Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

dwost

Jenn-Air Mods and Pictures

50 posts in this topic

I took a few shots today of the different mods that I've performed on my grill. If anyone has any to add or additional questions please let me know. I didn't snap any pictures of the divider mod and smoker box as bluesin has covered those in another post.

Grill: Everyone know's what they look like but I'd thought post a pic of mine. The next project will be the island that i'm building this into. Look for more posts on that in the near future :lol:

Door Rack: Got this at Pier-1. I think it cost all of about 5 bucks. only downfall is that it is chrome plated and will eventually rust but for now it works fine.

Utensile Hooks: Added these stainless hooks to assist with tool assortment. These come standard on the Sterling Forge models.

Inside hooks: This I believe is one of the Weber hooks that you can buy at HD. Hooked it to the vents on the side and to increase storage capacity.

Inside: Here is a shot of the cabinet. I removed the sliding LP holder and it opened up the area quite nicely. I've added additional ss "S" hooks that I hung the mits and grill topper on. They simply connect through the vents as well.

Grill Light: If you look at the original pic you can see the grill light. Got this at Lowe's for $20. It is an LED unit which gives off great light for night grilling. My only complaint is that the gooseneck is rusting a bit. It was supposed to be SS but I think it was made from a low grade steel. Here is a pic of where it's connected to the rotis bracket.

Rotisserie Storage Hooks: I believe the Grand Classic from Costco has a similar arrangement. Again, went to HD and picked up two SS eye hooks. drilled and inserted them into the back. I opened the one up so the rod drops into place. I attached a close-up of that as well.

Heat: Well, I decided to experiment last night before our guests arrived for a picnic and upsized the orfices one more size. I'm VERY HAPPY to report that an awesome grill just got even better. I've just increased my burners to 18K each. The total output of the three main burners is now hitting 54K as opposed to 45K stock. Here are the results:

All three burners on LOW: 15 minutes = 250 degrees at hood and grates

- blue flame over entire burner

All three burners on HI: 10 minutes = 400 degrees at hood and grates

- blue flame over entire burner with a little orange at the back of the burner

All three burners on HI: 30 minutes = 600 degrees at hood / 750 degrees at grates

- blue flame over entire burner with a little orange at the back of the burner

Here are the specifications:

- NG pressure at the house is 7" wc/psi

- Orifices drilled to #50

- Air inlet screw fully screwed in

- Noticed 50-75 degree increase on maximum temperature

- No change in flame characteristic

- No change in LOW heating capabilities

This just proves that even drilling out the orifices will not effect the low heating capabilities of this unit. If anyone is experience heating issues, there is a very easy remedy. I can't believe how well this unit works for a sub $1k grill!!!

I cooked a ton of steak and chicken kabobs last night using low-medium heat and didn't experience one flare up. I was able to maintain consistant temperatures and the end results were simply fantastic. I had several people commenting on how tasty the food was. I have a couple of appetizer receipies that I'll post in the other thread that are so easy and left my guests wanting more!! Hope this helps everyone out!!

Don

Hey,

Great pics. Gave me some ideas to help organize. I assume the 3 burner didn't come with the door rack. Mine came with one that is very similar.

Jim

I assume the 3 burner didn't come with the door rack.  Mine came with one that is very similar.

Jim

Right, no rack or paper towel holder. They can be purchased directly from Nexgrill and I may end up doing that to ensure that it's all stainless.

dwost,

Do you keep your grill under a grill cover or is it under a patio roof? I have been wondering how a Jenn-Air grill would hold up out in the weather. :lol:

Oillogger, it's outside in the open under the standard Jenn-Air cover. The grill and the cover have held up great over the past year. The first picture was taken today and my grill is about a year and a month old. the stainless looks as good as the day I bought it. The hood is a little discolored from the heat but overall it still looks brand new. I never bring it in during the winter months either and I use it even when it's below 0 outside :lol: so far so good!!

Don

Don -

This is a great thread. You've touched on a lot of important "tweaks" to the grill that bring it a lot closer to being perfect.

I like the solution for the rotisserie holder - will definitely do that one. Also like where you added the SS hooks under the front edge of the left wing. Like you, I'd also prefer to use SS hooks on the inside as well, which is why I've hesitated to purchase any of the standard hook accessories I've seen in stores so far for grill (they all appear to be chrome, and I'm convinced that whatever is under the chrome will rust).

I'm increasingly interested in the NG conversion - especially after reading about your latest mod to up the BTU's from your installation - sounds great.

Back to the earlier question about leaving the grill out year round: you mentioned the cover - do you routinely cover your grill when not using it?

dwost,

The last thing I am worried about my Jenn-Air grill is that high quality stainless holding up except for the stainless flame tamers. I am not sure what all the heat and grease will do to the flame tamers over time. But heck, all of the stainless steel is suppose to have a lifetime warranty. I have also wondered about the LP tank glides, ignitors, and wiring if directly exposed to the weather. A while back I was looking at some homes in Houston on the internet and I saw quite a few stainless grills out in the weather. I guess there are a bunch of built-in stainless steel grills checking out the stars at night without a cover. :lol: Is there someone out there with their stainless steel grill completely naked in the weather? If so, I would like to know how long and how is it holding up? I have been thinking about putting mine on my uncovered part of my patio. B)

My question exactly.

I like the idea of being able to leave the grill out, uncovered, as long as we're not expecting a nor'easter and 3 ft of snow. If it's just rain, I'm guessing the grill should hold up well uncovered. Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks guys,

Well, I try to cover mine after I'm finished with it. I know this can be a pain to remember to go out and cover it but I've been pretty good about keeping up with it. Your question about leaving it out "naked" is a good one and I think your concerns are valid. I will say that my internals (tamers, valves, wiring, etc...) all look good as new. I have left mine uncovered and had it downpour on it as well as snow. This isn't regular practice but it has happened on occasion. I'm not really worried about getting it wet but more concerned with the pooling water that accumulates in the side burner (I was thinking of drilling some weep holes in the bottom to drain it) and also getting the undercabinet wet with all my stuff in it. The grill mits etc... will absorb the water and I don't want to mess with having to dry it out. As for longevity, I think you'll be fine if you can live with some of these other issues. As for the tank slide, I'm not sure they are all stainless. I inspected mine and it does look like it is mostly stainless, however, the slides could be galvanized or something similar. But hey, you can always use the warranty :lol:

Jon: In response to your interest in the conversion, if you are going that route you will love the results. In the meantime, if you don't want to go with the full conversion, you can upsize the orfices one size bigger for LP. I did this prior to my conversion to NG and the results were similar to what I've experienced with NG. If I remember, I think our grills came drilled to #57 or #56 which equates to 14K-16K. I drilled mine to #55 which equates to 18K for LP. You may want to try this while you are still running LP. You can always drill them bigger for NG if you decide to go that route. Keep in mind you will go thorugh a bit more fuel if you are running all three burners B)

Well, well, well....what do you know. I think I am going to keep my 4-burner Jenn-Air afterall. I am convinced that you cannot get this much for the price tag. I think this grill is in the $2000 range under other manufacturers names. I gave strong consideration to getting a weber instead but you just are not in the same league for the same price.

Many of you probably have read some of my previous posts about the heating issues and Lowe's offering to give me full credit back. I placed a grill thermometer on the grates on Saturday and it pinned the 750 degree mark after installing larger orifices. I guess the thing gets pretty hot :lol: The weird thing is that the hood temp is still only registering 375. I dunno but after using my parents weber genesis gold over the weekend, I could not go down to a grill that small. Last weekend, I had 6 slabs of ribs and two beer can chicks and it worked out great. Also did a couple ribeyes and they got all crusty and blackened while rare in the middle. I thought they were better than the 50$ steak dinner I had at Ruth's Chris a couple months ago. I probably will do some of the mods discussed by dwost and oilloger. The smoker is a great one...

I'm considering making the gap smaller in the back of the grill. Any heating issues that you folks have noticed with doing this. Could be why the brass burners have warped a little. One thing though, the fellow at nexgrill promised cast ss burners and he has not sent them yet. I might have to raise a little he!! if I don't get them soon. Thanks for everyones help

Grillmark, Glad you are staying in the Jenn-Air club!! LOL I know you have had issues with this grill but it sounds like you are getting it dialed in. There is no doubt the Weber would also give you great results, but as I've mentioned before I still don't think you are getting that much for your $$$.

With that said, I'd suggest getting a new thermometer for your hood with a longer probe. I posted a link to a website where you can get them in another post. I havn't done it yet because I really don't use that as a gauge anymore now that I have the surface thermometer.

As for the burners, I'd definitely give Nexgrill a follow-up call and see where they are. I checked mine again this weekend and they are still straight as an arrow.

Closing the gap. Well, you read my mind because that will be my next "mod" :lol: I'm going to get a piece of stainless and do some fabrication/experimentation. Look for some additional posts on this as well in the near future. B)

Don

Hello all,

I was looking at my grill and it appears that you could mount a 1-/14" flat bar or angle stainless across the top under the lid without preventing the lid from opening or closing. If you used angle stainless with a couple of hole drilled thru the grill and the grill top then stainless bolts without nuts could serve as pins to hold the mod in place cooking. When you do not need the stainless angle baffle holding the heat in then just pull the bolts and remove the heat baffle. if you used stainless flat bar then about six stainless bolted into the top of the grill so they will extend up about 1" would hold the flat bar in place. The bolts would be staggard so the flat bar would fit between them. Most people would not notice either versions.

My wife just told me I have spent too much time thinking outside the box and to come back to visit the family. :lol:

Later guys

Grillmark,

I have to agree with dwost, I thinlk you'll be very happy the more you use and get to know this grill.

I have the same model you do and had the same heat issues, after the 15k burners I put in and the other mods I've been very very happy.

Its been rained on, sleeted on hailed on, etc and it fires right up with no problems. I'm a very heavy user of a gas grill, we do 80% of our cooking on a grill so it definately gets a workout from me.

I'm wierd I know, but to tell you the truth I have enjoyed doing the mods as much as anything else :lol:

My wife just told me I have spent too much time thinking outside the box and to come back to visit the family. :lol:

This is getting interesting! I think we ought to call up MTV, see if they'll start a new show..."Pimp my Grill"...or maybe HGTV would be interested in "Extreme Barbecue"...

But seriously... I can imagine putting together the full set of aftermarket mods that turn this unassuming import into MegaGrill, conquering other products that cost 3 to 4 times as much...

Too cool... B)

I'm sure my wife will agree with yours...but I can see that this is destined to become a long-term hobby. I'm not likely to outgrow the 3-burner grill for a bit, but I was just at Lowes an hour ago (had to pick up part to repair the vacuum breaker / backflow preventer that connects to my sprinkler system) and I lingered by their Jenn-Air display on the way out, admiring the 5-burner model...

Wow, where have I been since I asked Don to post his mods. This is great, you have been very active today. I was off from work today, so I wasn't sitting at my desk bored to tears wondering what my grill buddies were doin'.

Nice job on the posts Don and great comments everyone else. I certainly need to do some of these mods to my own.

Don, where do you keep your rotis motor?

Utensile Hooks: Added these stainless hooks to assist with tool assortment. These come standard on the Sterling Forge models.

Don,

How did you connect these to the shelf? And youm mention the sterlng forge grill, did you get them from nexgrill or buy'em at Lowes and install you self?

Jack

Wow, where have I been since I asked Don to post his mods.  This is great, you have been very active today.  I was off from work today, so I wasn't sitting at my desk bored to tears wondering what my grill buddies were doin'.

Nice job on the posts Don and great comments everyone else.  I certainly need to do some of these mods to my own.

Don, where do you keep your rotis motor?

LOL yeah, I was bored today :) I keep the motor in one of those boxes pictured above. It is in there with my wireless grill thermometer adn a couple other goodies. Those snap top rubbermaid tubs are great!!! :D

As for the hooks, just go to HD or Lowes and get stainless hooks. I drilled 5 holes through the bottom lip and securied them with flat/lock washers and a nut with thread lock on it. Sturdy and should not rust :)

Dwost,

Nice to know there is a fellow Northern Ohioian on the board. I'm from a small town about 1/2 hour east of Cleveland. Grilled walleye....skin on with a little olive oil garlic and rosemary...mmmmmmmmm :D

And yes everybody, by girlfriend just commented that I am now dating my "stupid grill" and that I need to "get a life". I just told her that us males are simple minded and cooking over flame evolutionarily goes back to the cave man days.........

Dwost,

Nice to know there is a fellow Northern Ohioian on the board. I'm from a small town about 1/2 hour east of Cleveland. Grilled walleye....skin on with a little olive oil garlic and rosemary...mmmmmmmmm :D

And yes everybody, by girlfriend just commented that I am now dating my "stupid grill" and that I need to "get a life". I just told her that us males are simple minded and cooking over flame evolutionarily goes back to the cave man days.........

Wow, a local grill buddy!!! :) Yeah, my wife already thinks I'm totally nuts. Her comment to me last night after reading Jon's comments about "pimp my grill" (which is so true and quite funny) was that I can find a way to "mod" anything. I'm also an avid euro car guy and into landscaping. I seem to perform mods on pretty much anything I own!!! :) Why stop at a grill, right?? Oh well, I could be into worse things........and I don't hear her complaining at all after every meal that I cook on this beauty. I actually think she is VERY happy that I like this grill so much because my original thoughts were to finally take the plunge and drop $3-4K on one :) That is on hold for awhile now that this baby is dialed in!!!