Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncle Bob

Temperature Gauge for Weber One-Touch Gold

7 posts in this topic

Hi All -

Here is a simple modification I made to my Weber 22-1/2" One-Touch Gold grill - adding an Old Smokey 2" Temperature Gauge (Model #BT-1), mounted on the Weber's lid. Here's the gauge I used:

http://www.oldsmokey.com/0242tempgauge.html

This was a very simple modification, taking less than 10 minutes. Here's what I did:

1. Placed two layers of masking tape on the outside of the lid at the spot I wanted the gauge, just below the handle. The tape will help prevent any cracking or chipping to the lid's surface.

2. Marked the spot on the tape for my hole and then drilled a 3/32" pilot hole through the lid.

3. Drilled the 3/8" main hole in the pilot hole, drilling slowly and aided with a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil.

4. Cleaned up the burr on the underside of the lid.

5. Mounted the threaded gauge into the hole, using the included washer and nut, and tightened. Done!

Here's how it turned out:

There is a 2-1/2" probe stem on this temperature gauge (underside of lid):

My total cost for this little project was only $14.49, including shipping - not too bad! ;)

It's a simple modification that's been a great help in keeping track of my cooking temperatures on my Weber OTG grill. Wonder why Weber doesn't include this on all their kettle grills? No matter, it's cheap and easy to do ourselves. :(

Hi All -

Here is a simple modification I made to my Weber 22-1/2" One-Touch Gold grill - adding an Old Smokey 2" Temperature Gauge, mounted on the Weber's lid. Here's the gauge I used:

http://www.oldsmokey.com/0242tempgauge.html

This was a very simple modification, taking less than 10 minutes. Here's what I did:

1. Placed two layers of masking tape on the outside of the lid at the spot I wanted the gauge, just below the handle. The tape will help prevent any cracking or chipping to the lid's surface.

2. Marked the spot on the tape for my hole and then drilled a 3/32" pilot hole through the lid.

3. Drilled the 3/8" main hole in the pilot hole, drilling slowly and aided with a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil.

4. Cleaned up the burr on the underside of the lid.

5. Mounted the threaded gauge into the hole, using the included washer and nut, and tightened. Done!

Here's how it turned out:

There is a 2-1/2" probe stem on this temperature gauge (underside of lid):

My total cost for this little project was only $14.49, including shipping - not too bad! ;)

It's a simple modification that's been a great help in keeping track of my cooking temperaturs on my Weber OTG grill. Wonder why Weber doesn't include this on all their kettle grills? No matter, it's cheap and easy to do ourselves. :(

Uncle Bob,

Nice modification! It will be a handy aide to monitor your cooking temps. I agree that Weber should be installing them at the factory, perhaps just a cost saving issue?

The tape was a great precaution - shows you are very handy and mechanically inclined!

Mike

Uncle Bob -

That is a great idea. I get so used to the temp guage on the Performer, that when I fire up the One Touch too, I am lost. I know my Dad has the same issue. I just might have do try this!

Thanks!

Mike

thanks for providing the idea and the pictures! i added a temp to my weber this morning.

FYI - you can get the same temp gauge from ebay for only $7!

OK, I took the plunge and modded my kettle the other day. I bought the same exect stuff as Uncle Bob here, however I noticed that the temp of the mounted thermometer is about 50 degrees greater than a thermometer on grill. Has anyone else seen this? I was having a heck of time getting it right then when I subtracted 50 degrees my food started cooking as normal.

OK, I took the plunge and modded my kettle the other day. I bought the same exect stuff as Uncle Bob here, however I noticed that the temp of the mounted thermometer is about 50 degrees greater than a thermometer on grill. Has anyone else seen this? I was having a heck of time getting it right then when I subtracted 50 degrees my food started cooking as normal.

Thats cause hot air rises and is being trapped by the hood, try getting a temp gauge and putting it on the grates

jim

Bob, first of all thanks for the information. As you can see, this is my first post. What landed me here was I have had a Performer for a number of years and I found I needed more capacity, (read additional grill). I cook strictly with charcoal so ended up getting a new 22-1/2” OTG yesterday. Two things became obvious. I needed the holders for indirect as sometimes I actually spread them apart rather than just cooking to one side, and a thermometer. Bottom line, thanks to your help I ordered a new thermometer, P/N 70180. This is the one on the newer Performer so should be much easier to install compared to the older one I have. Once again…. Thanks!

Rolf