money. One of my wife friends were staying over the week, and as a small gift, had purchased three of the rubs sold at Costco, The Nebreska Steat, Mesquite rub, and Salmon rubs. While the list of ingrediants listed were the same as the ones I would normally use, the final taste was horrible. On a set of steaks that I used the steak rub, on, I was blamed for adding some horrible secret ingrediant that ruined the taste, I tried the Mesquite rub on a brisket, and it also did not have the right taste.

I also tried tasting the rubs straight out of the bottle to see why it did not bring out the expected flavor. But my weak taste buds did not find anything unusual.

Note on wife management - :) . Now each time I do some grilling, I throw a little of each of the rubs away so it appears that I'm using the "great" rubs. Carol, stills believes I'm adding something extra to the rub to give it that strange taste. :) So now, I just make up my own as usual, and throw away a little of the Costco rub each time. :lol::lol:

hike,

I lost time and the ribs (thrown out), but not the bucks for the rub. I RETURNED it to Costco, explaining that it was HORRIBLE and ruined $18.00 worth of their back ribs, and wanted not only the price of the rub refunded, but also the ribs. No go - they returned the rub money, but apologized for the ribs but couldn't refund without the package. Oh well, one can only try! I did say that I would understand if I lost out on the rub since it was only a taste thing (nothing physically wrong with the can), but they happily refunded, and hoped I could find something to my liking next time. Very nice people!

On the wife management - you are very devious, my friend! But what if she (or her friends) read this post? Maybe you will be "rubbed" out! :lol:

Mike