Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cuskit

Down Home with the Neeleys

There's a new show on (started this month) television about bbq. On the Food Network, you will have to check you local listings. I haven't seen it yet (just discovered it tonight while surfing the net), but will be tuning in their next broadcast. Has anyone else seen this show or heard about it?

Check it out here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ny/

Mike

There's a new show on (started this month) television about bbq. On the Food Network, you will have to check you local listings. I haven't seen it yet (just discovered it tonight while surfing the net), but will be tuning in their next broadcast. Has anyone else seen this show or heard about it?

Check it out here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ny/

Mike

Haven't heard of it but thanks for the heads up...

my 2 fav shows are

America's test kitchen (tivo'd)

License to grill - but I guess its not on yet (not the season yet?)

but I love food network and anything to do with cooking esp bbqn/grilling...if you do catch a show keep us updated if its worth a watch

Tuan

Haven't heard of it but thanks for the heads up...

my 2 fav shows are

America's test kitchen (tivo'd)

License to grill - but I guess its not on yet (not the season yet?)

but I love food network and anything to do with cooking esp bbqn/grilling...if you do catch a show keep us updated if its worth a watch

Tuan

I saw a few of the intro trailers advertising the launch. Looks like they'll have about as much useful information as a full season of Rachel Ray.

I saw a few of the intro trailers advertising the launch. Looks like they'll have about as much useful information as a full season of Rachel Ray.

lmao. :lol::unsure:

I saw the first show. Food Network has spent a lot of money promoting this. I won't watch the second show.

I saw the first show. Food Network has spent a lot of money promoting this. I won't watch the second show.

That bad, huh? What was wrong with it? I haven't seen it yet.

Mike

That bad, huh? What was wrong with it? I haven't seen it yet.

The promo trailers made it out to be more 'puff' than substance. I'm not into watching personalities; give me the darn info!

The promo trailers made it out to be more 'puff' than substance. I'm not into watching personalities; give me the darn info!

I actually watched the Neeleys this weekend.

While it is a little different than there BBQ joint , they do have some nice recipes

The Neeley's actually tell you to go to the food network website to get recipes. The substance lives

I actually watched the Neeleys this weekend.

While it is a little different than there BBQ joint , they do have some nice recipes

The Neeley's actually tell you to go to the food network website to get recipes. The substance lives

Geez, I'm sorry I missed it! My tivo is on the blinko. :lol: I've got to take it back to Cablevision for a replacement. Missing too many shows!

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Were guests on Paula Dean then got their own show!!!!!

I think they have a resturant of their own somewhere.

A little to heavy on the accent ??? As in "He keep takn all my surga."

No harm mean't , just watch the show.

They have a BBQ restaurant in Memphis.

It is world renown,

The food is amazing. They have been featured on The food network and the discovery channel and The today Show

I wish there show was dedicated to true BBQ, but BBQ people tend to be closed mouth about how they make there food.

http://www.neelysbbq.com/home.htm

They have a BBQ restaurant in Memphis.

It is world renown,

The food is amazing. They have been featured on The food network and the discovery channel and The today Show

I wish there show was dedicated to true BBQ, but BBQ people tend to be closed mouth about how they make there food.

http://www.neelysbbq.com/home.htm

On the show, do they get into the actual smoking and cooking? Any details on the equipment they use, how it's set up, or video of the food actually being prepared and cooked? I've yet to see an episode, and would love to see their setup.

Mike

On the show, do they get into the actual smoking and cooking? Any details on the equipment they use, how it's set up, or video of the food actually being prepared and cooked? I've yet to see an episode, and would love to see their setup.

Mike

Mike

That was the reason that I watched the show. I wanted to learn how to make the bbq that I tasted in there memphis location.

So far that has not been the case in the shows that I have seen.

I have tried a couple of the recipes but I am waiting on the 30 march show where they talk about BBQ

They are going to show us how to make

BBQ Spaghetti

Neely's BBQ Sauce

Memphis-Style Hickory-Smoked Beef and Pork Ribs

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw

Strawberry Shortcut Cake

Here is a link to the recipes they have provided so far.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re..._116792,00.html

Mike

That was the reason that I watched the show. I wanted to learn how to make the bbq that I tasted in there memphis location.

I have tried a couple of the recipes but I am waiting on the 30 march show where they talk about BBQ

BBQ Spaghetti

Neely's BBQ Sauce

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw

Strawberry Shortcut Cake

Ronald,

Well, sounds like the 30th show is the one to watch! My tvo will be back in operation Monday, so I'll be sure to tape the show. I also love coleslaw (anyway I can get it)!

Thanks for the tidbit and also the link for the recipes.

Mike

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

BBQ Spaghetti

Neely's BBQ Sauce

Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw

Strawberry Shortcut Cake

The ribs looks simple enough to try. Now where do I find slab of beef ribs. I'm always gain to try something new. Might have to make a rack like Shelly to accomodate 4 slabs of ribs. :):lol:;):)

Hike

The ribs looks simple enough to try. Now where do I find slab of beef ribs. I'm always gain to try something new. Might have to make a rack like Shelly to accomodate 4 slabs of ribs. :):lol:;):)

Hike

Hike,

We have a chain supermarket (A & P) that sells beef rib slabs in their butchers department. $4.99 per pound, most are usually about 8-10 pound slabs. I look often, but never bought them, usually opting for pork (my one weakness in life - other than no will power to stay away from these long hours at the shop)! The slabs are usually much longer (length of bone) than a typical pork rib, and less meat. That's why I haven't bought, I feel the price should be under $3.00 given the meat:bone ratio. I had ordered bbq beef ribs last year at a local restaurant (Charlie Brown's - nice steakhouse chain), which was a special that evening - not on their everyday menu. Yecht! Huge bones, very fatty and way way undercooked (I ordered medium, assuming that meat close to the bone is usually more tender and can be cooked past rare and still be tender). But they served it to me VERY rare, dripping blood. I was so turned off I couldn't even send it back to the kitchen for a re-cook (never, EVER send food back to be re-done, need I say more;) )! Haven't been able to even think about getting beef ribs since - I keep thinking of that night! But with your short ribs, and seeing the picture of the beef ribs on the previews of the Neely program, perhaps it's time to buy some and try myself. My daughter Jodi is coming home tonight to spend the Easter weekend with us, and she likes beef (though never chopped meat) and this would be something new to try. If I can, I'll try tomorrow night.

One thing I noticed on the Neeleys recipe: he states to place the ribs meaty side down on the grill. This is against everything I've always done and heard. My theory (and generally touted) is that the meaty side should be up so that the juices stay in the slabs, where if you place the bone side up, the ribs dry out more as the juices drip down off the slab instead of "self-basting". What's your thoughts on this?

Mike

Hike,

We have a chain supermarket (A & P) that sells beef rib slabs in their butchers department. $4.99 per pound, most are usually about 8-10 pound slabs. I look often, but never bought them, usually opting for pork (my one weakness in life - other than no will power to stay away from these long hours at the shop)! The slabs are usually much longer (length of bone) than a typical pork rib, and less meat. That's why I haven't bought, I feel the price should be under $3.00 given the meat:bone ratio. I had ordered bbq beef ribs last year at a local restaurant (Charlie Brown's - nice steakhouse chain), which was a special that evening - not on their everyday menu. Yecht! Huge bones, very fatty and way way undercooked (I ordered medium, assuming that meat close to the bone is usually more tender and can be cooked past rare and still be tender). But they served it to me VERY rare, dripping blood. I was so turned off I couldn't even send it back to the kitchen for a re-cook (never, EVER send food back to be re-done, need I say more;) )!

I agreed, plus I don't complain about anything until I have all my food served and on the table ;):):)

Haven't been able to even think about getting beef ribs since - I keep thinking of that night! But with your short ribs, and seeing the picture of the beef ribs on the previews of the Neely program, perhaps it's time to buy some and try myself. My daughter Jodi is coming home tonight to spend the Easter weekend with us, and she likes beef (though never chopped meat) and this would be something new to try. If I can, I'll try tomorrow night.

One thing I noticed on the Neeleys recipe: he states to place the ribs meaty side down on the grill. This is against everything I've always done and heard. My theory (and generally touted) is that the meaty side should be up so that the juices stay in the slabs, where if you place the bone side up, the ribs dry out more as the juices drip down off the slab instead of "self-basting". What's your thoughts on this?

I was thinking the same when I read the receipe, and the meat side should be up for self-basting in the beginning. I thought they might want to sear the meat first, but they are using low heat and a long cook time, which is contradictory to my thinking about searing the meat side first.

Strange that it was very specific about "meaty side down"

Mike

The first episode of DOWN HOME WITH THE NEELY'S had Tim Neely give a worthwile lesson on how to cut and trim and skin pork spare ribs. The episode is called SUNDAY SUPPER and should be rerun a few more times.

For you lucky ones near Memphis...right across the street from the Neely's place on Mt. Moriah is a restaurant called Emerald Thai. My brother in Memphis has a pal from Thailand who says that Emerald Thai is just like Mom's Home Cookin'. He's was right...their Tom Kha soup and Chicken Pad Thai was GOOD!