Bigdog

Bayside Build

Hi All,

I finally have a few free moments while sitting in the airport to post some pics of my build. I have been working on it for the past 3 weekends and will post pics of the progress for each day that I worked on it. Not being good with cad software I opted to draw by hand my outdoor kitchen with rough dimensions to get an idea of size available for the components. This worked well so I ordered all the components (Grill, Side Burner, Recessed Cooker, doors, sink, refrigerator, trash bin etc.) to have on hand prior to starting the build.

The Site for the outdoor kitchen.

The first day working on the island was running the water, natural gas, electrical, cable, cat 5 and drain lines under the paver. When finished this is what it looked like stubbed out.

The first day framing I spent laying out the frame and verifing dimensions of all components and making sure I could fit everything in the layout taking into account the width of the metal studs for framing in each component. Once I confirmed all dimensions I began cutting and assembling the base of the island.

The next weekend I spent working on the acutal framing. I started by cutting the studs for the back wall and cutting a 2 x 4 piece of Trex into 4" strips to be placed under each stud. Then ended that day starting to frame in the recessed drop down burner.

That Sunday I got start working on the framing for the side burner with storage below and the grill itself. I was amazed how nice a straight the framing is working with metal studs and how square you can make everything if you just take your time.

At this point called it a day and sat back with a rum an coke to enjoy my progress while watching the sunset.

The following Saturday continued finishing the framing for the side burner and grill and was able to complete the framing for the doors as well.

FYI. My island will be both natural gas for the grill/side burner and propane for the recessed burner. I do alot of crawfish boils and use 80-100 quart pots for cooking so I need the presure of propane for boiling that much water.

Last Sunday I spent working on the bar hieght dimensions and how I wanted to handle the cantelever for the bar. I am planning on a 16" wide bar top elevated 6.5" above the counter. I ended up using "L" brackets and also boxing the top of the vertical stud to give it extra support. This is the backside of one.

A shot of one from the inside.

And a shot from the top showing the stud bent over the horizontal stud and riveted for added strength.

Once I figured out the dimensions I spend the rest of the day cutting and assembling the cantelevered studs for the bar. I needed 14 total so it did take a bit of time.

With the 10" "L" bracket in place and the boxed end on the vertical stud I am 100% confident that this bar would support me standing on it and I am a big guy. I have no concerns with people leaning heavily on the bar now. I continue to be amazed at how strong the metal studs become once put in place with rivets. I know it will become even stronger once I get the hardie board in place. I did you 20 gauge studs so that probably helps alot with the strength.

I am hoping with the upcoming 3 day weekend to complete the framing then start on the electical rough in and plumbing. I will continue to post my progress as I go.

Please let me know your thoughts on my progress thus far.

Thanks

Brad

Hey Brad -

First off, Welcome to BBQ Source Forums - we'll glad you joined our merry little band of grilling nuts!

Your new outdoor kitchen is looking great. Looking forward to seeing the future progress on your project.

Thanks bigdog, looks like a great location. Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums...

So where are you at, is that Florida?

Bluesin

Brad,

Another warm welcome to the Source! Glad to have you aboard!

Your kitchen is looking really good - I agree on the squareness and rigidity of the metal studs! Your rivets are also excellent vs. sheet metal screws. It looks to be a great layout. Hardibacker sheathing, then what? Plaster? Tile? Stone? Can't wait to see your next stage, it's really great the way you are documenting your progress. Thanks for sharing! :huh:

Mike

Wow, you've made a lot of progress in a short period of time! Looks very nice. I too am curious as to what the finish materials will be...

Thanks bigdog, looks like a great location. Welcome to the BBQ Source Forums...

So where are you at, is that Florida?

Bluesin

Thanks all for the many welcomes.

I am in the Florida panhandle in a town called Shalimar. It is in the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area.

Brad

Hardibacker sheathing, then what? Plaster? Tile? Stone? Can't wait to see your next stage, it's really great the way you are documenting your progress. Thanks for sharing! :huh:

Mike

I plan to use hardibacker Sheathing then for the sides and back of the island use cultured stone. I have a friend who had just about enough left over from a fireplace project he did to do my island. By the time I purchase the corner peices of it for the island I will have enough. That is going to be a huge cost savings for me as the stone is about $10.00 a foot. For the front side I am planning to use stucco. I like the way the doors look with a smoother finish such as stucco. I have never applied either material but looking forward to the challenge.

For the counter tops I am looking at granite slabs if I can get a decent price on it.

Calling for rain this weekend but I hope it does not. I would like to get the framing completed this weekend so I can move on to the plumbing/electrical rough in.

Brad

Hi All,

Made some progress this past weekend but not as much as I had hoped to. It ended up raining all day Saturday and most of Sunday so I really only got to work on it on Monday. After thinking about it more I decided to pull the Trex feet off and attach 1/2" Hardie board to the bottom to serve as a floor then put Trex feet back on to keep it elevated a little so water can flow under it. I did this for 2 reasons a) not be be blowing leaves/dirt into the island when blowing off the patio with the leaf blower :unsure: reduce as much exposure as possilble for the metal studs to the salt air. Of course I will have vents for airflow so there will be some exposure but less this way.

Once I finished that I started the framing for the bar area. I was able to get the 3 walls of the bar completed by the end of the day.

Next on the list is to finish framing the front area to include a rollout trash bin, refridgerator and an access door in the angled portion next to the grill. Another good solid day of framing and I am hoping to be complete. I am looking forward to having this part done then moving on the electical and plumbing rough in.

Please let me know if you have any questions on what/why I have done or if you notice something missing that needs attention.

Thanks

Brad

Hi All,

I was able to make quite a bit of progress Sunday. I was able to get the framing in place for the trash bin, refridgerater, counter top and access door under the sink. Here are some pics of the progress.

I have a little framing left to add some support for the counter top in the sink area (large open span in corner) and make sure I have enough studs in the correct location for the hardie board. I figure a couple hours left on that part then on the plumbing and electrical.

Started getting pricing on granite counter tops today as well. Price are not as good as I had hoped but not terrible. This will be the most expensive part of the build by far. I am hoping to be ready to template for it early next week.

I also ordered the faucets this week so hopfully they will arrive soon as I will need them prior to templating for the granite.

As always let me know if I can answer any questions.

Brad

Good decision on the Hardibacker bottom, it should add stability and keep the interior protected from the elements. Question: where are you bringing in the electrical run from? I do not see any stubs in the patio, so I assume it will be above ground? Same question regarding the plumbing.

Good decision on the Hardibacker bottom, it should add stability and keep the interior protected from the elements. Question: where are you bringing in the electrical run from? I do not see any stubs in the patio, so I assume it will be above ground? Same question regarding the plumbing.

The service runs have been run under the pavers and come into the island in the front corner. In the most recent pictures they are covered by the bucket in the pictures. I have run service lines for water (3/4"), electrical (6/3 with ground direct bury), Natural Gas line, drain, 2 CAT5 & 2 RG6 coax cables. I have purchased a small breaker panel to for the electrical connections. This allow me to have 240v to the island. I have purchased a small under counter on demand tankless water heater that is 220v so I will have a breaker for that and also have a dedicated breaker for outlets in the island. I will also have a 3rd breaker to uplight some trees in the yard but that is a future project. I could have purchased a 110v tankless water heater however it requires twice the amps to run. I do not have any current plans for the cat5 and rg6 coax however it was cheap and gives me options in the future for audio/ video if needed.

Brad

Dang, that's impressive! You're building a miniature house!

I wish I had the room to build a huge island with all the trimmings, but here in California you don't get much of a back yard for your money ;)

Hi All,

Spent the first few hours Saturday morning finishing up the framing. I added supports for the granite counter tops in the sink area since it was a rather large opening and added deadmen to have something to screw the hardie board to in a few locations. I am glad to say the framing is finally finished. Ended up putting in 238' in studs and 180' of track using 998 rivets. No I did not count the rivets but I bought a box of 1000 stainless rivets for the project and when I finished I had 2 left. I tend to over build and probably went a little overboard on installing them however I kept telling myself better to take a little more time installing rivets now than to try to fix something later because there where not enough originally. Prior to starting the project I bought a 29.00 air rivet gun off of ebay. Boy was that a great investment. I would have forearms like Popeye if not for that, plus since one pull of the trigger set the rivet adding a few extra here and there for insurance was not a big deal.

Once the rain came it was off to the the hardware store for plumbing, electrical and gas piping supplies.

I started with the plumbing rough in first. Installed a shutoff valve for the water and routed it into the stud locations as shown in the picture below. Also this picture shows the piping for the natural gas with a shutoff (behind water pipe just not visible in the picture) and quick disconnect plug. My grill came with a 12' flex hose that will easily reach to this location.

I then mounted the on-demand tankless water heater and made the connections for it. I have stainless braided hoses connected to the top of it for the sink faucet so once they are installed should be an easy connection.

Then ran the water lines (PVC for cold water and CPVC for hot water) to other faucet location to fill large 100 quart pots for the drop down recessed burner and added a silcock to the outside of the island to attach a water hose to just incase I ever want a temporary hose there.

Again used stainless braided hoses for the faucet connection. Capped the lines and tested for leaks. One small drip in one of the water heater connections and after tightening it up had no leaks. Also tested the gas piping for leaks with soapy water and all was good there as well.

Called it a day and cleaned up.

On Sunday got a late start because a cold front blew through and with the wind blowing 35 to 40 mph it was just to cold to work in and made it miserable. Once it warmed up a bit I went out and got started on the electrical rough in. Started by installing the sub panel and making the connections for the incoming service line.

Then moved on to add a circuit for use inside the island for items such as refridgerator, lighting, disposal etc.

and finally one for the water heater. I did not make the connect to the water heater permanent as I did disconnect it and took it in so it would not get wet if it rains. Once I get the counters in I can quickly make the connection.

The last picture is also a good shot of the backside of the water heater connections.

One more circuit to install for the exterior outlets on the counter. This will be a GFCI circuit since these outlets will be in a wet location. Hopefully this will not take to long then it will be on to installing hardie board and vents.

As always please let me know if you have questions and feel free to point out any errors or items that I may have missed.

Brad

Looks great Brad!!!

Keep up with the detailed construction pics!! Its' fun watching the progress!!

C-Ya!!

Hi All,

Time for another update. I feel like I have turned the corner and on the downhill side of the build now. Made quite a bit of progress this weekend. Started by finishing the electrical work. Added the final circuit for the exposed outlets. It is a GFCI circuit since these will be wet locations. Mounted all the boxes and ran the wire for each and terminated with the outlets.

Here are a few pics of the completed electrical work.

TIP:

Notice in the picture below that all the holes in the studs lined up for the power and water runs. When I cut the first few and thought about it for a minute I decided that I needed to make all the holes line up so I could make a straight shot through them easily. Taking that into account early I was able to plan and cut that section first from each full length stud so they would match then made the second cut in the stud for the upright in the bar area and finally used the remaining portion of the stud for supports across the front of the where no service lines were needed. Not required if it is electric only running through the island but might save a few feet of wire but would be a pain trying to run pvc through them if they were not even.

Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning I got started really working with the Hardie Board. Started by closin of the grill compartment then the compartment under the side burner that will house the propane tank. Then moved on to putting in the sides of each cutout. Then installed the front pieces since they were the most involved to cut. I figure adding solid pieces across the back of the island will be easy since they will be straight cuts will no cutouts. I really needed to get the front on and cutout done so the granite guy can come and build the templates this week. The plan is to template on Tuesday the 10th then have it installed next Friday the 20th.

Here are some pictures of the hardie board progress.

Once I had the board in place for the critical area that needed it prior to templating for the granite I thought it best to test fit all the components.

Here is how it looks so far for the areas with hardie board installed.

Doors only.

Doors, Grill and burners.

It is nice to really see it taking shape. My wife and neighbors can finally get a good idea of the finished look now and see what all the cutting noise they have endured for weeks now with look like.

I have a couple more openings in the front to board up and finish then skin the entire backside. I hope I can get that done in one more good day then figure out how to stucco this thing. I am getting excited now that it is getting close.

Brad

Good Lord, how many people are in your crew? :-)

There is just no way I could get that much done in a couple of days. I started the electrical on my project this weekend and I still have one more solid day of work, and it's not nearly as much as yours. Of course I had to pull wire from the breaker box in the garage, but still...

Kudos to you, it is really coming together nicely. It IS getting exciting at this point, isn't it? I should be there soon!

Ha! Just me on the build crew. I like doing it myself and taking my time to think through things as they come. Honestly for me is like therapy as I forget about all the other problems going on in the world when I work on the island. I have had a few friends offer to help but I am of the addage "if you want it done right do it yourself" so while slower I just take my time and do it my way.

I am also pushing hard to get it done before the Florida heat gets here. When that happens it is just miserable to work outside. My plan to to be done before the humidity sets in so I can set back and enjoy it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Brad

I have to get busy this weekend and get the rest of the hardie board in for the front and compartments at least. The granite guy showed up yesterday and made the templates. He is cutting it today and says he will have it ready next week. I want to be ready for him when he shows up to install it.

Brad

I have to get busy this weekend and get the rest of the hardie board in for the front and compartments at least. The granite guy showed up yesterday and made the templates. He is cutting it today and says he will have it ready next week. I want to be ready for him when he shows up to install it.

Brad

Keep those pics coming. I have been working on the backyard for a week due to the wife's command to have it put on the "Rate my Space" page. We have had rain for the last 3 days so I am know behind. Look forward to seeing your completed island.

Reggie