Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncle Bob

Marking Vent Opening on Weber Kettle

Hi All -

I don't know if I'd call this a modification, but rather a helpful tip. On my Weber 22-1/2" One-Touch Gold grill, once I'd loaded the bottom grate with coals, I couldn't see the lower vents and could not tell exactly how far they are opened or closed. I needed to know my bottom vent status as I adjusted the damper control rod to control my heat.

I needed to setup some marks on the damper rings to help me know the position of the damper blades. On a clean, empty grill, I set the damper control rod so the damper blades were just next to the vent holes on the bottom on the kettle, and called this "100" percent OPEN Bottom Vents. I made a mark on the outside of the damper ring with my Sharpie permanent marker for this position, labeled "100". I then moved the damper control rod so the damper blades covered the vent holes half way, and call this "50" percent OPEN Bottom Vents, and labeled with my Sharpie. Finally. I moved the damper control rod to the position where the damper blades first completely covered the vent holes, and called this "0" percent OPEN Bottom Vents, and labeled with my Sharpie. Here's what my damper ring looks like:

I've found this little trick to be very helpful when it comes to setting up a "low and slow" cook - was able to dail up and hold 250-275 degrees without much trouble. With this setup, it's easy to eyeball in about 75% OPEN vents or 25% OPEN in between the marks as needed. Pretty cheap mod too! :P

Hi All -

I don't know if I'd call this a modification, but rather a helpful tip. On my Weber 22-1/2" One-Touch Gold grill, once I'd loaded the bottom grate with coals, I couldn't see the lower vents and could not tell exactly how far they are opened or closed. I needed to know my bottom vent status as I adjusted the damper control rod to control my heat.

I needed to setup some marks on the damper rings to help me know the position of the damper blades. On a clean, empty grill, I set the damper control rod so the damper blades were just next to the vent holes on the bottom on the kettle, and called this "100" percent OPEN Bottom Vents. I made a mark on the outside of the damper ring with my Sharpie permanent marker for this position, labeled "100". I then moved the damper control rod so the damper blades covered the vent holes half way, and call this "50" percent OPEN Bottom Vents, and labeled with my Sharpie. Finally. I moved the damper control rod to the position where the damper blades first completely covered the vent holes, and called this "0" percent OPEN Bottom Vents, and labeled with my Sharpie. Here's what my damper ring looks like:

I've found this little trick to be very helpful when it comes to setting up a "low and slow" cook - was able to dail up and hold 250-275 degrees without much trouble. With this setup, it's easy to eyeball in about 75% OPEN vents or 25% OPEN in between the marks as needed. Pretty cheap mod too! :)

Good idea, thanks for the tip