dwost

Jenn-Air Mods and Pictures

So, I did this mod to my 0061 Jenn-Air, and its great. I have 8" wc (1/3psi) here so I went to like 48 or 49 size on the burner orifice. Just got done about 20 min ago and converted my BBQ Grillware smoker at the same time. Now I can run everything, at once, and never worry about running out of fuel.

My question is, how do I do this to the side burner and rotisserie burner? I dont know where the orifice is and rather then tear everything apart, I thought I would ask first.

Thanks

You know, this is a good question. I was interested in doing the NG conversion until you pointed this out.

Regardless, I at least have a guideline in regard to drilling out the burners while still using LP.

OK, well Ill answer what I can...

I removed the side burner from above, if that makes sense, and looking down, there was the orifice. Same as in the main burners, just used a nut driver to get to it. Drilled it out as per the chart.

I over drilled the IR burner in the rear, as I didnt do enough research to get the BTU of it first. Now I am going to try a few things to fix this, including a new orifice ^_^ If I had known the BTU it would have come out just fine.

Not sure on how my flames should look, and looking to get some feedback from others..

Cooks good, pinns my surface thermometer over 700 degrees, so I guess its working good.

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I have a question regarding something mentioned in the initial post. Dwost wrote: "Air inlet screw fully screwed in"

I have a 720-0336. Where is this "air inlet screw"? I can find no mention of it in the manual.

Also, I am interested in a few of the mods occasionally mentioned around here. Specifically, the hinges installed to cover the air vents, the divider mod, and drilling out the "orifice" for more heat. I have searched around, and occasionally come across posts with links to the original posts describing these mods, but the links are always dead. Can someone help me find the descriptions of these mods?

Thanks very much.

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I have a question regarding something mentioned in the initial post. Dwost wrote: "Air inlet screw fully screwed in"

I have a 720-0336. Where is this "air inlet screw"? I can find no mention of it in the manual.

Also, I am interested in a few of the mods occasionally mentioned around here. Specifically, the hinges installed to cover the air vents, the divider mod, and drilling out the "orifice" for more heat. I have searched around, and occasionally come across posts with links to the original posts describing these mods, but the links are always dead. Can someone help me find the descriptions of these mods?

Thanks very much.

Welcome to the forums! It's the screw located on the side of the cast burners. I'm not sure if your burners have this or not. It really doesn't do anything as I've found out over the years. Mine are totally removed at this point.

Better to have a little too much air than not enough air unless you like sooted food. ;)

One thing you'll notice is when there is too much air entering the burner, the flame will lift off the burner, not good. :blink:

Better to have a little too much air than not enough air unless you like sooted food. ;)

One thing you'll notice is when there is too much air entering the burner, the flame will lift off the burner, not good. :blink:

I agree, however, I've experimented a lot with the screw and on the cast burners it makes no difference whether it's there or not.

I agree, however, I've experimented a lot with the screw and on the cast burners it makes no difference whether it's there or not.

To be able to really tell if there's a difference you'll need a CO meter to measure the combustion gases in PPM (parts per million).

Deja vu...

I had signed up here in 2005 when I first searched for a new grill and then wound up joining the "Lowes / Jenn-Air" 720-0061 club. Great thread here - really enjoyed the discussions, and the grill was wonderful back then. Later on in 2005 / 2006, life got complicated and distracted me from topics like this, and a wound up losing track of the forum, discussion, my plan to follow Don's discussion about enlarging the burner orifices, etc. Well -- here I am 10 years later, and amazingly enough, the 720-0061 still works, and still looks incredibly good. It's weather numerous NJ winters - some with and most without a cover. So far, all I've had to replace (beside the propane in the tank!) is the regulator. Amazingly, the grill is still chugging away.

It does NOT, though, at this point get the same temps I remember getting in 2005 / 2006. I need to clean it out thoroughly, and would actually like to try the orifice mod early in this thread. If any of the old folks are still on the forum and remember this topic, I'd really be happy to reconnect and discuss this, and any related topics.

thanks -- and very happy I was able to figure out where this forum was, and what my old logon was! :)

- Jon

I'm going to revive this thread as I am jus now embarking on getting an older Jenn Air 2004 grill up and running.  None of the pictures are showing up for these mods but I would be VERY interested in seeing them.  Specifically the ones to increase the heat inside.  Anybody know where I can see them?  I'm not on a movie device but a laptop.  Thank you.  

I would be VERY VERY leery of doing anything to increase internal heat. The designers knew the internals and such probably could not stand up to extreme heat build up so designed a way for it to not build up to extremes. I would tread very carefully unless you like the idea of burning down your deck