Bigdog

Bayside Build

Thanks Reggie. I hear you on the rain. I only got a few hours of work in today because of the rain. Suppoed to rain most of tommorrow as well which we need however it will put me behind.

What is the "rate my space" page? What kind of project are you working on for it?

Brad

I have been following your build and I am very impressed so far. Make sure you get some photos of the granite install. When they templated mine, I gathered some shots as seen on my webpage. For those wishing to do granite, it is helpful to see the challenges and proparation ahead of time.

Thanks Dave for the kind words and encouragement. I will get some shots of them installing the granite if I can. I went by the fabricator today to check the status and see when they will be out to install it. Looks like they are trying to have everything ready to install it on Thursday afternoon. When I was at the shiop they were actually cutting my granite. It was cool to see it being cut and the edges polished.

I made some progress on the build this weekend but the rain slowed me way down. Only got in about half a day both Saturday and Sunday. I was able to get the hardie board installed for the sides in the left side compartments and the rest of the front done. I also got the hardie board in for the top and bar area. I know some do not do this but the granite fabricator strongly sugested doing it with 1/4" hardie board to give more surface area for the adhesive he uses and ensures a good bond.

Now all that is left hardie board wise in the back sides. I will get that done this weekend and it should not be too bad since it will all be straight cuts. I will also be installing vents high and low in the back panels. I will put it on after the granite installed so I can make the faucet connections easier. I will be able to get to both faucet connections with the granite in place and the back on however with the back opened up it will be easier.

By the end of the weekend I should have a functioning kitchen with working appliances. The only thing left will be to get the stucco on and install the low voltage led lights.

Sorry for the lack of pictures in this post but my wife is travelling with the camera right now.

Brad

Hi All,

Got a major step completed on Thursday with the installation of the granite. This is the only step that I have hired out as I do not have the tools to cut and polish granite. Nor a forklift to move the slabs to work with them. Turns out my outdoor kitchen is about 65 square feet of counter area with the bar. Most granite slabs whole are about 55 to 57 square feet. May be a good idea to factor this in so you do not end up needing two slabs. In the end I was able to get the 2 slabs on sale and have a fair bit of the second slab left. The fabricator is storing it for me. I may end up using it if I decide to build a firepit or buffet down the road. Another factor to keep in mind for granite is the slabs usually run from 110" to about 118" wide so planning for this will prevent you from having alot of seems in your kitchen. I have only 2 seems that are right behind the grill area since that area is very thin so they will not be noticable.

Here are some pics of the granite being installed. This is the largest slab being fitted first.

Here the backsplash is in now with one outlet cover on to make sure they will fit properly and the silicone in place ready for the bar top.

Bar going on.

Here is the area behind the grill being prepared to test fit where the seam will be.

Here he has some epoxy that is colored to match the granite to fill the seam.

Here is a shot of them cutting the hole for the side burner. He decided to make this cut once the granite was in place to get it exactly where needed. They also polished the edges in place.

Here is a picture of the completed granite install with all the components in place for a test fit. The faucets are not attached either just there to make sure they would go down the hole properly.

From the bar looking down the grill side.

And down the other side.

Here is the money shot. :) The sunset view from the bar area. The camera was sitting on the bar itself. The picture really does not do the sunset justice though. This is why I laid the kitchen out this way so guests can enjoy the view from the bar area while I am grilling.

Let me know if you have any questions about the granite install or want any other pictures. I have more just could not post them all.

Today the goal is to get the faucets installed, install sink drain line, outlet installed and make the final electrical connection to the house, connect NG gas lines for the grill and side burner, connect LP gas line for the recessed burner, work on LED lighting and try to get the hardie board installed on the back. I also need to fix the gap below the grill. The cutout dimentions in the grill documentation for depth where obviously way to deep. I am thinking though of building it up higher and incorporating vents in this area as well for good cross ventalation to the back vents.

Of course more pics to come.

Brad

Very well done Brad, and thank you for documenting the granite installation so well. In my 10 years on Forums, you are only the 2nd person I know of to document and share this process, I was the first.

I'm certain that many will follow, knowing that it can easily be done. Tiles are a lot more work and since I have had both can say are not even close to being as classy as having granite slabs.

Very well done Brad, and thank you for documenting the granite installation so well. In my 10 years on Forums, you are only the 2nd person I know of to document and share this process, I was the first.

I'm certain that many will follow, knowing that it can easily be done. Tiles are a lot more work and since I have had both can say are not even close to being as classy as having granite slabs.

Thanks Dave.

No problem sharing that is what it is all about. I have planty of other photos of the granite install if you are interested in them. I was not sure if there were limits posting them to the forum here so I tried to pick ones that would provide a good over view.

Brad

I made alot of progress this past weekend getting the hardie board on the back side of the island and completing the punch list of smaller things I made that needed to be finished once the granite was installed. I installed the faucets, connected the natural gas line for the grill and side burner. That was exciting getting to fire them up to make sure they worked properly. I was able to install the dante key and LP gas lines for the recessed side burner. I managed to make the electrical connection for the island to the house breaker panel as well. Once this was done I tested all the outlets and plugged in the fridge. Now I can have cold beverages close at hand while finishing the island.

Everything worked as planned. :blink: Whew. I now have a fully functional outdoor kitchen that we actually broke in on Sunday evening by grilling some chicken.

Sorry about no pictures for this update but the camera died. My wife is picking out a new one this week while I am travelling so when I get home I will test it out and get some pics posted of the back side of the island.

Brad

Great work and very impressive. It looks as though your grill is "hanging" from the sides or is it sitting hardie?

Just looked at the granite for mine and made a few selections but will be installing it myself. How deep is the main counter vs. the raised bar section?

Thanks and please continue to post pics/drawings/etc.

Most grills hang by the sides. The bottom needs clearance to breathe.

I have the Viking. Seems it sits per the instructions, although nothing I have found says hang vs sit. Seems that the sides aren't strong enough to hold the 300+ pounds. Sorry don't mean to hijack

Great work and very impressive. It looks as though your grill is "hanging" from the sides or is it sitting hardie?

Just looked at the granite for mine and made a few selections but will be installing it myself. How deep is the main counter vs. the raised bar section?

Thanks and please continue to post pics/drawings/etc.

Hey Petman,

Yes as Dr. Dave already said the grill is hanging by the sides. You would not think they would support the weight but the do. Most every grill I have seen hangs rather than sits to allow for air flow below the grill. My grill weighs 135 lbs. so the sides are designed to support that weight.

As for counter depth mine is 24 3/4" finished to the backsplash. Without the backsplash it would be 26". I wanted to give you both dimensions so you would not forget to factor in the backsplash depth. The bar area is 16" wide. It is plenty of space to use and even eat from with a full sized plate.

Thanks for the comments and hope this info help you.

Brad

Hi All,

We bought a new camera so I was able to get some new pictures of the current state of the build. I worked a little on it this weekend when it was not raining and got the lighting & bottle opener installed. I drilled 3 holes in the granite backsplash and installed 3 stainless LED light clusters that shine down on the counter and light it all the way across the counter. Each light cluster contains 3 LEDs. Also installed on the same lighting circuit is a single LED positioned behind the bottle opener on the front side of the island. This backlights the opener very well and mounts flush to the Hardie Board so it will not get in the way of the opener. For the second light circuit I mounted the single LED lights under the bar top to provide some ambient lighting for the back of the island.

The first picture shows the back of the island with the Hardie Board installed and the lights under the bar. They are on but hard to see since it is not quite dark enough. I have not figured out how to take night shots yet with the new camera but when I do I will get some when it is dark to show the LED lights in action.

This next picture show the lights installed in the backsplash and the swiches for the lights installed below the sink.

And finally a full shot of the front with the current progress. The faucets are installed in this shot.

I have to cut the vents both high and low in the back side of the hardie board and put the hardie board on the bar support under the bar. Once this is done I can move on to the stucco. I would like to get it done this coming weekend if it does not rain. We planning a outdoor movie in the backyard this Saturday night as well and will invite friends over to grill out and watch a movie if weather holds out. Looking forward to seeing how many folks we can get around the bar area.

Hope others find the information usefull and let me know if you have any questions.

Brad

Thanks for posting the pics, I really like how the lights came out. You will have to figure out how to get some nice night shots when it's completely dark so we can see the true effect. I am very anxious to see your final stucco work!

BTW, If you find that the lights are too "blue" you can warm them up with the diffusing lens they sell on their site. I prefer using them and they just press right into the light.

Thanks for posting the pics, I really like how the lights came out. You will have to figure out how to get some nice night shots when it's completely dark so we can see the true effect. I am very anxious to see your final stucco work!

BTW, If you find that the lights are too "blue" you can warm them up with the diffusing lens they sell on their site. I prefer using them and they just press right into the light.

Hey TECENG,

Thanks for the feedback. I still have not figured out a decent setting for a night shot with the new camera but will keep working on it. I would like to get some pics posted of the lights at night.

Also I am using the diffusing lense as well. In addition to warming them up it actually spreads the light in a wider pattern from about 70 degrees to about 140 degrees to light the space between the lights. They work very well. I used the single leds below the bar mounted in a single pod fixture and was able to push the light into the fixture a little further than flush. This allowed me to take a small hole punch from a gromett kit and trim down a difussing lens and it fit perfectly in the pod with the led recessed in a bit. They stay in with no adhesive. Again worked well to widen the light beam rather than having a narrow bright beam.

Brad

I have not really made any progress on the build since the last update as I took some time off to spend with the kids while they were on spring break. I did try mixing some stucco up to test the tint color. I used the brown tint and it called for grey base finish stucco but I could not find grey so I tried white base. The stucco came out a light tan almost pink color. I will have to hunt around for the grey base stucco and test it again. Glad I tested it first before just putting it on and having to redo it. Since I did have it mixed up though I did practice applying it to some scrap pieces of Hardie Board. Even with no adhesive once it dried there was a good bond. I could not chip it off the board easily nor get it to pop off by flexing the cement board. Now I know with the cement glue it should never come off.

I did spend most of Saturday afternoon doing yard work and getting ready to have some friends over to break in the new grill and watch an outdoor movie.

I know this is a little off topic however the idea for the movie screen came out of the design/brainstorming stages of the outdoor kitchen. The short story is while planning for the island about 18 months ago my wife kept asking me if I was going to put a TV in it. I kept saying “no” because there was not a great way to do it and still have the focus from the bar area be the water view. After about the 4th time of her asking me the idea hit me that I was given a decent used DLP projector that I had never used and it was still in the closet so why not build a real movie screen for larger audiences to enjoy at night like the old drive in theaters. I already had the audio portion under control since I had installed outdoor speakers throughout the backyard a couple years before. So I ran a video feed and power under the pavers into a covered box I installed close to the edge of the pavers bought a cheap music stand to hold the projector and I had the video covered. I bought a 12’ * 12’ light truss for about 150.00 to use as a frame and some blackout cloth material for the screen. Sewed black webbing on the edges of the blackout material to give it a nice border and to mount some grommets in, attached it to the frame with 9” ball bungee cords and we were in business. A portable outdoor movie screen that I can have up or down in less than 15 minutes.

I have attached a couple shots of the movie screen setup with the view from the bar area.

Once people started arriving I fired up the grill and cooked for about 20 folks then once the sun set we cranked up the movie and enjoyed a nice evening outside. Kids always seem to get a kick out of watching movies outside on a 150” screen.

We did several movies outside last year but it was much nicer this time having the outdoor kitchen and cold beer in the fridge. The side burner did a great job on the popcorn as well.

If anyone wants more details on the movie setup let me know and I will be happy to share.

Once I find some grey base stucco I will test the color of the tint again and hopefully get it applied to finish the project up.

Brad

Finally figured out how to turn the flash off on the new camera so here are a couple of better night shots to show the lights.

Here is one of the back side of the bar. These are single LED lights with a diffuser to help spread the lights out.

Here is one of the front of the island showing the lights in the backsplash and one in the bottle opener above the trash can.

And one with the flash on for a little more perspective.

I was sitting on the upstairs balcony today and took this overhead shot of the island.

Still no luck find grey base finish stucco. I called the Quickrete plant for my area and they do not make it for this area. I will try contacting Sacrete tommorrow to see if they have it in this area.

Brad

VERY nice! I like the idea of the light behind the bottle opener.

The overhead shot is a winner, really shows the layout well.

I am very anxious to see the final stucco work, that will really pull everything together!

What are you going to do with all your free time after this project is done? :)

Thanks TECENG. Still no luck finding grey base finish stucco in my area. I have talked to both sakrete and quickrete and they say they provide it in the west coast but not the east coast. I may end up having to paint the stucco rather than tint if I can not find it anywhere. Before I go that route I will contact some professional stucco contractors and see if they have access to it somehow.

As for time really been enjoying the grill. I have taken some vacation or had family in town the last few weekends so I have not been able to really hunt down the stucco. Out of town this weekend going to the race at Talladega so no progress in the immediate future either. Maybe next week when I get back I will be able to jump back on it. I really want to get it finished and quit worrying about it.

Brad