Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mnlang

KCBS Judge

All -

I had the good fortune of becoming a certified KCBS Judge on Father's Day. A local BBQ group at a local American Legion sponsored the 4 1/2 certification class. The KCBS President, Mike Lake, came into town to instruct about 75 of us. I found the whole thing rather interesting and hope to actually judge something in the near future. If you get the chance to take the class, take it. We ate through all four categories of chicken, ribs, pulled pork, and brisket, while learning (and justifying) the intricacies of each.

2581122841_5ab34abb79.jpg

Even if I don't get the opportunity to use it, I at least got to take the first oath in my life swearing allegiance to meat! How cool is that?

Mike

All -

I had the good fortune of becoming a certified KCBS Judge on Father's Day. A local BBQ group at a local American Legion sponsored the 4 1/2 certification class. The KCBS President, Mike Lake, came into town to instruct about 75 of us. I found the whole thing rather interesting and hope to actually judge something in the near future. If you get the chance to take the class, take it. We ate through all four categories of chicken, ribs, pulled pork, and brisket, while learning (and justifying) the intricacies of each.

Even if I don't get the opportunity to use it, I at least got to take the first oath in my life swearing allegiance to meat! How cool is that?

Mike

I got certified years ago and felt it was worthwhile. You get some insights that don't often come from family and friends (who are often just pleased to get a free meal) I hope you get a chance to judge a contest or two.

I got certified years ago and felt it was worthwhile. You get some insights that don't often come from family and friends (who are often just pleased to get a free meal) I hope you get a chance to judge a contest or two.

I actually have been trying to enroll in one for the past year, but can not find one locally in Calif.

Hike

Now whenever you're at someone else's backyard barbecue you can critique the work with a tone of authority and slight contempt as you tap your certified-Kansas-City-Barbecue-Society-Judge-badge! :)

Seriously though, that's cool. Congrats! If they offered something similar in my neck of the woods, I'd definitely sign up.

BL

All -

Mike

Mike

Is this just for KC BBQ or did they go into BBQ from the other three areas being texas, memphis and carolina

Don - Thanks, I wholeheatedly agree.

Hike - If they make it your way, you will really find it worthwhile.

BL - LOL...right now I am just having fun grading my own!

Ronald - It was BBQ in general, without any regards to region or style. Kansas Ciity just happens to be where the HQ is based. As long you "follow the rules", you are good to go!

Mike