Sign in to follow this  
Pign It

Masterbuilt Smoker Modification

I had a problem with the burner going out on low on windy days so I put together a cheap flue extension. This cost me about 5 bucks and is easy to put on and take off. I'll stick some pics on here and if anyone needs any more info just let me know. It is a 4 inch starter collar and a 2 foot piece of flue pipe. I made the damper out of scrapes. Like I said, cheap and works. I don't want anything permanent because it would impede the fit of my cover.

I had a problem with the burner going out on low on windy days so I put together a cheap flue extension. This cost me about 5 bucks and is easy to put on and take off. I'll stick some pics on here and if anyone needs any more info just let me know. It is a 4 inch starter collar and a 2 foot piece of flue pipe. I made the damper out of scrapes. Like I said, cheap and works. I don't want anything permanent because it would impede the fit of my cover.

PigNit

How about a picture of the mod in action

PigNit

Firing it up today!

PigNit

OK, here is my opinion. This flue may work really well to modify a Smoky Mountain cooker, one that doesn't have a flue at all but a vent on top. I really don't think it is worth the effort on my smoker. I really couldn't tell the difference with the flue or with my 6 inch stock flue. If I turn down my gas all the way and there is any wind it is going to blow it out regardless of the height of the flue. I do think that if you didn't have any flue at all and just the vent, this would work great. Just my observation and professional expert (refer to personal statement) I'm sure what I'm talkin about opinion.

I take it you have a propane version?

I modified it to NG but yes it is a gas smoker.

OK, here is my opinion. This flue may work really well to modify a Smoky Mountain cooker, one that doesn't have a flue at all but a vent on top. I really don't think it is worth the effort on my smoker. I really couldn't tell the difference with the flue or with my 6 inch stock flue. If I turn down my gas all the way and there is any wind it is going to blow it out regardless of the height of the flue. I do think that if you didn't have any flue at all and just the vent, this would work great. Just my observation and professional expert (refer to personal statement) I'm sure what I'm talkin about opinion.

If I do the mod, the vent pipe, It's not because of the flame blowing out, I have the electric. It is to raise the smoke exhast a little higher above my head and to put a tent cap on to prevent rain from entering the smoker. I would leave the MES vent adjustment where it is and make allowance for it when building the pipe mount.

Hike

If I do the mod, the vent pipe, It's not because of the flame blowing out, I have the electric. It is to raise the smoke exhast a little higher above my head and to put a tent cap on to prevent rain from entering the smoker. I would leave the MES vent adjustment where it is and make allowance for it when building the pipe mount.

Hike

I would say these materials would be very inexpensive and would work great for what your doing.

I have a Masterbuilt 40", 6 shelf PROPANE fired unit. The single exhaust vent is located on the upper rear wall and is a slotted, slide type exhaust vent.

My concern (and question) relates to the need for ADDITIONAL venting over and above the capability of the slider damper.

1. Would adding a SECOND exhaust damper help evacuate the heat and/or smoke, give more control?

2. Would adding an additional "intake" damper (at the lower level of the smoker box) allow for more combustion air be a DETERENT?

My reasons for asking the questions are, temperature control within the smoking chamber IS a problem on my smoker, not unlike many other brands and designs.

I have already smoked sausage, shoulders, ribs and just yesterday, bacon. All meats were smoked under different and a wide range of temperatures and wind conditions and DID come out well but with lots of "baby sitting" the unit.

The propane fire control is almost completely shut down when trying to control LOW (200 F and less) temperatures.

I am not a "heat chamber", cook stove engineer and need some help. Anyone care to jump in?