Bigdog

Bayside Build

Hey Car54,

I bought mine from a local building supply store. They were a special order item. I have one left and it has a sticker on it that says it is from a company called USP Connectors USP# L12 Ref# 1212L Seems like they were about 5.00 each. You might go to the contractor desk of Lowes or Home Depot and ask. If can not get something like there go to a local lumber/building material yard and I bet they can order them for you.

Brad

Outstanding job on the island Brad! I'm getting reading to start on my island and it looks like we have the same Jenn Air grill. I've been trying to work things out with the cutout dimensions (the drawing and info that came with the grill leaves something to be desired) and have been unclear about the gap at the bottom of the grill. It seems excessive to me, so I did some searching and found that you had the same issue. Your stainless trim solution looks awesome and Dave's suggestion of trimming it out with granite or tile is good too. But if I could, I would just like to eliminate all or most of the gap since I still haven't started building. I also noticed that you didn't put in the two holes on the left side and back of the cutout as is shown in the drawing. I know the importance of adequate ventilation, but I just don't understand the purpose of the two holes and the 2" gap at the bottom of the grill when the bottom of the cutout is left open and the island has proper venting.

So Brad, ultimately my question is have you had any ventilation or performance issues with your grill?

Thanks to all for the great info on this site.

post-11392-0-22808500-1303233991_thumb.jpg

Jake

Thanks Jake for the feedback. As for ventilation issues the answer is NO. None at all. If I were doing it over I would not make the gap at teh bottom so wide that you have to do something to give it a finished look. I would make the depth smaller for sure. Also I did not have the cutout in the back right corner. If I recall correctly that is to feed teh gas line in and my island is deeper than the 21" minimum in the drawing so it was not needed. I live on the bay along the gulf coast so we usually have a slight breeze blowing as well to help move air in the island. So between the vent at the bottom, open bottom to the island and vents on the back of the island there is plenty of circulation.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Thanks for the quick reply. Its good to here that I can close that gap up. I also get a pretty good breeze where I live and plan on putting plenty of vents in the island.

I'll post up my project here in a few days after I make some progress. Thanks again for the help.

After replacing all the burners and grates in my grill this weekend I thought I had not visited this site in a while so decided to check in. Glad to see others are still building their island as well. One thing I noticed is all the pictures in the early part of this build are missing or at least I can not see them. Can other see them or at they missing for them as well?

As an update to the island everything is still doing great. Other than the burners and grates on the grill finally rusting out from use the rest of the island and components are still doing great. Fortunately the grill has a lifetime replacement warranty on the burners and grates for other than paying shipping and a little time to remove and replace no cost. I have been surprised at how well the rest of the parts on the grill and other components have help up. Everything is about 6 years old now and still going strong.

If someone can explain what the issue is with the pictures not showing up I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Brad

Brad, not sure about the photos, the site has gone through a few transformations since you first posted those pics, possible they were lost or deleted during one of those. Maybe Don or Dave can offer info here?

mike