Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wasabi999

how to remove a membrane from a rib

I heard about this tip many times in recipes but had no idea what they were talking about or how to do it...I did try on 1 occasion but now I realize after watching this I was not doing it correctly...so of all the ribs I've ever cooked I've never done this...can't wait to do ribs next time to see if it makes a difference

http://www.5min.com/Video/how-to-remove-rib-membarne-3714

another tip I heard somewhere was spritzing it with cider vinegar every hour or so

here's another video of how to cook the ribs...I haven't tried foiling it up before..but will give it a go as well next time

http://www.foodreference.com/frvideos/html...-grill-004.html

I heard about this tip many times in recipes but had no idea what they were talking about or how to do it...I did try on 1 occasion but now I realize after watching this I was not doing it correctly...so of all the ribs I've ever cooked I've never done this...can't wait to do ribs next time to see if it makes a difference

another tip I heard somewhere was spritzing it with cider vinegar every hour or so

here's another video of how to cook the ribs...I haven't tried foiling it up before..but will give it a go as well next time

Thanks for the posts, You will find that removing the membarne will actually provide a better eating experience especially if you have been eating them with the membrane on. The speaker is correct in that only if you are lucky, you can remove the membrane in one pull. I have been successful only once :):):lol::lol:

Of course we have the professional that can whip them off with one jerk, i.e., time is money!!!! :lol:

Nice how to on the ribs, but using three methods of cooking on one dish??? Only one of us have that many toys to use. :lol:

Hike

This is interesting. My parents don't remove the membrane, and as a result I've never really given much thought to doing so. I actually like eating it and find it comparable to eating crispy salty chicken skin once its cooked. That said, I grilled some baby back ribs last night. One rack, cut in half - half I removed the membrane the other half I didn't. I was surprised it took quite a bit of effort to remove. It tore a little, but I managed to (cheat) get it off in one piece :)

This is interesting. My parents don't remove the membrane, and as a result I've never really given much thought to doing so. I actually like eating it and find it comparable to eating crispy salty chicken skin once its cooked. That said, I grilled some baby back ribs last night. One rack, cut in half - half I removed the membrane the other half I didn't. I was surprised it took quite a bit of effort to remove. It tore a little, but I managed to (cheat) get it off in one piece :lol:

As always it's a matter of preference. In the competition circuit I don't think I've ever seen ribs that didn't have the membrane removed. I too, kind of like the crunchiness of the membrane when "done" properly. I can assure you we'll be taking the membrane off for the judges in Winchester Tn in a couple of weeks. But rest assured that our "production" ribs will be membrane on :)

This is interesting. My parents don't remove the membrane, and as a result I've never really given much thought to doing so. I actually like eating it and find it comparable to eating crispy salty chicken skin once its cooked. That said, I grilled some baby back ribs last night. One rack, cut in half - half I removed the membrane the other half I didn't. I was surprised it took quite a bit of effort to remove. It tore a little, but I managed to (cheat) get it off in one piece :)

cool...so what's the verdict? any difference in taste? or what did you prefer?

thx

Most agree that having the membrane off will allow the rub to directly flavor the meat and also not be barrier for smoke. As far as having a gathering, any extra effort will be greatly appreciated. From my experience, I seem to have an easier time removing the membrane when the ribs are really cold vs when they're warmer.

Do you plan on doing WET ribs? Best tip I can tell you is if you chose to use a bottled BBQ sauce, get the original (vs a honey or hickory smoked) and add a quarter cup of honey to every cup of BBQ sauce. Put it over low heat in a pan to combine. You are essentially turning a bold spicy sauce into milder sweeter glaze. I personally like bullseye the best but use KC masterpiece as I can get really cheap due to the air force. I've also found a lot of info saying only to sauce the ribs the last 20 mins. I've found superior results saucing them the last hour, again during the last 30mins and one last time before serving!

Most agree that having it will allow the rub to directly flavor the meat and also not be barrier for smoke. As far as having a gathering, any extra effort will be greatly appreciated. From my experience, I seem to have an easier time when they are cold vs when they're warmer.

Do you plan doing WET ribs? Best tip I can tell you is if you chose to use a bottled BBQ sauce, get the original and add a quarter cup of honey to every cup of BBQ sauce. Put it over low heat in a pan to combine.

hmm...I like that idea...my friends/family tend to favour sweeter sauces esp when it comes to ribs...thx!

Ugh, I really have the problem of thinking faster than I write. I've been trying to review prior to posting. I messed up my last post so I just edited it and added one more tip :angry:

Ugh, I really have the problem of thinking faster than I write. I've been trying to review prior to posting. I messed up my last post so I just edited it and added one more tip :)

:angry::lol: When I read your orginal post before you edited it, I thought your comments were reversed.

Now it reads correctly. :lol::lol:

I do this all the time, and have to run back in and re-edit my post.

Hike

I like to use 1 part Captain Morgans, 1 part apple juice, and 2 parts olive oil. The alcohol in the captain Morgan's help keep the oil emulsified with the apple juice

Ugh, I really have the problem of thinking faster than I write.

My problem is that I only got two fingers that know how to type or key. I did a few racks of ribs for the fourth. With a rub I found, that was maybe from a KC site

Kansas City Barbeque Society Barbeque Rub

2 cups sugar

1/4 cup paprika

2 teaspoons chili powder

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 cup salt

2 teaspoons black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients and store in a tightly-sealed jar in a cool dark place. Use as a rub for any barbecued meat.

I did these racks with this rub, and had cooked some KC style sauce to go with it. Nobody used the sauce, but my grandaughter. I spent 2hrs makin that sauce

I tried to pull all the membrane off them, got most of it off but not like you see in the vids. But they was the aft cut of ribs. The last 8in. of slab had no bones. Did the 3-2-1 with them on the Masterbuilt smoker at 230deg, Turned out to be "fall off the bone". I'm not a real rib fan, but when ribs are on sale for .99lb, We'll smokem'up.

Greg

I'm not a real rib fan, but when ribs are on sale for .99lb, We'll smokem'up.

Greg

Man, wish I could find good ribs around here for .99 per pound! Costco is the best at $2.99. I mean, I'll pay ANY price for ribs, but I'd buy a lot more for only .99!!

Mike

Mike

That's the problem living in NJ everything is overpriced ;) I thought I did well at 3.29 a lb for ribs today .99 thats insane

Tony T :)