Welcome to the New Upgraded BBQ Source Forums. Please let us know if you have any issues with the new site, we will be customizing it for a while to get it looking as sharp as ever. 

Thanks,

Bluesin

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shelly

Easter Brunch Menu for 3/23/08

21 posts in this topic

Old Bill,

I like the "White soul food" nomiker! :)

Your menu sounds as great as can be, too many favorites for me to choose which to bite into first! One question: what are "fillo" wraps?

That dessert menu is to die for! My Patty would be yours for life should you serve her pecans in whipped cream, she lusts for pecans - and the whipped cream makes them the ultimate! Do you bake your own corn bread? I love thick slices smeared with huge slabs of fresh creamy butter!

Pictures would have been nice, but knowing how I was banned from photos Easter Sunday - I certainly can understand why not. Plus, enjoying the company doesn't leave a lot of time for camera work anyway.

How long will those vacuum packs of pork take to get shipped to my home address? :)

Mike

Mike,

Phylo dough comes frozen in most markets. In the package are dozens of extremely thin sheets of dough. It comes folded and should be defrosted before trying to unfold or they will crack.

Each sheet is brushed with butter until about 6-8 sheets are combined. It is then filled with apple strudel mixture or whatever and folded, sealed and baked. The end result is a very flakey pastry shell.

As part of my diet, I have tried spraying butter Pam between sheets but this does not help them stick together and it was too messy to eat. I got better results by brushing beaten egg between the first 4 sheets and then butter Pam for another 4. It actually worked, holding together and remaining flakey.

But brushing melted butter is the best and most traditional way to treat the layers of dough.

And then there's puff pastry. :)

Hope you liked my pics.

Shelly

Mike,

Phylo dough comes frozen in most markets. In the package are dozens of extremely thin sheets of dough. It comes folded and should be defrosted before trying to unfold or they will crack.

Each sheet is brushed with butter until about 6-8 sheets are combined. It is then filled with apple strudel mixture or whatever and folded, sealed and baked. The end result is a very flakey pastry shell.

As part of my diet, I have tried spraying butter Pam between sheets but this does not help them stick together and it was too messy to eat. I got better results by brushing beaten egg between the first 4 sheets and then butter Pam for another 4. It actually worked, holding together and remaining flakey.

But brushing melted butter is the best and most traditional way to treat the layers of dough.

And then there's puff pastry. :)

Hope you liked my pics.

Shelly

Shelly,

Thanks for the great description and response. I started reading and thought it was Bill posting until I got to the end - I was thinking "wow, he talks a lot like Shelly"!!! :) I'm not the real pastry buff in the family - that would be Patty. Which is why I asked - I want to be able to please her with something new! She probably knows this anyway though! :)

Loved your pics, by the way! As always......

Mike