Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QuakeTen

First MES Smoke: Boston Butt or Ribs

Hello,

I am planning for my first smoke sometime soon and wanted to ask if I should try out the MES on a Boston Butt or a rack of ribs. I figured that the ribs would be somewhat easy with a nice 3-2-1 at 200 or 225. But what about the Boston Butt? Could I try that first? If so, can someone give me the pointers on how to smoke it on the MES?

Thanks.

Hello,

I am planning for my first smoke sometime soon and wanted to ask if I should try out the MES on a Boston Butt or a rack of ribs. I figured that the ribs would be somewhat easy with a nice 3-2-1 at 200 or 225. But what about the Boston Butt? Could I try that first? If so, can someone give me the pointers on how to smoke it on the MES?

Thanks.

I don't have an MES, but pork butt is usually the most forgiving cook, its hard to mess up and its relatively cheap, but it takes a long time so that could be your biggest factor pointing towards ribs. If you're shorter on time, comfortable with ribs, and have done them a lot on your old cooker, fire 'em up!

Just my $.02

Huck

I'm with Huck on this. If you have time, pork butt is the way to go for a first cook. It is very forgiving. You can basically cook it at a temp range of 225-350 and it'll still come out really good. I don't have an MES but when I do butts, I rub it with my spice mix about 12 hours before I plan on smoking it. My last smoke, I injected it with a bit of apple cider (I had two gallons from the farm taking up space in my fridge) mixed with my spice rub. I let it sit at room temp for about an hour. Depending on how fast I want it cooked, I smoke at 240-280°F grate temp (250° being my preferred temp). I check for doneness when the pork's internal temp hits 180°. The rough guide is that it's done at 190° internal temp, but I find that feel is a better indicator of doneness. If you can poke the meat with a probe or meat fork and it slides in with no resistance, then it's done. Sometimes that's at 180°, sometimes at 195°. Often times it's somewhere in between. It takes roughly 1.5 hours per pound of meat for pork butts. Roughly being the operative word here because of the many variables (the meat itself, amount of fat & bone, starting internal temp of meat, temp of smoker, how often it's opened, etc.). Goodluck with your maiden smoke. Let us know how it goes...

JP

I'm with Huck on this. If you have time, pork butt is the way to go for a first cook. It is very forgiving. You can basically cook it at a temp range of 225-350 and it'll still come out really good. I don't have an MES but when I do butts, I rub it with my spice mix about 12 hours before I plan on smoking it. My last smoke, I injected it with a bit of apple cider (I had two gallons from the farm taking up space in my fridge) mixed with my spice rub. I let it sit at room temp for about an hour. Depending on how fast I want it cooked, I smoke at 240-280°F grate temp (250° being my preferred temp). I check for doneness when the pork's internal temp hits 180°. The rough guide is that it's done at 190° internal temp, but I find that feel is a better indicator of doneness. If you can poke the meat with a probe or meat fork and it slides in with no resistance, then it's done. Sometimes that's at 180°, sometimes at 195°. Often times it's somewhere in between. It takes roughly 1.5 hours per pound of meat for pork butts. Roughly being the operative word here because of the many variables (the meat itself, amount of fat & bone, starting internal temp of meat, temp of smoker, how often it's opened, etc.). Goodluck with your maiden smoke. Let us know how it goes...

JP

Excellent information, if doing a bone-in butt, I'll use the wiggle test to see if its done. If the bone moves easily (you can actually pull it out cleanly with just your hand) then its ready to rest for pulling.

Huck

I like ribs a little better than butt, however you get 3 or 4 times the meat so a butt is more thirty...

If you search my name, I have dozens of guests who consider my butt and ribs recipes the greatest. I own the MES. I'll give you the quick how on both. If you chose my method/recipes, I'd recommend searching my name so no details are missed.

Ribs:

Remove membrane, coat ribs with melted butter, once butter hardens apply rub (look for my recipe under rubs), smoke at 235 using the 3-2-1 with hickory smoke. Put hickory in once the MES is up to temp and again at 90mins. Cut up the ribs. Then combine 1/4c of honey to every 1cup of bottled BBQ and brush this glaze over every side of the cut ribs. Place over a bed of lettuce and no one will believe you made them B)

Butt: Combine 50% worchester sauce and 50% apple cider. Inject the mixture at least 12 hours before you smoke. Rub melted butter over the surface. Smoke...Use hickory...cook until the internal temp is 195...

Butt: Combine 50% worchester sauce and 50% apple cider. Inject the mixture at least 12 hours before you smoke. Rub melted butter over the surface. Smoke...Use hickory...cook until the internal temp is 195...

START EARLY!! I learned this the hard way, you will find that the meat will hit a plateau and mine even internally cooled down a few degrees and stayed

there for a couple of hours. Started at I think 11 and actually ate the next day cause it was not done til 10 PM! You can not really count on 1.5 hrs / lb.

It is well worth the wait, and its a lot of meat.

Enjoy

Hello,

Thanks.

Quake Ten ...

I'd go with the Butt, as stated by BaconLover, it is a very forgiving cut of meat.

I season my pork butts with maple syrup and Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning, and use a mixture of apple juice, maple syrup and Scotch whiskey as a mop. I usually don't inject anything as the pork butt usually doesn't need it.

Smoke at ~225 F, and use an digital thermometer to monitor the internal temperature. I usually remove, wrap in foil and rest the Butt when it reaches 190-195F. Let it rest for at least 20-30 minutes.

As long as you don't rush the butt through the plateau [by turning up the heat] ... a good smoked pork butt is the best!

BG in WV

Quake Ten ...

I'd go with the Butt, as stated by BaconLover, it is a very forgiving cut of meat.

I season my pork butts with maple syrup and Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning, and use a mixture of apple juice, maple syrup and Scotch whiskey as a mop. I usually don't inject anything as the pork butt usually doesn't need it.

Smoke at ~225 F, and use an digital thermometer to monitor the internal temperature. I usually remove, wrap in foil and rest the Butt when it reaches 190-195F. Let it rest for at least 20-30 minutes.

As long as you don't rush the butt through the plateau [by turning up the heat] ... a good smoked pork butt is the best!

BG in WV

Well if it were me..... I'd do both if you have room. That way you can be crunchin on the ribs while your waitin for the Butt to get done. I mix and match a lot. Whenever I smoke I like to fill the trays up. Ribs on top, cornish hens on the bottom. Butt on top, Ribs on the bottom. The thing is, even if you mess up a little, it's still gonna be really good. I use a dry rub, my wifes secret recipe that I can't get out of her. I always put apple juice or cider in the water tray and cut up a few hard pears or apples and drop them in. I use hickory or Mesquite or sometimes some of both. I haven't smoked anything that wasn't worth fightin for and it just keeps gettin better.

PigNit

Hello,

Thanks.

Go to Costco's and get a boneless butt

It'd almost impossible to mess up a butt

Hi Bacardi,

My name is Mike D I am a new member. I have been looking at the forums and you seem very experienced in smokers, could you give me some ideas on what is the best all around smoker. Charcoal I here is difficult to stabilize the temperature, I read you have the Masterbuilt electric smoker are you happy with it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike D

I like ribs a little better than butt, however you get 3 or 4 times the meat so a butt is more thirty...

If you search my name, I have dozens of guests who consider my butt and ribs recipes the greatest. I own the MES. I'll give you the quick how on both. If you chose my method/recipes, I'd recommend searching my name so no details are missed.

Ribs:

Remove membrane, coat ribs with melted butter, once butter hardens apply rub (look for my recipe under rubs), smoke at 235 using the 3-2-1 with hickory smoke. Put hickory in once the MES is up to temp and again at 90mins. Cut up the ribs. Then combine 1/4c of honey to every 1cup of bottled BBQ and brush this glaze over every side of the cut ribs. Place over a bed of lettuce and no one will believe you made them ;)

Hi Bacardi,

My name is Mike D I am a new member. I have been looking at the forums and you seem very experienced in smokers, could you give me some ideas on what is the best all around smoker. Charcoal I here is difficult to stabilize the temperature, I read you have the Masterbuilt electric smoker are you happy with it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike D

Welcome to the forums Mike! There are far more experienced and traditional smoker than me. I've only been BBQing about a year and a half, but have done it pretty often and started from nothing...I'm somewhat against the grain in the BBQing approaches I use...Any digitally controlled electric will make near-effortless consistent, great tasting BBQ...I use the MES it was cheap and effortless...Charcoal smokers will yield better tasting BBQ, but require that you tend to the fire. Most BBQers enjoy the actual BBQ process and tending to the fire...Invite their friends over during the cooking process and hang outside and drink beer. I'm just the opposite...Invite folks over, we'll play poker, rockband, darts or beer pong...I actually do not enjoy the experience nor all the clean up...But I got everything down to a science to minimize the amount of dishes and do everything as fast as possible.

Hello,

Thanks.

Can you believe that I completed my first smoke this past weekend? I went with ribs and they turned out great!

I have a beef brisket (4.17lbs) ready to go for tomorrow. Any help here? It sounds like 1.5hrs per pound is the cooking time, right?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Ten

Cook brisket to temp, not time. It needs to get to 190-200 internal temp, then wrap it and let it sit for at least an hour. I like to put it in the fridge at this point and eat it the next day but that's a pretty hard thing to do. Use whatever rub or seasoning you want. Get it seasoned today and let it sit overnight. Don't open your smoker until it's done. I smoke it for the first 5 or 6 hours lately. I used to smoke all the way through but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I also use a jaccard to pierce the seasonings into the meat before cooking. My biggest trick is to do it low and slow and cook to temp then wrap.

Good luck and don't forget the pix!

Sink