Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cuskit

The Tong Master

Here's a nice little piece I stumbled on - amusing reading. There's a video attached. Nice British piece, I thoroughly enjoyed it, figured you'all would too!

http://www.barbecue-online.co.uk/barbecue_...tong_master.htm

Mike

Here's a nice little piece I stumbled on - amusing reading. There's a video attached. Nice British piece, I thoroughly enjoyed it, figured you'all would too!

Mike

What a wonderful, funny tale of the lure of the bbq. The video, as well, was a clever adaptation. Imagine, a woman trying to break into the bbq queue!

Thanks for finding this gem.

Shelly

What a wonderful, funny tale of the lure of the bbq. The video, as well, was a clever adaptation. Imagine, a woman trying to break into the bbq queue!

Thanks for finding this gem.

Shelly

Just another day searching aimlessly, trying to get away from the shop for a few moments (clear my head)! I laughed!

Mike

Mike

Mike:

Saw this post earlier today ... title said "Tong", but my brain saw "Thong" ... needles to say, I didn't open and read the post for fear of what I'd see. I has visions of you, a thong, your grill ... you get the picture ... not pretty at all! :lol:

Upon second look this evening, I see I was mistaken. :lol:

BG in WV

Mike:

Saw this post earlier today ... title said "Tong", but my brain saw "Thong" ... needles to say, I didn't open and read the post for fear of what I'd see. I has visions of you, a thong, your grill ... you get the picture ... not pretty at all! :o

Upon second look this evening, I see I was mistaken. :rolleyes:

BG in WV

BG,

As my wife would say - "shows where your mind is"! :lol:

Mike

It's incredible to watch professionals use tongs.

I was at Kulettos in SF a few weeks ago, and as always, I sat at the counter. The counter is within a few feet of the ovens and stovetops; it's basically in the kitchen. You can feel the heat as you watch the chefs cook the entrees.

This time there, I was amazed by the way the line cook used his tongs. Long story short, he used his tongs as an extension of his hands, to avoid cross-contamination between raw meats and other ingredients. Now, me, I have to stop in my preparations frequently and wash my hands to keep things safe. The line cook just used his tongs to keep his hands clean.

He was so comfortable with his tongs, I saw him pick up a piece of paper off the counter and hand it to the hostess -- that's skill.

--Glenn

It's incredible to watch professionals use tongs.

I was at Kulettos in SF a few weeks ago, and as always, I sat at the counter. The counter is within a few feet of the ovens and stovetops; it's basically in the kitchen. You can feel the heat as you watch the chefs cook the entrees.

This time there, I was amazed by the way the line cook used his tongs. Long story short, he used his tongs as an extension of his hands, to avoid cross-contamination between raw meats and other ingredients. Now, me, I have to stop in my preparations frequently and wash my hands to keep things safe. The line cook just used his tongs to keep his hands clean.

He was so comfortable with his tongs, I saw him pick up a piece of paper off the counter and hand it to the hostess -- that's skill.

--Glenn

Calls,

I know just what you mean. My favorite watering hole (Main Street Saloon - I've talked about it often here) has a large grill inside of an oval bar (sits about 48) and I always try and choose seats for us just in front of the grill. I love to watch these guys at work grilling steaks, burgers, chops, wings, etc. They are like magicians wielding those tongs - especally when they move the oysters, mussels and clams around - splitting the shells open with one hand gripping their tongs. Lots and lots of practice I guess.

Mike