Bigdog

Bayside Build

Thanks TECENG. Still no luck finding grey base finish stucco in my area. I have talked to both sakrete and quickrete and they say they provide it in the west coast but not the east coast. I may end up having to paint the stucco rather than tint if I can not find it anywhere. Before I go that route I will contact some professional stucco contractors and see if they have access to it somehow.

As for time really been enjoying the grill. I have taken some vacation or had family in town the last few weekends so I have not been able to really hunt down the stucco. Out of town this weekend going to the race at Talladega so no progress in the immediate future either. Maybe next week when I get back I will be able to jump back on it. I really want to get it finished and quit worrying about it.

Brad

I'll be watching for you on the big screen. Who is your favorite driver? Do you play Fantasy Nascar?

I'll be watching for you on the big screen. Who is your favorite driver? Do you play Fantasy Nascar?

Another Nascar fan here. My favorite (from when he was a kid) is Jeff Gordon. He's not popular around here, most of the local fans are those who jumped on the bandwagon a couple of years ago when Dale lit up the world. But the sparkle is dying a bit, sponsors are backing down and the coverage is not what it was a couple of years ago. But that's fine for me - the Speed channel, Nascar.com, several mags and network still satiate me! :) I was ecstatic for Mark this past weekend - the man really deserved it! I've been to both Dover and Poconos (local for me) and a couple times to New Hampshire. I'd love to get to Talladega sometime, or even Daytona. But the wife is no longer into racing (since I quit motorcycle racing in '84), and gets bored with the 'round & 'round.... So, tv and the couple local tracks suffice. Have a great time down there - it's certainly one of the most prestigious tracks. Maybe bring your camera and post a couple shots from there? :)

Mike

Being a Caterpillar empolyee, it is hard for me to not like Jeff Burton, That said, our local boy here is Jimmie Johnson. Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr round off my top 4 drivers.

I had the pleasure of shaking the "Kings" hand on my 50th birthday at PIR, his driver happened to win that race. The 43 car has not been in the winners circle since.

I run a Fantasy Nascar Team here and enjoy smoking the rest of the team every year. Speaking of Smoke, Tony Steart would make #5 for me.

I was sitting on the edge of my chair hollaring for Mark to win as well. He deserved that one and it has been a long dry spell for him. At least he was in a

Chevy this time.

Hey Guys glad I struck a nerve with the NASCAR comment. I am a Hendrick/Chevy guy myself. I like most of the other guys except the Busch brothers and Robby Gordon. I think they are all a bunch of whiners. I have been to a few tracks myself. Texas a couple times, Daytona 4 or 5 times, Lowes and we go to Talladega every year. Take the camper and make a long trip out of it. Been going for about 6 years now. We have some friends that come now and I was able to get 2 reserved spots next to each other so it is nice. If fact I have the camper loaded and ready to go just have a little work left this morning then it is off to the track this afternoon. Planning to stay all weekend and come home Monday.

Dave this is the first year that I have not done the fantasy league. Honestly when it was time to get started with it I was buried in my build so I was foxusing all my attention there. Now that it has slowed and I am nearing completion I regret not doing it this year. I really miss it. If you have an opening in you league next year I would love an invite.

Brad

BigDog,, first and foremost, awesome job!!!

I am about to embark on an island. I think I am like you, do it all myself to get it right.

I have some questions that I bet others may be wondering as well. If you could respond that would be great and much appreciated. I tried to look for answers, so apologies if they were embedded in your posts.

-LED's - what brand, where did you buy them?

-you ended up with space below your grill, was that because you didn't factor in the granite?

-how much did you pay for your riveter? Model? and would you be interested in selling yours?

-any concerns about water getting into the island via the grill? or did you caulk the grill to the granite? I've seen some people put drains in their islands but mainly for ice chest drainage.

-what thickness hardi-backer did you use?

-How is the bar counter holding up? Would you have done anything differently? I take it your granite was standard 3/4 inch thick?

-when they stuck the granite to the hardibacker, did they just use epoxy glue?

-any issues with the sink drain, draining? Most backyards are sloped away from the house. making it more difficult. But maybe you are draining into that lake/(ocean) behind your house.

-why no kegerator?

Costs:

Granite:

Steel Studs:

Hardibacker:

other:

Thanks a million!! I'll be sure to mention to my friends where I got the inspiration.

I am about to embark on an island. I think I am like you, do it all myself to get it right.

I have some questions that I bet others may be wondering as well. If you could respond that would be great and much appreciated. I tried to look for answers, so apologies if they were embedded in your posts.

-how much did you pay for your riveter? Model? and would you be interested in selling yours?

Costs:

Granite:

Steel Studs:

Hardibacker:

other:

Thanks a million!! I'll be sure to mention to my friends where I got the inspiration.

I saw that he got it on ebay for $25 not sure of the brand.

-=jason=-

Dave this is the first year that I have not done the fantasy league. Honestly when it was time to get started with it I was buried in my build so I was foxusing all my attention there. Now that it has slowed and I am nearing completion I regret not doing it this year. I really miss it. If you have an opening in you league next year I would love an invite.

Brad

It's not tpo late to join my team if you want. We have only had 8 races this season so far. They take the top 15 and drop off your worst scores so unless you score really low your first 15 games, you could be in the running in no time.

Let me know, and I will send the invite. It is a private group but I am the manager so I can invite anyone. I just need your email address to send it. This is the Las Vegas Upickum League. At present, I am rated 12th out of 2659 players.

-you ended up with space below your grill, was that because you didn't factor in the granite?

-any concerns about water getting into the island via the grill? or did you caulk the grill to the granite? I've seen some people put drains in their islands but mainly for ice chest drainage.

-How is the bar counter holding up? Would you have done anything differently? I take it your granite was standard 3/4 inch thick?

-any issues with the sink drain, draining? Most backyards are sloped away from the house. making it more difficult. But maybe you are draining into that lake/(ocean) behind your house.

-why no kegerator?

Costs:

Granite:

Steel Studs:

Hardibacker:

other:

I can help with a few of your queries. First of all, granite is measured in metric. It comes 2cm and 3cm. 2cm can be installed over 1/4" HB, the 3cm stuff can go directly over your steel studs. All the installers I know use Polyseamseal to attach it to the counter tops. The same for back splash if you have it. They will use epoxy to bond seams between granite slabs.

I used a manual pop rivet gun, but Harbor Freight sells power ones if you don't need the exercise. LOL

-why no kegerator?

Costs:

Granite:

Steel Studs:

Hardibacker:

other:

Hey Johnon,

Sorry for the delay in repling to your questions but I was out of town with not internet access. Thanks for the kind words and glad you have found some of the other info in the posts helpfull.

I will try to answer all your questions here in order:

Not sure the brand name however they all came from http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/ligh...ures/index.html They have several options and colors to choose from and various mounts for them depending on your need. I used the microstars and the tri cluster balls in stainless steel.

Actually I did factor in the granite. This is the space defined by the instructions for the grill I bought. I agree that it is to much and am having a trim ring made for the cutout so the sides and bottom will look finished and it will have a louvered wide piece below the grill to fill the space. It will provide the vented required for the grill. I am having it made at a local sheet metal shop since they have 304 stainless.

I bought mine from ebay about 24.99. Here is a link to one on ebay now that is like the one I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-RIVET-GUN-pop-rive...%3A1%7C294%3A50 Since it was not terribly expensive I will keep mine as I have actually used it a couple times around the house to fix other things.

I have a cover over the grill so not much water has gotten in the island. I have not caulked around the grill yet as I willneed to pull it out once I put the stucco on.

I used 1/2" for the bottom/floor and 1/4" for the sides.

take a look at some of the earlier posts in this thread where I describe building the bar. It details using the "L" brackets and how I made the cuts for the joint. It is very strong. I would not change anything about how I built the bar now that it is done. The granite is 3cm or 1 3/16" so it it very thick and heavy. My construction method supports it well and I can even stand on it and I am close to 300 lbs.

They used silicon in tubes and put it on the hardibacker then set the granite in place. Once dried very solid bond. My granite in my indoor kitchen was installed the same way. The epoxy is used for the seams/joints if any.

No issues at all with the sink drain. It drains to the side lot next to my house which is a drainage easement that slopes to the bay behind my house. I put a studor vent in the drain line as well for venting. The drain will handle as much water as I can put through it.

-why no kegerator?

:) I gave it some serious thought but honestly ran out of space. I was a toss up between that and the recessed side burner. The recessed side burner won. In the end I decided the fridge would hold beer as well as could be used for prepped food to be cooked etc. since there are not many times I would go through a keg of beer.

Costs:

Granite:

Steel Studs:

Hardibacker:

other:

As for costs check out this post. link to list I detailed all the cost break down of the build. It includes costs for granite, studs, hardiboard etc. everything is there. It is a little hard to read because HTML removes the tabs. If you want the spreadsheet I used I can email it to you if you provide me an email address.

Hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Brad

Brad

I think you have mine, please send the spreadsheet. My original spreadsheet with prices is 10 years old, I want to compare costs and see what 10 years has done to us.

Brad

I think you have mine, please send the spreadsheet. My original spreadsheet with prices is 10 years old, I want to compare costs and see what 10 years has done to us.

No problem. Spreadsheet sent to you via email.

Brad

Well looks like I finally found some stucco. Found a local distributor for www.acrocrete.com This is a premized stucco available in a variety of finishes and about 50 colors. I picked up 2 5 gallon buckets and had it tinted to their country tan color. I hope the weather is good in the morning to I can get it applied. Once I do that I would be able to wrap up the other loose ends pretty quickly. I will post more pics of the progress if all goes well tomorrow.

Brad

I was able to get started on the stucco this weekend. I was planning to do it Saturday and got up and started looking at it. Having never done stucco before I was looking forward to getting it on but afraid I would mess it up and not get a smooth finish so I kept delaying. Thought I had better get all the leaves up before putting on the stucco so they would not blow onto it and stick messing up the finish. Since I would have to get the lawn equipment out decided to cut the grass then blow all the leaves from the patio. Put off doing the stucco more by deciding I should get the flower beds planted for the year so off to Lowes for plants and mulch. Ended up spending the day getting all the lawn work done and worrying about the best way to get the stucco on and a nice finish.

After fearing it as long as I could I got up Sunday morning with the idea that this would be the day to get some stucco on the island. Spent most of the morning doing the prep work of removing all the doors, grill, burners, outlet covers etc. Then moved on to taping the underside of the granite to get a nice smooth line and not get it all over the underside of the granite. Taped paper down on the pavers to keep the stucco off of them and to make clean up easier. Gathered everything I thought I might need. Trowels wooden and metal, Sponges, bucket of clean water, putty knife and drill with mixing paddle, paint pan and paint roller for concrete adhesive.

I debated whether to start in the front and have to deal with all the cutouts or start on the back where the pieces would be solid. My fear of startng on the back was not getting a smooth finish and getting it to thick is spots creating waves in the stucco. In the end I decided to start on the front as it would give me a chance to work with the material and the smaller sections would not be noticable if there were waves in it since the cutouts and doors would probably hide anything like that. I also was starting to run out of time so I figured if I could get the front done then when it dried I could mount the doors permanently and put all the components back in even if the back was not completed.

Time to start. Began by rolling on the concrete glue. While waiting for it to get tacky I opened the premixed and tinted 5 gallon bucket of stucco and used the paddle bit and drill to mix it one last time. When the glue was tacky I got the trowel and started applying it. I tried both the metal and wooden trowel as they each produce a different finish. The metal trowel draws more water to the surface giving a smoother finish. The wooden on produced a rougher more traditional stucco finish so that is the one I used. Worked the material on the cement board and after a few minutes really got the hang of it. I found it easier to start from the bottom and work up rather than from the top and work down. Being worried about thickness and trowel lines in the finish I had my wife look over me and point out and thin spots or bumps in the finish. This worked very well to have a second set of eyes looking after me. Once I was ready to move down a little I would use the putty knife to run across the edges of the cutouts to clean them up and provide a straight smooth finish for the edge.

After getting the hang of it it went pretty fast. I took my time and did not get in a hurry and was able to get the front done with all the cut outs in about an hour. Unfortunatley I had to stop with just the front done as we had plans for the late afternoon so I cleaned the trowels and other tools and left the stucco to dry.

Here are some shots once I finished applying the stucco. It was still wet in these pictures so it looked a little more yellow and once it dried the color came out as expected and a little darker. It was called country tan and when dry is not yellow but rather tan.

In the end I think I did alot of worrying for nothing. Much easier than I expected and I am very pleased with the finish. The clean up in the front was very easy and the brown paper kept the pavers clean from the mess. The tape did its job as well keeping the granite clean and providing nice straight lines for the edges where needed.

I am hoping that one night this week I can get the back side done and everything reinstaled.

Let me know what you think of the stucco so far and if you have any quesitons.

Brad

Brad

Very well done! I keep telling people how easy it is and how only a single thin coat is enough, sounds like you nailed it. A previous post from someone is convinced he needs 2 coats and a lot thicker than necessary. Why do they come here for advice when they are not going to follow it?

I hope to see your finished photos soon.

BTW, Good Job on your first Nascar showing at Dr0nk.

Brad

I like it, it does look like you got the hang of it. One question: how long did it take for the glue to get tacky?

I am going to apply stucco to the back of my island as no one will see it and I would rather not go to the expense and trouble of continuing the cultured stone on the back. It looks like I should have nothing to worry about (not that I don"t believe you Dave...). REALLY glad to hear it was easy, and you did all that in about an hour!

Looks great!!

I am a few months behind on my buildout but thanks for all the tips along the way it has helped immensely,

Steve

My stucco concern is that I need to match the stucco on the side of the house. It is a skip trowel / knock down pattern. The only way I know how to do this is in two coats. First a smooth one, then the texture coat. I have done this with drywall in one coat before but the texture gets sprayed on and then troweled over.

Anyone here use this method on their kitchen yet?

I like it, it does look like you got the hang of it. One question: how long did it take for the glue to get tacky?

I am going to apply stucco to the back of my island as no one will see it and I would rather not go to the expense and trouble of continuing the cultured stone on the back. It looks like I should have nothing to worry about (not that I don"t believe you Dave...). REALLY glad to hear it was easy, and you did all that in about an hour!

Hey Tom,

The glue actually dried faster than I thought it would. I put some on around all the cutouts thinking it would take 20 or 30 minutes to dry and stirred the stucco one last time. When I went back to the first place I put it on it was dry. It was hot and the wind was blowing a little so I am sure that speed up the process. The cement board seemed to soak it up well also. It had some grip when dry compared to hardie board that had no adhesive but not real tacky/damp. So in the end I decided to put it on a section at a time and only what I could stucco in a few minutes. As I got ready to slide down to stucco the next section I had my wife roll some adhesive on the section then I would apply the stucco. This way the glue was a little damp and a little more tacky when the stucco hit it.

I agree with you on the the stone expense for the back. No reason to put it on when it will not be seen and stucco will work just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Brad

My stucco concern is that I need to match the stucco on the side of the house. It is a skip trowel / knock down pattern. The only way I know how to do this is in two coats. First a smooth one, then the texture coat. I have done this with drywall in one coat before but the texture gets sprayed on and then troweled over.

Anyone here use this method on their kitchen yet?

If you put the stucco on a little thicker then went back about 10 to 15 minutes after applying to knock it down with a metal trowel I think it will give you the desired look. The metal trowel pressed lighty over the finish will smooth it out in places and draw teh water to the surface for the knock down affect.

Brad